Join Early Retirement Today

Inversion Table For Lower Back Pain
Old 06-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Inversion Table For Lower Back Pain

Anyone here on the forum use one ? Comments, good, bad or indifferent. I have been diagnosed with a deteriorating disc between L-4 and L-5 a number of years back. I do back exercises daily but the lower back seems to get really stiff as the day goes on, as well as really being stiff in the morning.

Just wondering if anyone here uses one and might have a recommendations to make, model, etc. Also surely this would qualify as a legitimate expense from my HSA account, wouldn't it ?

Appreciate any and all replies.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My dad bought one on the spur of the moment and claims it helps him. I looked high and low for any studies or good material on them but couldnt find much except for people trying to sell them right next to the crystals and aural photographs.

My wife asked one of the doctors at work and he said he hadnt seen anything concrete about it, but doubted that being upside down for a few minutes here and there would do much for someone thats upright the other 23.75 hours.

He also had a spontaneous concern about increase in stroke potential or clotting issues, but I didnt get all of that.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

No credible evidence on this that I could find. The theory is that it resembles traction which, in most ways, it really doesn't. When you invert, the vertebrae that were previously below the problem area simpy become the vertebrae that on on top of the problem area, and push down in a similar manner. They're not stretched apart like traction.

You could speculate that if the area is in the lumbar spine, there is less weight on that area upside down than standing upright, but heck, why not just lie supine and you have no weight on it at all. And then there is always the flukey case where the particulars favor a specific position or posture which the inversion brings about, and you get good relief.

Benjamin Disraeli used to stand on his head for 20 minutes daily. He felt it improved the circulation to his brain. Who am I to argue?

Just some ramblings.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
No credible evidence on this that I could find. The theory is that it resembles traction which, in most ways, it really doesn't. When you invert, the vertebrae that were previously below the problem area simpy become the vertebrae that on on top of the problem area, and push down in a similar manner. They're not stretched apart like traction.
I thought that these things used ankle straps to suspend you- not vertically, but at some angle between vertical and horizontal?

Ha
Old 06-25-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Thats exactly what they are.

And quit those dirty old man thoughts!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I yam what I yam
Old 06-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Call now, and we'll include some kinoki foot pads ABSOLUTELY FREE.*

* Just pay $99.95 for shipping and handling...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I yam what I yam
I'll be calling you Popeye for a while now, just so you know.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I'll be calling you Popeye for a while now, just so you know.
Beats what I am usually called, so suits me.

Ha
Old 06-25-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I thought that these things used ankle straps to suspend you- not vertically, but at some angle between vertical and horizontal?
Yup, that's my understanding, too. It's all relative to the angle of the table but the principles apply whether fully inverted or partially so.

And once again, stop thinking those dirty old man thoughts.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Don't listen, Ha. You keep right on being a dirty old man!

Old 06-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Don't listen, Ha. You keep right on being a dirty old man!
In that case, you stop thinking those dirty old man thoughts, too. Though I can see where such a device... oh, never mind.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:36 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Is a chiropractic visit out of the questions?
Old 06-26-2008, 05:10 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyboard Ninja View Post
Is a chiropractic visit out of the questions?
I have been to bone crushers on and off for years with mixed results.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:36 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

My mother got one of these and claimed it helped. It's now gathering dust in the corner of a spare bedroom. I suspect it will soon go to the garage then eventually into to the trash dumpster.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:33 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In that case, you stop thinking those dirty old man thoughts, too. Though I can see where such a device... oh, never mind.
Not a chance...

Old 06-26-2008, 07:52 AM   #17

Hmmm.... Maybe I could put HER on it....
Old 06-26-2008, 08:11 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

nm, nm and nm.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just looking at a purely meachical view: A bunch of sticks assembled one on top of the other in a vertical manner are in compression. Let' say there are felt washers between them. If we take the bottom stick and suspend it by what was its bottom. it would be difficult to have another under it, or any felt washers, without some connecting stuff.

If all of the sticks are connected with some strap and hung by the end, then the connecting straps would be in extension. With the weights adding up. Unloading the felt washers.

Edit add: Only the weight of the felt washers would push on the top of the hanging stick.

Can't say anything abut the medical value of extension.

The mechanical view of a body standing erect would show compression of connective material, while a body hanging by its ankles would show extension of connective material.

Another example, Light rail vehicles ride on carriages called trucks. In the center of these trucks is a pivot point to allow for turns. The body of the vehicle sits on these pivots, held by gravity only and shock absorbers..(could consider these shocks the connective material) If we turn the vehicle upside down holding the wheels the body will fall off--result of extension without connective material. The shock absorbers will rip apart, can't handle 80000lb or so.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:53 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Just looking at a purely meachical view: A bunch of sticks assembled one on top of the other in a vertical manner are in compression.
Yes, I see your point -- as long as the lower body was suspended completely and allowed to hang free. But to the extent the body was lying on the table and resisting free suspension (friction), there might be some load on the discs, although less than standing upright.

But lying horizontal in bed accomplishes complete disc unloading, too (at least in the axis of the spine), no?.