iPad

The size is nearly identical, except the ipad is 0.5 inches thick and the typical 10" netbook is right at an inch to 1.1"...

So you are saying the size is nearly identical, except it is different??:blink:
Listen, I get that it isn't for you. For some people it is. As for how many people, we will see after it is available for sale. Frankly I don't care how well it does as long as I get mine:)

So you are saying the size is nearly identical, except it is different??:blink:
Listen, I get that it isn't for you. For some people it is. As for how many people, we will see after it is available for sale. Frankly I don't care how well it does as long as I get mine:)

I guess I should say that the "footprint" is nearly identical. If you lay it down flat, try to put it in your pocket, or clip it to your belt, it is going to behave exactly like a 10" netbook. Nearly identical for functional purposes, not identical. Did I say identical without qualifying it? Lemme check, nope! I guess one could say that the thickness being half as much is a huge space saver?? Regardless of whether it is .5" or 1" thick, the footprint of this device makes it such that is must be carried somehow, and not clipped to clothing or stowed in a pocket.

I'm just busting apple's chops because I think they get away with a lot of technically dumbed down products that look slick and have the apple logo affixed to them - and they can charge a premium doing it! They are kind of like annuities or investing with a financial planner - expensive overpriced products (for what you get) that do fit certain needs, and easily replaced by superior products if one spends a little time researching or tinkering.

A few years back my ipod owning friends were amazed when they saw my mp3 player that cost 1/10 the price of their ipods but could do a lot more stuff. But they had never heard of the type of mp3 player - "it isn't an ipod". :D

I'm just busting apple's chops because I think they get away with a lot of technically dumbed down products that look slick and have the apple logo affixed to them - and they can charge a premium doing it! They are kind of like annuities or investing with a financial planner - expensive overpriced products (for what you get) that do fit certain needs, and easily replaced by superior products if one spends a little time researching or tinkering.
Not sure how much "chop busting" you're accomplishing. Apple's products are very sophisticated and extremely well integrated (both hardware and software) no matter how "dumbed down" they might appear. AOL they are not!

As a computer engineer (hardware and software) I really appreciate the fine design work and long-term vision that goes into these products. I think Steve Jobs is a genius and it's amazing how he keeps repeating these successful forays into consumer electronics creating new markets and often completely changing the landscape. To me most of the other products out there are kludgey crap and I won't waste my time using them. I'm happy to pay Apple additional $$ for the ease of use and great integration of they products. We own Apple stock too, and have for over a decade.

Audrey

I think Apple find themselves in the position that those who love them would applaud if Steve Jobs was announcing their need product was a fart-meature. On the other hand there are those that would criticise them if they developed a cure for cancer. I think it's a brand that you are either on board with and love everything they do, or you look for fault with everything they do. No right or wrong, everyone has to decide what works for them.

I compare the Kindle to the iPad and for me it's like comparing orthapedic shoes to a pair of Jimmy Choos. The orthapedic shoes will get the job done no doubt about that, but I'm going to look smoking in those Jimmy's.

Have to say even if you despise Apple and their products, you have to applaud how they handle their marketing. They probably spend a fraction of what any other company would have to spend to promote their product, because the buzz around their products does the job for them.

We are also Apple shareholders. Not as long as Audrey and certainly not enough to single handedly fund our retirement, but we are enjoying the profits we have made.

I should add that I am an Apple lover. Before I got the iPhone I thought what was the hype, now I am totally in love with my phone.

I really like my Ipod touch and probably will spring for an Ipad a few months down the road---I am too LBYM to be an early adopter. The thing that appeals to me is that this seems to be a big Ipod touch.

I guess I should say that the "footprint" is nearly identical. If you lay it down flat, try to put it in your pocket, or clip it to your belt, it is going to behave exactly like a 10" netbook. Nearly identical for functional purposes, not identical. Did I say identical without qualifying it? Lemme check, nope! I guess one could say that the thickness being half as much is a huge space saver?? Regardless of whether it is .5" or 1" thick, the footprint of this device makes it such that is must be carried somehow, and not clipped to clothing or stowed in a pocket.

