IRS Law Suit

My mom got a letter from the IRS, about some missing info on her 2014 tax form. She didn't take her Vanguard 1099 showing her RMD for that year into the volunteer AARP tax dude. The letter did state that she owed $X amount due to recalculations. It was an official letter.

Funny thing was she got the IRS lawsuit call about 5 days after the received the IRS letter. She called me up all worried that they had started a lawsuit even before the deadline the IRS had given her to correct her 2014 forms. I told her about the scam and that the IRS doesn't contact by phone but I did think it was weird how close together those two things were. Maybe there is a mailing list available from the IRS showing who is getting mail from them :facepalm: Make it even easier for the criminals.....;)

My mom got a letter from the IRS, about some missing info on her 2014 tax form. She didn't take her Vanguard 1099 showing her RMD for that year into the volunteer AARP tax dude. The letter did state that she owed $X amount due to recalculations. It was an official letter.

Funny thing was she got the IRS lawsuit call about 5 days after the received the IRS letter. She called me up all worried that they had started a lawsuit even before the deadline the IRS had given her to correct her 2014 forms. I told her about the scam and that the IRS doesn't contact by phone but I did think it was weird how close together those two things were. Maybe there is a mailing list available from the IRS showing who is getting mail from them :facepalm: Make it even easier for the criminals.....;)

This is what the scammers are counting on, as an increased chance of hooking someone. It can happen with those email phishing scams, too. Years ago, my LF had been having some problems with her online banking only to get a real-looking but phony email saying her online banking had been suspended and she needed to click on a link to set it up again. She knew not to click on the link and instead called her bank who confirmed it was a fake email (and they asked her to forward the email to their fraud department).

This is what the scammers are counting on, as an increased chance of hooking someone. It can happen with those email phishing scams, too. Years ago, my LF had been having some problems with her online banking only to get a real-looking but phony email saying her online banking had been suspended and she needed to click on a link to set it up again. She knew not to click on the link and instead called her bank who confirmed it was a fake email (and they asked her to forward the email to their fraud department).

+1 about the scammers counting coincidental timing. I almost fell for a phony scam from a caller spoofing as BCBS the first year of the ACA. My caller id showed BCBS and there was a recording with my first name saying to call this number to verify my insurance purchase. But when I did talked to BCBS, they said that call was not from them.

Message on the answer machine when we got home.......ostensibly from "Agent Ryan Smith from 'The Revenue of Canada'".

We must applaud 'Agent Smith' for his rendition of the best Mahatma Gandhi impersonation we've ever heard. :LOL:

Just got a message on my answering machine from a very nice sounding woman that the IRS is suing me so I better call this number 203-xxx-xxxx. Are people still falling for this?

Just got a message on my answering machine from a very nice sounding woman that the IRS is suing me so I better call this number 203-xxx-xxxx. Are people still falling for this?

Sadly, people will continue to fall for this forever.... People from the USA still send millions of dollars to scammers in a certain Province in Canada in order to collect their winnings of the Canadian lottery..... even when they didn't enter any Canadian lottery.. :facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

They must have kicked their game up a notch, too many have heard of the IRS scam I guess.

This time it was the Treasury Department who called. Amazing.

I get how people can fall for a stern "call this number immediately" voice mail but the story of them saying the local police are on the way to your house should make them wonder what the heck...
Then when the""IRS"" says to go to walmart and buy gift cards to read to them on the phone- seriously people are that dumb:confused:

Awhile ago I got a new number, and it was on one of "those" lists. It was getting spam calls 5-6 times a week. Instead of changing the number, I just used the Mr. number app, it auto-blocked 99% of them, and it was easy to add the remaining 1% to the community list. Now the spam calls happen maybe 1-2 times a month.

I'm happy with my blocking solutions (not perfect, but good).

Sentry Call blocking device for my landline, call blocker app for my Android phone and email with Bayesian spam filter.

Now, if only there was some sort of spam filter to screen out all the bad news around the world in my news feeds.

The IRS must be busy. They are suing us, too. They leave a message to that effect nearly every day.😉

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

The IRS must be busy. They are suing us, too. They leave a message to that effect nearly every day.��

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Wow, every day! Does it make you wonder what you did to get on that list? I wonder if it's your location or do you answer your phone.

The scam in our county is calling to tell you that you failed to show up for jury duty. provide your cc number to pay fine and penalty. The penalty increases daily so you better hurry up and call.

PS. You can PM me your cc number if you choose not to call, don't forget ex. date and sec code.

Next time they call I'll let the whole message record and write down the phone number.

Then I'll post it here and we can compare numbers - :)

Next time they call I'll let the whole message record and write down the phone number.

Then I'll post it here and we can compare numbers - :)

I got one of these yesterday. It was a female voice recording, stating that the "IRS was filing (they left out the article "a" here) lawsuit against me. To get more information on this case file, please call (773) 897-0198."

I promptly went to the IRS site and filled out their scam form....
https://www.treasury.gov/tigta/contact_report_scam.shtml

omni

I got a call from someone who claimed to be an official from the Federal government and I layed into him hard. I never let him finish sentence. Every time he calmly started, I said he should find an honest living.

Turns out, it was a routine call, checking up on my neighbor, who works for the ATF. If I would have listened, they would have asked if seen or heard anything weird, I'd say no, and that would have been that.

Too funny!

"You rat sucking scumbag scammer, you suck big time why don't you find a real job"

Hehe, too funny - :)

When I get a call from one of those scammers such as IRS or Microsoft Tech Services, I yell back "You're a SCAMMER!" a few times then hang up. The IRS scammers are usually robocallers so I have nobody to yell to, but the MS folks are real people.

Well I let the whole thing record today and there was no number to call back. Just "press 1 to be connected to the case file agent"

Maybe they are getting smarter? No number to report to the law?

When I get a call from one of those scammers such as IRS or Microsoft Tech Services, I yell back "You're a SCAMMER!" a few times then hang up. The IRS scammers are usually robocallers so I have nobody to yell to, but the MS folks are real people.

Was at my father in law's house one day when Microsoft called to tell him he had virus on his computer. Now said father in law who is 86 has never owned a computer. His high tech knowledge is pretty much limited to the on/off button on the TV remote!

I grabbed the phone from him, and the scammer and I exchanged a few choice words before I hung up!

He gets these calls all of the time and he is too nice. He is on every scammers list though. His mailbox is stuffed full of junk mail from all kinds of people trying to get his money. I'm sure if the IRS called he would believe them. I've got to have a talk with him about the IRS next time I see him.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Strange coincidence. Just as I was reading this thread, my cell phone rang. It was a blocked number. Usually I just ignore them, but this time I answered, thinking I would play around with whomever was calling. The man said he was from the "US Postal Inspection Service" and that there might be some fraudulent activity with someone trying to use my name to get credit. Oh yeah, sure I thought. Anyway I got his name and contact phone numbers and a case number, just in case.

Then I called the ACTUAL U.S Postal Inspection Service. Well, it turns the contact phone numbers he gave me were legit and this guy really is a police officer with the Postal Inspection Service at the location and numbers he claimed.

I called him back and apologized for my attitude and he told me I did the right thing.

Sometimes that guy who calls you from the government, might actually be a guy from the government. Who would have thunk! :facepalm:

this guy really is a police officer with the Postal Inspection Service at the location and numbers he claimed.

So, what you're saying is that everybody is in on this scam now......wow, you just can't be too careful.

Back
Top Bottom