Interesting Article on Why We Get Bored

I've learned that people who always seem dour and serious are not always unhappy.
They also don't want any help solving their problems, or else they'd have nothing to complain about and would be even more miserable...

Ah, I see you've met my exMIL. If they could bottle miserable attitudes, she'd be sold by the case in truckloads, coast to coast. :whistle:
Seriously, though, folks...I have met people of this type all through life. The farthest distance between 2 points is exactly the distance I keep from them. I just smile and wave :greetings10:as I fire up my escape pod.

Boredom and its resultant gloominess? I haven't experienced that yet. I have a different perspective as a survivor. I promise I won't dwell on that here. But it does set my bar at a different level than a lot of people I am acquainted with.

Ah, let me clarify something. My wife has a distant cousin who is probably like your exMIL. She would make everybody miserable. It is like it is her purpose in life.

What I am talking about and describing myself are people who like tranquility, who do not listen to rock or "agitated" music, but the somber melancholic type of music, who at a party feel content just to be an observer watching other people dance. These people look gloomy, but they do not seek to spread it to others. They would rather keep it to themselves.

I am not a boater, so do not know how I would feel on a long tedious cruise. However, when we go up to our 2nd home in the AZ boonies, we spend days reading, listening to music (the "gloomy" type again), or just meditating. We do not feel bored. And no, I am usually not miserable, but just in a deep pensive mood. Sometimes I feel a bit sad, and I like it that way.

DW and I are not the type who become stir crazy if we are not constantly on the move. In fact, watching Rachel Ray on TV cooking shows, we both agree that a nice person as she is, she would make us very nervous if we would be around her.

Back
Top Bottom