Join Early Retirement Today

Internet help needed
Old 04-19-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Internet help needed

I'm probably one of the few still on dial up. I currently have AOL dial up for $10/mo. AT&T has a 'Fast DSL Lite' package for $10/mo with a contract period of 1 year.(new dsl customers) The slowest of their dsl packages but suppose to be 13x faster than regular dial up. You can get the same package without a contract but it's $20/mo.

Dumb question.........when you sign up for a service like this, does this give you the connection needed to the internet or do you still have to pay for one from a company as AOL? In other words, is the above DSL package just the pipe line to the net and you need a separate connection as AOL offers? Hate to ask dumb questions but not very computer savy.

Also, anyone on this package? Happy? Thanks for your help.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Dawg, I can't help with your second question, but as to the first - it's all you need. No AOL or other 3rd party required.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Dawg, I can't help with your second question, but as to the first - it's all you need.
Hmmm........looks like a no brainer. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Administrator

The dsl package also probably comes with some e-mail addresses as well. Or you could switch to a web based mail program like gmail (free). I would not fire aol until you have established this service and decided you like it.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I would rather work than use dial up. You'll never go back, sounds like a great deal.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have the next package up (25 bucks, no contract). It's a bit faster... I got spoiled when w*rking. So I pay up another 5 bucks for more pipe.
10 bucks sounds like a bargain. You get a bunch of email addresses, ...etc. I don't use them, so I don't know the details. I use hotmail and MSN (free).

I am happy with it the att dsl, ... would be happier if it were cheaper ... but I have to stay flexible since I plan on 4 to 6 months out of country each year.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:27 PM   #7

You don't need AOL. You will be much pleased with anything after enduring dial-up. I got spoiled at work with a T3 line as well, but at home have Verizon's version of DSL Lite. For what we do it's good enough. Often though the pipe you have is not the cause of the "World Wide Wait", it's other bottlenecks on the way so don't expect miracles.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:45 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

I started with the AT&T $10 plan about 6 months ago. It's like a whole new world opened up. I'll NEVER go back to dial-up. But I'm sure I signed up with a 2-year contract, not 12 months. Also, the modem is 10 payments of $7.50 each, which is added to my telephone bill each month. I think it's a great deal.
Den26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:27 AM   #9

I've been on some form of high speed or other for about 8 years (fiber optic here, dsl at another location)...will never go back. Would rather give up something else if something had to be given up...

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:48 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Like others here I have had high speed internet (DSL at first, then cable modem) for a long time, ever since it first became available to me in 1999. I can't say that I would never go back, but it is not very likely!

I still have AOL, but can use their free service (same e-mail addresses, same content & software) now that I do not need their dial-up numbers.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:44 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I'm probably one of the few still on dial up. I currently have AOL dial up for $10/mo. AT&T has a 'Fast DSL Lite' package for $10/mo with a contract period of 1 year.(new dsl customers) The slowest of their dsl packages but suppose to be 13x faster than regular dial up. You can get the same package without a contract but it's $20/mo.

Dumb question.........when you sign up for a service like this, does this give you the connection needed to the internet or do you still have to pay for one from a company as AOL? In other words, is the above DSL package just the pipe line to the net and you need a separate connection as AOL offers? Hate to ask dumb questions but not very computer savy.

Also, anyone on this package? Happy? Thanks for your help.
I have DSL through my phone company you get the connection and usally it is through internet explorer if you have firefox it can be set up that way in a sense it is a pipe line when I was showing how it all worked to my kids and others, I use to call it a "car and when you leave in your car it is then internet explorer that is the road I also used to tell them if you get into trouble always go home hit the home button"..I paid the extra to have the local DSL provider to set it up they usally give you a modem or some type of divise and they make sure it is working right for you to start ...you can set your home page where you want but I set mine where I get my mail from, in my case I get it through my DSL provider and my other emails I just go to when I want to retrieve those like yahoo , excite, hotmail, gmail, etc, sometimes aol will charge a fee for using the email

Good luck
kathyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I've been on some form of high speed or other for about 8 years (fiber optic here, dsl at another location)...will never go back. Would rather give up something else if something had to be given up...
C'mon, HFWR, there's gotta be a rock & roll comment in here somewhere.

Best I could come up with was "I used to have a drug problem, but now I make enough money to afford it..."

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

My MIL has this package. She does not use the internet very much so it's fine. But I find the connection quite slow compared to my cable internet connection. But if all you know is dial up then it should be a real treat for you! Also you don't need any third party software to access the internet, but since she is used to AOL, my MIL still uses their free AOL software for email and web surfing.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Dial-up is so slow that you want to get out and push.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #15

My Son just got this service down in JAX FL he pays the $10 a month but he did have to go purchase a Modem of some kind for it ($25) although I am sure the provider would be glad to rent you one by the month. This is a complete connection to "HS" Internet service, nothing else to purchase. Will be a lot better than Dial Up but not as good as the slowest cable connection.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #16

Modem cost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den26 View Post
I started with the AT&T $10 plan about 6 months ago. It's like a whole new world opened up. I'll NEVER go back to dial-up. But I'm sure I signed up with a 2-year contract, not 12 months. Also, the modem is 10 payments of $7.50 each, which is added to my telephone bill each month. I think it's a great deal.
What! $77.50 for the modem Highway robbery! The $10 rate is nice, how much will it be at the end of the contract?

Modems should run $55-$60. I paid $55 for Qwest DSL (the lowest speed available) and $33.95 per month -- it would be $5 cheaper if I wanted to spend another $15 a month on my land line. I did the math and decided to pass on call waiting, etc. on the land line.

-- Rita
Old 04-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
What! $77.50 for the modem Highway robbery! The $10 rate is nice, how much will it be at the end of the contract?

Modems should run $55-$60. I paid $55 for Qwest DSL (the lowest speed available) and $33.95 per month -- it would be $5 cheaper if I wanted to spend another $15 a month on my land line. I did the math and decided to pass on call waiting, etc. on the land line.

-- Rita
You can provide your own modem. I have seen some refurbished ones on the net for $25. The rate for no contract is $20/mo so I would expect that will be the rate after the contract expires.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably give it a try.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post

R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
C'mon, HFWR, there's gotta be a rock & roll comment in here somewhere.

Best I could come up with was "I used to have a drug problem, but now I make enough money to afford it..."
I bet he could thread a swing machine running wide open...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:09 AM   #19
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
You can provide your own modem. I have seen some refurbished ones on the net for $25. The rate for no contract is $20/mo so I would expect that will be the rate after the contract expires.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably give it a try.

That is correct. After my contract expires, the new rate will be $19.95 monthly. They did say I could provide my own modem, but I chose to get theirs, which includes a warranty, and phone support, in case there are any problems. I am very satisfied with AT&T service.
Den26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post

-- Rita
My Son signed up for a similar deal and his modem was $25 with Bell South (ASDL).