Join Early Retirement Today

Internet Diagnosis
Old 11-17-2020, 08:57 PM   #1

Internet Diagnosis

Is there any way or anybody that can tell what’s going on with the (my) internet? I’ve done the simple things like rebooting everything and making sure everything is up to date. I just hate calling the cable company and talking to what is essentially a robot. I’m wondering if there is any way to diagnose the issue. I would really like to know for certain what’s wrong before I go any further. For example, my router is a nest router and only about 2 years old, but maybe that’s the problem. Of course I think it’s the cable company’s equipment that’s bad but I’d like to rule out everything that’s in my house before I go any further. Ideally, I’d like to point to a program and say with certainty that the signal is dropping out before it gets to my house.

FWIW, I’m getting intermittent dropping out of the internet. This manifests by stopping in the middle of a video, the spinning wheel when I click on a link, buffering when I’m streaming on my tv . . . When it’s working, it seems to work fine. If I run a speed test, I’m getting my contracted speed (about 200Mbps down and about 12Mbps up). But then for a minute or so on an intermittent and random basis, it just stops and does nothing. This lasts for a short period of time, maybe a minute or so, and then everything is back to “normal”. Until the next time. This happens often throughout the day and this started a couple weeks ago.

Any help, advise, would be appreciated.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2020, 09:07 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

One thing I would check is for updated firmware for the router.
Are you using the latest DOCSIS 4.0 modem?
retire-early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:08 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can empathize with your dilemma... especially if you have your own modem and don't rent a modem from the ISP... they are always quick to blame customer supplied modems or routers... I've been there.

One thing you can do is to connect your computer to the modem via an ethernet cable and see if the problem persists... if it does then it is either the modem or the cabling... if not then either the ethernet cable from the modem to the router or the router.

Another possible source is the coax cable from the wall to the modem... I actually had one go bad once... swapped out that cable as part of diagnosing a problem and it was fixed. How does a coax cable go bad just attached to the wall and the modem?

If those fail perhaps you could test at the first point of entry in the house to eliminate your inside wiring as the culprit.

I had another instance where it ended up being wiring in a box on the street... the box would get moisture and my internet would go bad... they fixed up the wiring in the box and we didn't have any problems after that.

Also, do you have the problem with more than one computer?

Its all a trial-and-error and process of elimination game.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire-early View Post
One thing I would check is for updated firmware for the router.
Are you using the latest DOCSIS 4.0 modem?
I did make sure the router’s firmware was updated.

I know nothing about the modem. It is the cable company’s modem.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

One thing you can do is to connect your computer to the modem via an ethernet cable and see if the problem persists... if it does then it is either the modem or the cabling... if not then either the ethernet cable from the modem to the router or the router.
I’m trying to avoid this. I don’t have anything except an old laptop that has an Ethernet port. My desktop has it, but I’d have to get about a 50ft cable to get that from the office to where the modem is. Unless I set up my desktop near the modem for a little while. With a random problem, that’s a crappy option.

Quote:
Also, do you have the problem with more than one computer?
I’m not sure on the desktop because I don’t use it that much, but it is doing this on my iPad, iPhone and my tv’s. The tv’s buffer enough that it’s not as apparent, but they’ll go into that pixelated look at times and they will sometimes even drop out completely and give the spinning wheel with the word “Buffering” on the screen.

