Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Interesting people you've met.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:58 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting people you've met.

Going through some old pics and found this one with Al McDonald, (taken near Oodnadatta, South Australia, circa 1961/2).

Al was a half-Maori who fought on the Kokoda Track/Trail in New Guinea during WWII The Kokoda Track | Australians in World War II | The Pacific War

Al subsequently became a boxer and a miner....and was affectionately known as the 'Mayor of Tennant Creek' Tennant Creek Headstones, Northern Territory, Australia #128

I met him when he advertised his willingness to take some passengers north, (friends had landed me a laboring job in Kununarra W.A.), so I went up to his large home on the Anzac Highway, (which at the time was Adelaide's expensive area).

Rode with Al as far as Alice Springs.......he kept us in fits with his stories of traveling with a boxing troupe in the Northern Territory.......here's one of my favorites:

Post war, (and it's probably not much different now), the 'towns' in the N.T. were basically mining camps...full of rough, tough, isolated and 'socially deprived' guys.

Al and 'associates' would arrive, set up a boxing ring, (by which time everyone was gathered around to watch), and put on a few 'exhibition bouts'.

When the mood was right they'd issue a 'challenge'....."Go three rounds with one of our guys and win (whatever amount of money)".

(Every camp/town had that one guy.....the local toughie...who, even if he wanted to, couldn't resist the peer pressure to 'show them'.)

Al said that, for the first two rounds, his guy would take a beating.....while the rest of his troupe was busy taking/placing, (what appeared to the suckers to be a foregone conclusion), bets.

Third round.....boxer would go in the ring and beat the absolute crap out of the 'contender' (as Al said "We were professional boxers, they weren't...they didn't stand a chance").

Money collected....trucks packed...gone....before anyone (of the suckers) clued in...if they ever did.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!