Join Early Retirement Today

iPhone 7 screen protector - which one?
Old 10-24-2016, 02:15 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

iPhone 7 screen protector - which one?

I have finally gave in to the many issues I was having with an old iPhone 4s and picked up a new iPhone 7.

I am thinking about getting one of the new glass protectors which are supposed to be better than the plastic ones. But, the advice I read is differing and not very definitive. I want a protector that will allow me to use all the touch features of the iPhone 7 as I plan to keep it for many years (as I did the iPhone 4s.)

How has your experience with screen protectors been? Have they worked well? Any problems or issues one should be aware of before the purchase?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2016, 03:29 PM   #2

I don't see the point of those things. The phone has a fine surface that repels fingertip oils and grease, and is extremely sensitive. Any kind of covering will be less effective IMHO.

Anyway, as long as you have a decent case around the outside edge of the phone, you're very unlikely to break it. The case should absorb almost all the shock of a fall onto concrete (my most common mishap).
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I don't see the point of those things. The phone has a fine surface that repels fingertip oils and grease, and is extremely sensitive. Any kind of covering will be less effective IMHO.

Anyway, as long as you have a decent case around the outside edge of the phone, you're very unlikely to break it. The case should absorb almost all the shock of a fall onto concrete (my most common mishap).
Having broken the screen on my company iPhone (twice), I strongly recommend the case, as braumeister suggests. Company did not spring for a case, but they paid twice to fix the screen ($125 each time). If the phone lands on a corner, with out a case, you are almost guaranteed to crack the screen.

With my retirement phone, I opted for both a good case, and the glass protector. The glass is much better than the old plastic protectors, and I have had no issues with the touch screen.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:58 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post

With my retirement phone, I opted for both a good case, and the glass protector. The glass is much better than the old plastic protectors, and I have had no issues with the touch screen.
Do you recall the brand of the glass protector?

Old 10-24-2016, 06:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Do you recall the brand of the glass protector?
The supplier was Zagg. I bought it at the ATT store where I got the phone. It has a lifetime warrantee. Mine has a couple of chips on the edges from being toss in my pocket and bag, but not enough to be an issue. Just smoothed them down with an emery cloth. You can hardly tell it is on there. Crystal clear. far better than the plastic ones I have seen on other folks phones.

FYI, mine is on an iPhone 6. I assume they make it for the 7.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:14 PM   #6
Administrator

We have screen protectors, but they were included with the cases we bought. I agree with Brau, the case is much more useful.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:29 PM   #7

No case no screen protector for me. Both seem duplicative as iPhone has strong case and screen already.

Also free new phone every 18 months or so (sell old one then buy new subsidized one). Only purchased one iPhone a long time ago.
RetireAge50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:04 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I used Tech Armor - https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Tec...7407666&sr=8-1
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:10 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I do have a very thin clear case that covers the back of the phone and wraps around the sides. But, the screen is still unprotected.

Amazon reviews of these glass screens are all over the map. I have yet to find one that has signficant good reviews - many of the problems seem to be fit and finish problems. Maybe, they have not yet got the design of the new iPhone 7 screens down?

Old 10-25-2016, 11:19 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I do have a very thin clear case that covers the tack of the phone and wraps around the sides. But, the screen is still unprotected.

Amazon reviews of these glass screens are all over the map. I have yet to find one that has signficant good reviews - many of the problems seem to be fit and finish problems. Maybe, they have not yet got the design of the new iPhone 7 screens down?
I have never dropped my smartphone but have a case like you have. Just gives me peace of mind. Some (young people I suspect) are more easily distracted or just handle their phone less carefully. I never leave my phone out on a counter top except occasionally at home. Anyway, just my 2 cents but I would not buy a screen protector ... oh no, now I am doomed for saying this.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:22 PM   #11

Have an OtterBox Symmetry on a 6P. Also a glass screen protector which i replaced a month ago because the previous one cracked when phone fell off desk onto floor. Agree that these are far superior to plastic screen protectors.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone 7 screen