Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-25-2021, 08:00 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Have you considered "used" cabinets. I have found many beautiful complete kitchen cabinet sets on craigslist. I am looking to do that right now myself.
I recently bought $12 - $15,000 of used maple cabinets in great shape for $2,500. We'll be putting them in our new cabin.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2021, 08:14 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So heres the future area... IF I can manage to post a Pic... The double window will become one behind the sink, the door may get moved to the other side of the fire place. an island work area. we also have the option of moving the back wall further back and make the spare room smaller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200211_101624279.jpg (1.02 MB, 38 views)
old medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:29 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I see an interior door next to the double window? How can you put cabinets or a sink there? Will there be cabinets on all three walls?
Old 04-25-2021, 09:24 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

No advice, but this will be awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old medic View Post
So heres the future area... IF I can manage to post a Pic... The double window will become one behind the sink, the door may get moved to the other side of the fire place. an island work area. we also have the option of moving the back wall further back and make the spare room smaller.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:53 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by old medic View Post
We are doing all the work ourselves. I'm trying a trade deal with the DW...
I would love to save some by cutting out the Middle man if I could.

Finnski1... Yes we have, and still keep an eye out... The 1st one I could easily make work... Our design is very flexible at this point.
Not sure how Surewhitey's post got attributed to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surewhitey View Post
... If labor is expensive, watch out...

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:46 PM   #26

I'm really with the used cabinet idea for you, Medic. I think you could just slay your cabinet quality and budget that way, since you are not on a time crunch and have expressed a willingness to get them early and store them. You could easily overbuy and have parts and pieces to cut and get a really nice set from.
If you are thinking darker finish, you could start light and then clean up all the work and wash it even with the final finish.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I see an interior door next to the double window? How can you put cabinets or a sink there? Will there be cabinets on all three walls?
Very sharp eyes my friend... also notice the line in the floor from beside the front door to the center wall.... what your looking at was once a bedroom, and the doorway is the closet. There is another closet beside it opened into the next bedroom. Thats were I mentioned about being able to slide the kitchen back. removing the closets adds 2.5 feet without shrinking the bedroom.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:11 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

The "white cabinet" look is hot. Just like 50 shades of grey.

Me, I like wood.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:31 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surewhitey View Post
White is always a safe bet, but two of my clients wanted something less stark and went with linen and another with a creamier color. They both looked nice. Lighting is a little off, but you get the idea. They both painted their existing doors...
There's a shop with two CNC machines as big as a house that make all the cabinet doors for the cabinet shops in our area. They also have a separate granite operation with laser measuring equipment and the latest computerized cutting.

When I refaced the kitchen cabinets in my lake house, they cut about 30 raised panel doors and drawer fronts, and supplied the European hinges. I spray painted them and installation was a breeze. And they look great.

I went into Lowes the other day, and out of 50 different ceramic/porcelain tiles they only had one with any hint of browns. That tells me the current trend in colors. And yes, they're pushing the 6" x 3' flooring that looks like wood--that I don't care for. Unfortunately tile flooring decisions are very difficult in tile because it's something you'll be living with for 15-20-30 years. The bathroom floors I'm current tiling I put in 40 years ago when the house was built.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:32 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I went into Lowes the other day, and out of 50 different ceramic/porcelain tiles they only had one with any hint of browns.
Bamaman... these folks have a nice selection.

https://www.homeoutlet.com/
Old 04-26-2021, 07:35 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I went into Lowes the other day, and out of 50 different ceramic/porcelain tiles they only had one with any hint of browns. That tells me the current trend in colors.
We looked at Lowes and Home Depot when I redid out bathroom but found nothing we liked. A local tile store had a far better selection and we bought from them.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:36 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

Me, I like wood.
I could MAYBE see painting existing cabinets white (or some other color) especially if the existing cabinets were TOO dark. Putting in new: No way would I want anything other than real wood look. The cabinets we installed in all our remodels were at least real-wood-look. You can buy them almost as light as you want. DW wanted very light maple and they look stunning. We tore out the painted-white ones to make room for the new ones. The difference was amazing. I have no sense about such things but trust DW implicitly. She never fails on a remodel look or design. (Heh, heh, having said that, I told her last time - this IS the last remodel of your life time. We'll see.) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:40 AM   #33

Well...... $3200 further in debt on our 0% mortgage for 2 years...
We spent a bit more than we had wanted, but got all plywood glued and screwed instead of the cheaper particle board stuff. Maple raised panel with Chestnut stain...
Old 05-09-2021, 07:43 AM   #34

These are the sample pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prescott_chestnut_0.jpg (97.6 KB, 39 views)
Old 05-09-2021, 01:32 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

Me, I like wood.

White has been among the top five most popular kitchen finishes in every decade for the last 120+ years but the recent rise started about 2000. The thing that has changed as been the door style.

If it is your forever home, you should get what you want. But make sure you get a good layout and design done, and measurements can be critical (or cause costly mistakes). We went with custom/semi-custom painted white paint-grade maple sourced from a manufacturer via an independent kitchen retailer with good designers and lower prices than the big stores. We also had full custom cabinets from a local place in our family room, which frankly are not as high quality as the kitchen ones. (It did take 12 to 16 weeks to complete and ship the order.
oiseux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:57 AM   #36

Yes this should be our forever home... and Proud to say that our Cabinets are 100% USA made. And they can build us about anything special to match.
Its still up in the air on the final layout, but have a lazy susan corner, with matching upper, then each section is matched base and wall. this way we can move around our design... Wifes now thinking U-shaped instead of an Island with a high counter to sit at.
Things are coming together...
Old 05-10-2021, 08:25 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Have you considered "used" cabinets. I have found many beautiful complete kitchen cabinet sets on craigslist. I am looking to do that right now myself.
We live about an hour and half from the western (wealthy) suburbs of Boston.
When I go on the Boston area and search for kitchen cabinets, I very often find someone ripping out very nice custom cabinets that are only a few years old because they "need "to update their kitchen. You appear to have a lot of flexibility in your design, you could probably make this work?
I am looking at some custom made curly maple cabinets right now that were probably $15-20k new. Only a few years old and look great, they are asking $4000
Here's an example that appear to be cherry but not sure. Only $1500
https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/ma...302394755.html
and another for $2700.A lot of nice cabinets for that price.
https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/hs...309901056.html
Good idea. There are also architectural salvage businesses that resell used cabinets.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:39 AM   #38

looks nice old medic, scratch that off the list.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:33 PM   #39

The 1920s house where I grew up had white enameled metal cabinets.

Probably from a 1950s remodel...kitchen appliances (wall oven, cook-top, sink) were stainless steel, even the countertops.

If you've ever seen the vintage B&W photo of the fat kid in the kitchen looking up at the pie on top of the fridge those are the cabinets we had...wish I could find the photo.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:27 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
The 1920s house where I grew up had white enameled metal cabinets.

Probably from a 1950s remodel...kitchen appliances (wall oven, cook-top, sink) were stainless steel, even the countertops.
It sickens me..... This house had those same Cabinets, with the huge farm sink with the built in drainboard....in absolutely perfect shape.
The methheads ripped them out for scrap....