Quote:
Its all a trial-and-error and process of elimination game.
I know. I’m really trying to avoid this. In years past, I wouldn’t have put up with it this long, but this is something I now very much detest.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:33 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What company cable? Xfinity login for me allows remote diagnosis for TV, internet and phone service I subscribe to. Since I also rent their router, which includes the modem, they seem to want to send out a tech the next day. Last time I found out that I was eligible for their newest router. If you have xfinity, then you should have their Xb6 series router. Google it and see if yours looks like that. If not, call and tell them you want to update. The cost is nothing since you rent theirs already. Set up is sooooo easy too! Plug in new router while leaving old router plugged in. Follow the youtube video they refer you to and watch as the machine updates from your old router to the new one including anything that was connected to the old router like cameras, Ring, TV, laptops, phones, etc. All there is on the Xb6 router is a tiny LED light. It changes color. When it turns white, it's ready! Nothing else needed to do than watch the LED change colors and then test things out when it turned white.
Good luck!
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:37 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
... I don’t have anything except an old laptop that has an Ethernet port. ...
Same thing here... new laptop doesn't have an ethernet port... I just fire up the old laptop if and when I need to.

I should buy a ethernet-to-USB adapter to go with my new laptop someday but the old laptop does the trick.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
What company cable?
Spectrum. If I can’t get a diy solution, my next step is to talk the modem into their office and ask for a new one. They hand them out without question and the office is only about a mile away.

I tried their diagnostic app, but it shows everything to be working. Of course, it is working okay, when it’s working. When it’s not working, I can’t use the app. So, the app is not a lot of help. I need something that can test the connection (like pinging something) without having to log in, which their app requires.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:53 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Wouldn't attaching the old laptop directly to the modem eliminate the modem as the culprit? IOW, if the old laptop works directly attached to the modem then it would have to be something after the modem... and vice versa.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:59 PM   #10

I had exactly the same symptom with Spectrum a few months ago. It turned out our singal strength was borderline. It would mostly work fine, but sometimes we'd get dropouts. They updated us to the latest modem and installed a signal booster and it's been fine since.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Wouldn't attaching the old laptop directly to the modem eliminate the modem as the culprit? IOW, if the old laptop works directly attached to the modem then it would have to be something after the modem... and vice versa.
Likely yes, but I’d have to endure updates and other crap from the laptop. It hasn’t been used in a couple years so in order to trust it, I’d have to get it working again. Otherwise, I’d just be adding another piece of equipment to the list of things that might be the problem. I may do that, but downloading a program and running a test seemed like a better option if one exists.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
I had exactly the same symptom with Spectrum a few months ago. It turned out our singal strength was borderline. It would mostly work fine, but sometimes we'd get dropouts. They updated us to the latest modem and installed a signal booster and it's been fine since.
Maybe I should just call them and get a tech out. I know they can test signal strength pretty easily. Just. Hate. Dealing. With. Them.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:08 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I did make sure the router’s firmware was updated.

I know nothing about the modem. It is the cable company’s modem.
making a network map will help. enter useful information like key settings for all devices.

usually there is a way to access the cable modem to view errors. same for router you have.

ping and traceroute are very useful commands.

hanging on to an old notebook and router pays off too!
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:52 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is there any way or anybody that can tell what’s going on with the (my) internet? I’ve done the simple things like rebooting everything and making sure everything is up to date. I just hate calling the cable company and talking to what is essentially a robot. I’m wondering if there is any way to diagnose the issue. I would really like to know for certain what’s wrong before I go any further. For example, my router is a nest router and only about 2 years old, but maybe that’s the problem. Of course I think it’s the cable company’s equipment that’s bad but I’d like to rule out everything that’s in my house before I go any further. Ideally, I’d like to point to a program and say with certainty that the signal is dropping out before it gets to my house.

FWIW, I’m getting intermittent dropping out of the internet. This manifests by stopping in the middle of a video, the spinning wheel when I click on a link, buffering when I’m streaming on my tv . . . When it’s working, it seems to work fine. If I run a speed test, I’m getting my contracted speed (about 200Mbps down and about 12Mbps up). But then for a minute or so on an intermittent and random basis, it just stops and does nothing. This lasts for a short period of time, maybe a minute or so, and then everything is back to “normal”. Until the next time. This happens often throughout the day and this started a couple weeks ago.
I'm in the same position with an internet that goes on and off. It's been driving me crazy, especially since I'm up much of the night online.

