Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

into the room they come and go...
Old 08-28-2005, 01:18 PM   #1

into the room they come and go...

talking of Michelangelo...

Donner's back!

can you believe it?!* and after slogging through what most certainly was at least a few hundred backlogged messages, I see that charlie is gone.* Or is he back?* and th too!* gone or present, my head is blowing.* I'm so freakin confused.* I need a drink.* NOW.* who's on first?* who's trying to outrun the big blow??* Anyone else worried about our happy burbler, unclemick?

anyhow, after reading the charlie thread, it's apparent that it is increasingly difficult to keep track of the cast of characters here.* especially if you only participate to partake in self-absorbed prattle.* like me.* or to re-read your own own posts ("Tozz, dude--AWESOME message!").* I find it easier with puppets.* anyone else do this?* my puppets are next to my computer, so when I read a message, the puppet acts it out.* The caroline puppet has big glasses.* why?* it's why she's so good at reading between the lines.* that caroline.* then there's the puppet with all the clingy thai ladies.* or are they boys?* hey--who cares!* don't forget the marshac and laurence puppets, wise beyond their years.* crowd-pleasers too, you just want to pinch their cheeks and go goochygoochy goo.* gooch goo!* hey who's that?* the puppet with the pony tail and surfboard. does ebay sell old Ventures albums?* hey, who's the chef.* the one with the smirk, and twinkle in his eye.* ah, who is lurking in the background.* is 'gravitas' gender neutral?* it should be, cause that's what our grande dame is all about:* marsha.* Marsha, babe, talk to me!* then there's that trombone guy, the wild wild cat, the wab puppet, oh my, just too many to keep track of.* but to keep us all centered, we have th and john galt.* no, wait a second, they look like punch and judy.* only with big big brains!* And even bigger sticks! this is too freakin intense.* oh no, don't, DON'T.* put that down.* no...* whack whack!*

whackwhack!* whack whack Whack!

* *WHACK!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: into the room they come and go...
Old 08-28-2005, 01:31 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tozz, your message reminds me of that ancient Tao wisdom:

It is better to have a bottle in front of me
Than a frontal lobotomy
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:32 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dont talk about my big stick in mixed company. Its tough enough when every supermarket cashier grabs my kid and kisses on him and then wants to ruin my marriage...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 06:11 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabmester
Tozz, your message reminds me of that ancient Tao wisdom:

It is better to have a bottle in front of me
Than a frontal lobotomy
OK, could be a CHP. But it is* good CHP.

I'm glad to see that I am not the only reader who finds all the "I'm leaving! No. I'm back! No, wait a minute, now I really am leaving! a bit like the histrionic ravings of a 15 year old girl.

haha

Old 08-29-2005, 07:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sure there are a hundred studies out there, but the social dynamics of on line communities are quite fascinating. For example, how much more volatile conversations can get, yet how quickly a heated exchange can be forgotten. I mean, I'm sure everyone will protest they would gladly say the things in person to whomever that they say in the comfort of an anonymous message board, but I have yet to meet anyone in person who has. I try to come across exactly as I am in person, although sometimes I re-read my posts and say, "man that was sappy!".
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 08:45 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
like the histrionic ravings of a 15 year old girl.
Gee Mikey, never realized what an expert you are on 15 year old girls...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
Gee Mikey, never realized what an expert you are on 15 year old girls...
Cool! This metadiscussion about bitch slapping is turning into a bitch slap!
Old 08-30-2005, 07:24 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

"metadiscussion", I'm keeping that one!
Old 08-30-2005, 08:07 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I'm sure there are a hundred studies out there, but the social dynamics of on line communities are quite fascinating. For example, how much more volatile conversations can get, yet how quickly a heated exchange can be forgotten. I mean, I'm sure everyone will protest they would gladly say the things in person to whomever that they say in the comfort of an anonymous message board, but I have yet to meet anyone in person who has. I try to come across exactly as I am in person, although sometimes I re-read my posts and say, "man that was sappy!".
Laurence, do you really say "dude" in real life? I never hear anyone really say that. Or "awesome" for that matter. Do hear "you suck" on occassion though. (no, not directed at me )

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:03 AM   #10

Martha....you hang out in the wrong crowds if you don't hear that lingo.

Teen age boys really say Dude and awesome.....though Laurence is older than that....must be a carry over from his younger days
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:04 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

(sigh) sadly, I do say, "dude!" and "awesome"...I also say "oh, snap!" and "fo' shizzle my nizzle!" but I've avoided using that phrase here, I'm actually a pretty animated person, and have a tendancy to monopolize conversations, though people say they don't mind since they find my antics amusing....yes, and I get an occasional blank stare at work.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:14 AM   #12

Far be it for me to deny anyone the exquisite joy of beating up on themself, but "heartfelt" or "earnest" or "sincere" etc, etc, etc might convey the same thing without a vaguely negative connotation.

Quote:
"man that was sappy!"
Old 08-30-2005, 09:23 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I also say "oh, snap!" and "fo' shizzle my nizzle!"
Translation please, I don't have my English to Dude dictionary. :P

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:25 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ya, I'm usually the butt of my own jokes in person, too. People get really stressed here, and I don't want to offend anyone during my attempt to introduce some levity into the room. But earnest, yes, that word fits me well.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:31 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Translation please, I don't have my English to Dude dictionary. :P
oh, snap! is just oh sh**, like, "oh, snap! you got played!" and well , the other, now that I think about it, probably should be said by white bread like me, but the beginning is "For sure...".

Normally I speak mid-atlantic english at work, very proper. It's just when I get excited, like when we got our 60 terabyte array in that I get excited and fall back to my college lingo. It's even pretty dated, I probably sound to teenagers like I'm saying, "whoa, gnarly dude!" or "that's groovy!" :P
Old 08-30-2005, 10:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Translation please, I don't have my English to Dude dictionary.* *:P
fo' shizzle
Old 08-30-2005, 10:22 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Number 7 had me rollin'!*

*Suge Knight founded Death Row records, which at one time recorded artists like 2pac, Snoop Dog, and other pioneers of the genre. He is persistently hounded with unsubstantiated rumors of nefarious acts like holding Vanilla Ice out a ten story window until he agreed to sign all his residuals over. He clocks in at about 6' 4" 300lbs.