Internet Exploder Issues

cube_rat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I only use Mozilla as my primary browser these days. I've had too many unpleasant issues with IE. Unfortunately, I have to use IE in order to do an on-line class. IE worked for several weeks until I loaded SQL server on my machine which I highly doubt impacted the browser.

I went to launch the browser and the hour glass spins. I don't even get a "page cannot be displayed" message. My network connectivty is fine. I went to see if I had the latest version of IE (I have: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158). I'm pretty sure this is the latest version.

Does anyone have any clues as why IE is acting up? :confused: I'm out of ideas.

I was supposed to do an exercise for a potential employer today (read weed out exercise) and the damn thing would not allow me to open the instructions link. No hour glass, nothing. It doesn't allow an applicant to restart the process and everything is timed. Didn't get it done and now I have to call them back for a new user id/password (read sound like an idiot) tomorrow. No idea what the problem was...

I wouldn't be surprised if SQL Server is the culprit.   Micro$oft is absolutely dainbramaged when it comes to controlling shared libraries that can affect functionality across apps.

It wasn't clear from your description if IE actually comes up.   Are you able to access menu items, for example?   If so, to see if it's hanging during your homepage load, change your homepage to "blank."    If that works, then take a look at your IE connection options.   Look for anything odd.   For example, maybe the SQL Server installation included some funky proxy server or something.    This would show up under your IE Lan Settings.

If all else fails, uninstall IE, and reinstall.

Wab - The IE frame comes up but it's not displaying pages. Just the hour glass.

I didn't think you could uninstall IE. I thought it's coupled with the O/S :confused:

Thanks Wab, I got it. I restored my internet settings back to default and rebooted. Now it works, but now I'm having login issues with the book publisher. Time to call help desk.

cube_rat said:
I didn't think you could uninstall IE.  I thought it's coupled with the O/S  :confused:

Yeah, that was their party line for the DoJ at least.

You can uninstall IE by going to control panel, add/remove programs, add/remove windows components, and then uncheck IE.

Oog. I have some vague recollection about SQL server install changing some javascript stuff that IE used and that causing a problem, along with some Office and SQL installs turning on script debugging in IE and sometimes the script debug error box would come up but not be in the foreground, causing an hourglass until you do something in the script debug box you cant see.

Resetting your IE settings to default would have unchecked the script debugging option, so thats probably part of it. The JS changes might be why you're still having trouble with the web site you're accessing if it uses JS.

Back
Top Bottom