Join Early Retirement Today

Interesting take on SS
Old 06-19-2015, 04:10 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting take on SS

Don't Wait Until 70 To Retire. Here's Why. - Forbes
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2015, 04:46 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Um he says at 5% return, 66 is the age. But it looks like the line for 62 is higher.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:53 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Um he says at 5% return, 66 is the age. But it looks like the line for 62 is higher.
Forget SS, I was hoping he'd tell us where to get that 5% real return he assumed. He doesn't mention inflation, so the only way his "model" makes sense is to assume he's talking about real interest rates.

And for a guy who tells us that the assumptions critical to the whole decision, I wish he'd told us about them. Like the whole "SS going bankrupt" thing, and the money stopping. That isn't how it works--SS payments from workers continue to come in after the "trust fund" bonds are spent.

Shame on Forbes--the article and implied precision promise much more than they deliver. And again the "crossover" without the context that makes it useful. It ain't about the ultimate dollar amounts, it's about the utility of the dollars paid.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:07 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

No highlights? We all have to read the whole article just to find out whether it is worth reading the whole article?
Old 06-19-2015, 06:52 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting take on naked links without a little summary: they don't get clicked on.

Okay, from the article:

Quote:
I found myself wondering, abstractly, when should I retire? And close behind that thought came this one: when should I start taking Social Security? Somewhere along the way, I got an MBA in finance and marketing at Chicago, the quant school. We did a lot of modeling there, and so I decided to model social security, using a wide range of assumptions. I looked at three key ages: 62, 66, and 70; four interest rate assumptions for cash-flow discounting: 1%, 2%, 5%, and 10%. And two important assumptions about the solvency of the U.S. Social Security Administration. My only tool was a simple Microsoft Excel spreadsheet.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:25 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
No highlights? We all have to read the whole article just to find out whether it is worth reading the whole article?
No, you don't have to read the whole article. Guy makes a bunch of wild assumptions, does a partial analysis of SS payouts under those assumptions, congratulates himself on his use of cash flow discounting in the math. Seems to have no real understanding of what he's doing or why. But he got an article in Forbes. Woo Hoo.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

LOL, he didn't even show any numbers. Just lines on a graph, with the X axis as the interest rate, and the Y axis as "Higher Value" with an arrow pointing up. Tried to find the "interesting" part of his take, but I got nothing.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
No, you don't have to read the whole article. Guy makes a bunch of wild assumptions, does a partial analysis of SS payouts under those assumptions, congratulates himself on his use of cash flow discounting in the math. Seems to have no real understanding of what he's doing or why. But he got an article in Forbes. Woo Hoo.
thanks for saving me the time in reading the article.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:47 AM   #9

And retiring and when to claim SS aren't necessarily the same thing. But I didn't read the article so maybe the author touched on that.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Link did not work for me and search found the article but then when I tried to go to article the link did not work.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
That was my take. I had to read it three times yesterday because I thought it must be me simply not understanding the assumptions at first. Usually I find many good tidbits in Forbes articles. But in the final analysis I was surprised this one got past the editors.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote