iPad cover

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Just wondering what people are using for their iPad cover. I got the Apple smart cover but am wondering if there is something that protects the screen from scratching, also helps protect from a fall and at the same time is aesthetically pleasing.

Don't know what Apple Smart cover is but got my iPad 1st generation a matte anti-glare screen protector. ebay is a good source. I have all my screen protectors from ebay and I am pretty content with them. Cost less than $5.

I'm using a Smart cover too. But then, my iPad is wi-fi only, so it never leaves my house. Most often it is on my sofa, where it is not likely to fall. If there are scratches on the screen, I can't see them.

I like the Smartcover because it is light and I can fold it into a particular way that makes the iPad more comfortable for me to hold.

I have the Apple Smart Cover for use at home. The iPad and its cover, as well as the charger, fit nicely into a neoprene sleeve by Incase. It looks like the one below, except it's bright pink!. I love it for travel as it's soft, padded and washable. It fits nicely into carry on luggage or even my large purse. Unfortunately this particular sleeve seems to be out of stock, but Incase has lots of interesting options.

Neoprene Sleeve for iPad by Incase

Last edited:
Sorry for hijacking this thread- is anyone using Practice Fusion EHR / EMR on iPad? I was told this evening that Practice Fusion can only be run on a PC.

Last edited:
I bought a black InCase Book Jacket Classic and it's been perfect at home, on the road and about town. I very rarely ever take the iPad out of this case. Here it is on sale https://goincase.com/m/#product/cl57924. I think the "Classic" is/has been phased out in favor of the "Select."

Attachments

• Incases-Book-Jacket-Select-4.jpg
    Incases-Book-Jacket-Select-4.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Incases-Book-Jacket-Select-5.jpg
    Incases-Book-Jacket-Select-5.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 0
  • convertible-book-jacket-ipad-2.jpg
    convertible-book-jacket-ipad-2.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 56
I bought an Otterbox Defender for my iPad1. I feel it has offered very good protection, as I take my iPad all over with me. It was a little pricey, and it probably doubles the thickness and weight of the iPad itself. I also purchased the Otterbox Defender Series for my iPhone 3gS in 2009. My phone looks and works as good as the day I bought it. Don't buy them from your phone carrier, however. You can get them a lot cheaper online ( experience talking ).

Sorry for hijacking this thread- is anyone using Practice Fusion EHR / EMR on iPad? I was told this evening that Practice Fusion can only be run on a PC.

No, but I can access our EMR using Remote Desktop Access. It's very clunky on an iPad but excellent on a MacBook Air.

For my iPad1 I got the Apple black polyurethane? case. I was very pleased with it. It completely enclosed the iPad protecting all the edges, and the stiff cover flap did a great job of covering and protecting the screen. It was also not bulky at all. One of the best features was how "grippy" it was - easily tuck under an arm, wouldn't slip off anything. A caseless iPad is quite slick due to its smooth metal back.

They don't offer this exact case anymore. I ordered the new leather magnetic case when I ordered the iPad3. It has a folding front cover, which I'm not sure I like as much as the original, but it does still provide complete coverage protection, and it's non-slick like the original so you don't have to worry about the iPad sliding off of things. Good enough.

I'm not too worried about scratching the screen glass. It is Gorilla Glass after all. But I do keep the screen covered when not in use.

Last edited:
I WAS confused in the beginning if you are interested in the COVER or the SCREEN PROTECTOR. Since you mentioned scratches on screen, I mentioned screen protector, personally I don't care if it is scratched anywhere else. So I have simple $3 jelly cover for my iPad and a case from Verizon. Works pretty well.

The cover that Midpack suggested, I have that one for my Xoom. I am not very happy with it. Of course, Xoom is heavier than iPad but doesn't 'stand' like in picture for long time.

I have the Apple Smart Cover and at home, I just remove it and find it eassier to just hold the device naked (the Ipad, not me). When I travel, I use the cover for the grip and protection (again, the Ipad, not me).

I only have the smart cover and I haven't had a problem with scratches on the screen. Don't the hardcovers impede using the camera (front and back lenses) on the new IPad?

The cover that Midpack suggested, I have that one for my Xoom. I am not very happy with it. Of course, Xoom is heavier than iPad but doesn't 'stand' like in picture for long time.
That's interesting, my InCase Book Jacket Classic has never failed to "stand" and I've watched movies and long streaming events (2 hours or so) on my iPad2. I've used it on tabletops, but I've also had it on my lap or stomach (not a level or stable surface) and it hasn't slipped. And I've had the InCase for 16 months now, still going strong. In looking at the Products By Incase website, I don't see any products for a Xoom, but maybe they have them. I would agree that not all tablet portfolio/stands are created equal, I looked at about a dozen before selecting the InCase. But I'm also certain there are other great options aside from the InCase. FWIW...

Back
Top Bottom