Well that makes more sense.
To me, when I am carrying a device, or holding it (not supported by a table or such) weight and thickness make a difference as well. So cutting the width and weight by almost half is significant to me. Again though, the biggest factor will be how it handles heat, and that is unknown as of yet.

A few years back my ipod owning friends were amazed when they saw my mp3 player that cost 1/10 the price of their ipods but could do a lot more stuff. But they had never heard of the type of mp3 player - "it isn't an ipod". :D

I can appreciate that. And I agree with much of your first paragraph. However, you really are making illogical statements and don't seem to be actually looking at the product before criticising it.
Personally, I hate the company, but no one does as good a job with integration and interface (with the exception of their stupid mice). My experiences with their customer service is unparralleled. I used Dell and HP for years. I also used another mp3 prior to my iPod. The iPod put it to shame in terms of convenience.

I would LOVE to see someone else beat apple to market with a device that works like this. HP's touchscreen which I tried in a store is horrible. I loved the MS coffee table they came out with for retail solutions (CNN I believe uses it for their 'magic maps'). I can't get one though.

Mr. Market is not happy with Apple today. I too thought of the Newton.

We will likely get an iPad for DH if they are around in four years, being very late adopters :) . He loves his iPhone and has an all-Mac studio/office at home. I'll be telling him when he wants an iPad.

Well that makes more sense.
To me, when I am carrying a device, or holding it (not supported by a table or such) weight and thickness make a difference as well. So cutting the width and weight by almost half is significant to me. Again though, the biggest factor will be how it handles heat, and that is unknown as of yet.

I guess if you have to hold the device in your hands, weight is very relevant and significant. I figured much of the use would be the device sitting relatively stationary (sitting on a lap, table, display/dock station). How are others planning on using it exactly?? The demonstrations in Apple's 8 minute advertisement showed it primarily being used in stationary positions by people sitting still.

I can appreciate that. And I agree with much of your first paragraph. However, you really are making illogical statements and don't seem to be actually looking at the product before criticising it.

Not sure how I'm being illogical?? I haven't held or used the device, but I am capable of looking at photos, videos and user demonstrations of it, reviewing the specifications, reading reviews and user comments, etc. And then synthesizing all of this knowledge into an opinion. I haven't become personally acquainted with a number of things yet I think I know something about them.

I have used other people's iphones a little and I think that is a very snazzy little electronic device. I liked it a lot. Very intuitive, easy to use interface. Powerful apps, compact, etc. I would love to have one if the monthly fee wasn't $80.

Ipods - yes, great things when they first came out. Other companies have had successful rival devices that have more features and function better and cost WAY less. However an ipod is obviously the dominant device in the mp3 player market (in fact it suffers from genericide a bit).

Itouch - haven't used it, but would consider buying if price was right. Probably more likely to get this instead of a iphone since it would not have a monthly fee. There are cheaper devices in similar size packages that may perform a little better - but I don't know of any clear winners.

I just don't see it w/ the ipad.

Have to say even if you despise Apple and their products, you have to applaud how they handle their marketing. They probably spend a fraction of what any other company would have to spend to promote their product, because the buzz around their products does the job for them.

Heck yeah! I really admire the position they have created for themselves and their corporate success story of their reinvention from an almost irrelevant tech company 10 years ago to probably one of the best brand names today.

Not sure how much "chop busting" you're accomplishing. Apple's products are very sophisticated and extremely well integrated (both hardware and software) no matter how "dumbed down" they might appear. AOL they are not!

As a computer engineer (hardware and software) I really appreciate the fine design work and long-term vision that goes into these products. I think Steve Jobs is a genius and it's amazing how he keeps repeating these successful forays into consumer electronics creating new markets and often completely changing the landscape. To me most of the other products out there are kludgey crap and I won't waste my time using them. I'm happy to pay Apple additional $$ for the ease of use and great integration of they products. We own Apple stock too, and have for over a decade.

