Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Interesting article on tipping
Old 06-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
Administrator

Interesting article on tipping

Interesting article on tipping. We'll be spending 3 days in Iceland soon so it is good to know that we would insult or embarrass if we leave a tip anywhere

BBC News - To tip or not to tip... or should it be banned?

"A New York restaurant has banned tipping to spare customers the bother, while some restaurants in other US cities have already replaced the gratuity with a fixed optional service charge. So is the discretionary tip falling out of favour in the land where it's king?"
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I just spent a month in Hong Kong and it was so great not having to tip anyone!

Most places just added 10% to your receipt.

I'm tired of feeling like a scum because I "only" tip 10% for average service instead of the standard 15% to 25%...
Old 06-14-2013, 03:11 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here is slink to a Freakonomics podcast covering much the same territory and more about differences in who tips who does not and who gets tipped and who does not:

http://www.freakonomics.com/2013/06/...radio-podcast/

And a restaurant in San Diego which banned tipping mentioned in the podcast:

http://thelinkery.com/blog/no-tipping/
Old 06-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just moved to Mexico and the situation is even more frustrating because some restaurants automatically add a tip to your bill while most others don't. It's annoying to always be on the lookout for the included tip.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
Administrator

It is interesting to read about tipping customs. I don't mind but find tipping while traveling causes some unwanted stress.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
Old 06-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of the worst was the policy of some restaurants in the UK to take employee tips and use them to get the employee's wages up to the minimum wage.

Revealed: how the restaurant chains pocket your tips - Home News - UK - The Independent

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
One of the worst was the policy of some restaurants in the UK to take employee tips and use them to get the employee's wages up to the minimum wage.
How is that different from the US? I thought our policy was that your base salary plus tips had to come up to minimum wage, so if your tips don't hit it, your boss has to cover the rest of the way. My waitress friends only make a bit over $2 an hour before tips.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arifriekinel View Post
How is that different from the US? I thought our policy was that your base salary plus tips had to come up to minimum wage, so if your tips don't hit it, your boss has to cover the rest of the way. My waitress friends only make a bit over $2 an hour before tips.
It's not different, very few restaurant servers make less than minimum wage with tips despite their minimum wage of $2.13/hr. Some/many/all states are required to make sure servers net at least the state non-tipped minimum wage, though not sure how that's enforced. Obviously, people wouldn't choose to be servers if the money wasn't a satisfactory option for them. I was a waiter in my 20's and I know servers in most restaurants still make good money, in upscale restaurants it can push 6 figures.

What's more surprising to me is that the tipped worker minimum wage has been frozen at $2.13/hr since 1991.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 06-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Where and when to tip how much in foreign lands can be very frustrating. Don't want to be looked at as Ugly American for either undertipping or "throwing money around." And, when you ask someone who's been in the country a while their guidance can be somewhat vague and nonspecific. I thought it was interesting that in Paris I was told a waiter in a nice restaurant considered a tip somewhat of an insult; that he was a professional and paid as such. Who knew?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In my state, businesses cannot use tips to make sure their workers get at least the minimum wage.

Here is a table of minimum wages for tipped employees in various states, based upon allowing tips to make up the minimum or not allowing tips to make it up to the minimum. Obviously, very few earn only $2.13 an hour.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped2012.htm#Washington

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Most states allow the employers to pay less than minimum wage with tips making up the difference (which I've never felt was right).
Old 06-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Most states allow the employers to pay less than minimum wage with tips making up the difference (which I've never felt was right).
I'd like to know what servers make with tips before making that judgement, a little data. YMMV

I was a waiter in a pizza joint, and then later in a semi-high end restaurant. I did very, very well with tips even after voluntarily paying my busboys out of my own pocket - no complaints. Lots of servers do very, very well even today, though undoubtedly it's harder at the low end diners at the like.
Quote:
As a server you can expect to earn significantly more than the minimum wage. Even at a family-style restaurant, diner, or chain restaurant, you will most likely deal with happy customers who tip between 15% and 20% of their bill, meaning you are making a significant amount of money hourly! In fact, the average a waiter makes per hour is closer to $15 an hour, which is more than double the federal minimum wage!
http://waitersandwaitresses.com/how-...-waiters-make/

Old 06-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I have no doubt that many servers do well with tips. My objection is a philosophical one that objects to allow tips to make up part of minimum wage. I believe that servers should be paid minimum wage and tips so should be in addition. I'm not asking you or anyone else to agree to with me.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have no doubt that many servers do well with tips. My objection is a philosophical one that objects to allow tips to make up part of minimum wage. I believe that servers should be paid minimum wage and tips so should be in addition. I'm not asking you or anyone else to agree to with me.
And neither am I...

Old 06-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How is that different from the US? I thought our policy was that your base salary plus tips had to come up to minimum wage, so if your tips don't hit it, your boss has to cover the rest of the way.
That's the way it is in most states. And in many/most establishments, the waiter/waitress will be getting a pink slip very soon if the boss has to make up the difference on a frequent basis (there are exceptions: unexpectedly slow business, etc). If Waiter A is bringing in enough tips to make minimum wage and Waitress B consistently doesn't, it's a relatively easy call.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Seems that the article is about high end places in cities like New York. We don't do that but do tip reasonably on the West Coast. Have never had a waiter chase us down and DW still loves me.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I have no doubt that many servers do well with tips. My objection is a philosophical one that objects to allow tips to make up part of minimum wage. I believe that servers should be paid minimum wage and tips so should be in addition.
I agree with this. I think having a carve out to allow some class of workers to be paid less than minimum wage is ridiculous.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Seems that the article is about high end places in cities like New York. We don't do that but do tip reasonably on the West Coast. Have never had a waiter chase us down and DW still loves me.
I had someone chase me down when I tipped only $10 on a $100 bill for 2 people.

Waiter said it's mandatory 15%...What? Nowhere did the menu say mandatory 15% for 2 people. The service was horrible. I wanted to tip 0% because it was so bad.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post

I agree with this. I think having a carve out to allow some class of workers to be paid less than minimum wage is ridiculous.
I pay it, but have never "got" this whole tipping thing. They should get a salary paid by business and bake it into the menu prices.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookgujy View Post
I had someone chase me down when I tipped only $10 on a $100 bill for 2 people.

Waiter said it's mandatory 15%...What? Nowhere did the menu say mandatory 15% for 2 people. The service was horrible. I wanted to tip 0% because it was so bad.
Generally my max is 12% unless the bill is really low then the % goes up. Seems most of the places we go to pool the tips -- that's my impression. Mostly I see no correlation between the tip and our service.
Closed Thread