With so many people working from home and our local schools working online, it's almost like our cable internet system has been overloaded with useers. It's even worse on weekend nights.

I had the cable company out 2 weeks ago, and nothing improved after they checked out the system. I called them yesterday, and they did some remote analysis of the system--resetting the modem. It seems to be working better.

I found HughesNet satellite system to be cheaper than my internet service. I'm going to call back and ask for the "Legacy Dept." to complain about my poor reception and get them to lower the rate. Or, I'll go to satellite which is not as fast but more reliable. There again, I don't do anything but look at the internet--no downloads, etc.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:07 AM   #15

My guess is that the problem is not at your end, but just in case it is, a few things to try are:
  • DNS settings. Flushing the DNS tables and updating your DNS records and name servers can sometimes make a real difference. Changing to different name servers has helped me in the past.
  • Simply restarting the cable modem (and wifi router if separate) can be an almost magical fix.
  • Improving the signal strength of your wifi connection (moving it, changing to a different router, adding an extender, etc.) is usually a fix for this common issue.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:30 AM   #16

So it sounds like your issue is intermittent drops - not basic speed and connectivity?

Have you tried running a perpetual ping test to something simple like directly to comcast? We were getting multiple drops per minute so we knew that was the issue.
It was very frustrating - we're gamers.

We diagnosed the problem as coming from outside the house by going out to the wire where it connects to the house and connecting a laptop there - same ping drops. So that helped us remove all internal eq from the issue. If you have a laptop I'd recommend you try that.

Of course, comcast still insisted on sending a tech for inside the house. That's no good those dudes are HW guys and will fixate on your modem/router. They will run a speed test and say "look it's good". One visit ended up with DH yelling expletives to get the &%$% out of our house. He never does anything like that.

Anyway, eventually comcast realized it was the main box off our house with old wiring which was overheating or something, and ta-da.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:34 AM   #17

Jerry, is the TV wired or wireless? If it's wireless, do you know if you have only 2.4GHz band wifi or 5GHz, too? If you have neighbors nearby and use 2.4GHz wifi, you're likely to get interference, as there are really only 2 or 3 channels that can be used without noise or interference, and using this older band can often cause issues where the router has to bounce between channels.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:09 AM   #18

Cosmic - the TV is wireless but is on the 5GHz band. However, you gave me an idea. On of my tv’s is by the modem and is connected directly to the modem with a wire. It may take a day of watching tv to see the issue (because the streaming buffers better than the computers) but I guess I could watch a couple movies on that tv. It’s not our main tv, but not a big deal to park out in that room for awhile. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
So it sounds like your issue is intermittent drops - not basic speed and connectivity?

Have you tried running a perpetual ping test to something simple like directly to comcast? We were getting multiple drops per minute so we knew that was the issue.
It was very frustrating - we're gamers.

We diagnosed the problem as coming from outside the house by going out to the wire where it connects to the house and connecting a laptop there - same ping drops. So that helped us remove all internal eq from the issue. If you have a laptop I'd recommend you try that.

Of course, comcast still insisted on sending a tech for inside the house. That's no good those dudes are HW guys and will fixate on your modem/router. They will run a speed test and say "look it's good". One visit ended up with DH yelling expletives to get the &%$% out of our house. He never does anything like that.

Anyway, eventually comcast realized it was the main box off our house with old wiring which was overheating or something, and ta-da.
Thanks. I’m going to look into this and may have more questions, especially about connecting outside with a laptop. The DH (me) yelling expletives is exactly what I’m trying to avoid.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:33 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Jerry, not sure if you are connecting wirelessly or wired.

I've usually connect wired and had intermittent drop outs before. I originally thought the internet or my system was acting up.

Ended up the ethernet cable that I created (I like to create my own to get custom lengths) was bad. I verified that by using a simple ethernet cable tester.

If you are connected by wire, do you have another ethernet cable to test with? As others have mentioned, getting things working a process of trial and error or calling tech support .