I would hope they could produce an extremely well integrated product given the limitations they place on it. A lot of things that the ipad doesn't have makes it much easier to make it work well. And from what I have seen with the Iphone, the interface is pretty nice and intuitive.

We plan on doing extensive world travel within the year. Our laptop will not cut it. Too heavy do not wish to carry it around the trains and planes. However, we are looking at netbooks and this IPAD. We need something light,secure and to the point in regards to the internet. Pay bills,email etc etc. Im almost leaning to certain phones to do this .

Im glad it will be on display for a year or so to get an idea of how it is.

We plan on doing extensive world travel within the year. Our laptop will not cut it. Too heavy do not wish to carry it around the trains and planes.
To that end, the fact that the storage memory is flash memory, it should be more durable than a mechanical hard drive. In your place, I'd also arrange for some type of "cloud" computing for your basic word processing, email, calendaring, etc. That way in case things break, you can always check an internet cafe somewhere to see and enter your stuff.

Your needs are the best I can think of to justify this machine.

In your place, I'd also arrange for some type of "cloud" computing for your basic word processing, email, calendaring, etc. That way in case things break, you can always check an internet cafe somewhere to see and enter your stuff.

Apple already offers a cloud computing platform which is fairly well integrated with the iPhone and probably will be with the iPad as well. It's called mobileme. It's pretty good IMO, though not perfect. You can keep your emails, calendar, address book, photo albums and various documents (PDF, word & excel docs, etc...) on the cloud. You can access the data from your iPhone/iPad using the device's native apps or from any computer in the world connected to the internet. It comes with 20 GB of storage space.

Yeah the mobility thing is really appealing to me. Unfortunately (fortunately?) I'm a photographer, and so I have to have some solution for backing up my digital photos during a trip.

I am considering just buying several large memory cards and/or a standalone backup drive (Sony makes 40G one for $199).

None of this has been an issue traveling in the motorhome. But when we start doing overseas travel I would really love NOT to lug around a laptop but still have my own personal device for doing email, on-line banking, web-surfing etc.

Thanks for the reminder about the mobileme - that would really come in handy for travel also.

Audrey

Why people insist on calling this type of pricing a 'scam' is beyond me.
In tech, it is par for the course. Cutting edge technology comes out at a premium price. It is true with cameras, computers and TVs.

By all means, don't buy a product in the first 6 months. You are right, earlys adopters will end up paying the premium, and if you don't want to, feel free to wait till the price comes down. But there is no 'scam' involved in charging the price the market will support (especially for non-essentials).

OK, scam probably isn't the right word. Still, dropping the price that much that quickly seems like they are treating their strongest supporters poorly. Hope they don't do it again.

Mad TV predicted this device (slightly modified) about 4 years ago.

YouTube - Mad TV iPAD

Yeah the mobility thing is really appealing to me. Unfortunately (fortunately?) I'm a photographer, and so I have to have some solution for backing up my digital photos during a trip.

I am considering just buying several large memory cards and/or a standalone backup drive (Sony makes 40G one for $199).

None of this has been an issue traveling in the motorhome. But when we start doing overseas travel I would really love NOT to lug around a laptop but still have my own personal device for doing email, on-line banking, web-surfing etc.

Thanks for the reminder about the mobileme - that would really come in handy for travel also.

Audrey

Yep its the lugging around thing we would like to avoid. Specially with flying and moving around.

Apple already offers a cloud computing platform which is fairly well integrated with the iPhone and probably will be with the iPad as well. It's called mobileme. It's pretty good IMO, though not perfect. You can keep your emails, calendar, address book, photo albums and various documents (PDF, word & excel docs, etc...) on the cloud. You can access the data from your iPhone/iPad using the device's native apps or from any computer in the world connected to the internet. It comes with 20 GB of storage space.
Yes, though it's $100 a year (some discounts on year one) and not quite as robust as Google's offerings which are free, and includes notes, full cloud-based spreadsheets, documents, etc. With Mobile.me you also have to use a .Mac specific email address for push email services, and many of us have a different email we'd like to use.

Main thing is that the cloud offers a lot to frequent travelers, be it MobileMe, Google, or similar.

You don't have to use the email part of mobileme. I don't know why email on an iPad wouldn't work the way it does on my Mac through the Mail program - since I haven't used an iPhone for email I don't know how the app might be different.

It's the general (and secure) document storage that I would value.

Audrey

Yes, though it's $100 a year (some discounts on year one) and not quite as robust as Google's offerings which are free, and includes notes, full cloud-based spreadsheets, documents, etc. With Mobile.me you also have to use a .Mac specific email address for push email services, and many of us have a different email we'd like to use.

Main thing is that the cloud offers a lot to frequent travelers, be it MobileMe, Google, or similar.

I understand that mobileme is only one cloud-computing offering among others, and people should definitely shop around and compare those various offerings. I just happen to like the way mobileme seamlessly integrates with Apple devices such as the iPhone and iPad.

As for the need for a .mac address for push mail, there are ways to push emails coming to a different address. Forward the emails coming to your old email address to your new .mac address and they will get pushed to your mobile device (that's what I do because I wanted to keep my 10-year old email address and I couldn't push it directly to my iPhone). So you don't have to change your current email address if you don't want to.

Huh, my Yahoo email is pushed to my iPhone, even though oddly, I can't have it come to my computer via POP in the free account.

You don't have to use the email part of mobileme.Audrey
What I was pointing out is that you "have to use a .Mac specific email address for push email services." If you want mobile.me push service on your email, it only does so with the .mac email address they give you at sign up, as I read the specs.

OTOH, as pointed out, if you have arranged for "push" email through some other email address, that's fine, -- it just defeats that benefit of your $100/year mobile.me package. The more work-arounds you add, the more likelihood of unintended consequences.

For example, if you forward an old email acct to mobile.me, and it pushes that message to your iPad/iphone, when you reply to that email it might use the mobile.me "FROM" address rather than that of the one you originally forwarded, thereby confusing the original sender, esp if they hit the Reply button and it goes to a different (mobile.me) address they intended.

There are all kinds of work-arounds for individual situations. It's always good to know what you're getting into before selecting.

I do love Apple execution and design. They do good stuff, and that is very rare. I want to want an iPad. I'm thinking along the lines of a web-surfer/photo album/ebook. I'll wait to see if they get the book reader to be easier on the eyes than a regular backlit screen. It doesn't seem likely they'll get it to look anything like e-paper, but I have hopes.

PLUS, I figure this thing will be table-stakes just to get into some of the hipster coffee shops in my town. Oh, wait. I already can't get in, with my lame black notebook, and I don't seem to be missing anything :)

Steve

You can get very portable and lightweight USB-based hard drives. They are the tiny ones, a little bigger than a pack of playing cards (not Identical but similar). Just checked the specs - 3"x5" and 0.5 inches thick. 5 ounces (140 grams). I saw some of these recently for $50-60 for 320 GB-500 GB. Get the kind with the 2.5" hard drive inside, not 3.5" if you want light weight and portability. Plugs into any usb connection and is powered via the usb. Unfortunately won't work with an ipad unless you can get usb connectivity (maybe the camera connectivity kit dongle ;) ).

I gues you could stop by an internet cafe and use a computer to copy files from the SD or other memory cards onto the portable hard drive for backup.

Or just get a $200 netbook. :D Comes with a built in hard drive, usually 160 gb or 250 GB. Wireless, a keyboard, etc. Of course it wouldn't make sense to me personally to carry an ipad and a netbook if one was trying to travel internationally and pack light.

Back
Top Bottom