Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-07-2016, 07:00 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
For the terminally gullible, that's a minor detail.
You do know "gullible" is not a real word... I bet you cannot find it in the dictionary!
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 07:16 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
You do know "gullible" is not a real word... I bet you cannot find it in the dictionary!
No one's that gullible.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm happy with my blocking solutions (not perfect, but good).

Sentry Call blocking device for my landline, call blocker app for my Android phone and email with Bayesian spam filter.

Now, if only there was some sort of spam filter to screen out all the bad news around the world in my news feeds.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:00 PM   #64

The IRS must be busy. They are suing us, too. They leave a message to that effect nearly every day.😉

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
The IRS must be busy. They are suing us, too. They leave a message to that effect nearly every day.��

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Wow, every day! Does it make you wonder what you did to get on that list? I wonder if it's your location or do you answer your phone.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:57 PM   #66

The scam in our county is calling to tell you that you failed to show up for jury duty. provide your cc number to pay fine and penalty. The penalty increases daily so you better hurry up and call.

PS. You can PM me your cc number if you choose not to call, don't forget ex. date and sec code.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Next time they call I'll let the whole message record and write down the phone number.

Then I'll post it here and we can compare numbers -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Next time they call I'll let the whole message record and write down the phone number.

Then I'll post it here and we can compare numbers -
I got one of these yesterday. It was a female voice recording, stating that the "IRS was filing (they left out the article "a" here) lawsuit against me. To get more information on this case file, please call (773) 897-0198."

I promptly went to the IRS site and filled out their scam form....
https://www.treasury.gov/tigta/conta...ort_scam.shtml

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:31 PM   #69

I got a call from someone who claimed to be an official from the Federal government and I layed into him hard. I never let him finish sentence. Every time he calmly started, I said he should find an honest living.

Turns out, it was a routine call, checking up on my neighbor, who works for the ATF. If I would have listened, they would have asked if seen or heard anything weird, I'd say no, and that would have been that.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:49 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Too funny!

"You rat sucking scumbag scammer, you suck big time why don't you find a real job"

Hehe, too funny -
Old 07-14-2016, 06:11 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

When I get a call from one of those scammers such as IRS or Microsoft Tech Services, I yell back "You're a SCAMMER!" a few times then hang up. The IRS scammers are usually robocallers so I have nobody to yell to, but the MS folks are real people.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:40 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Well I let the whole thing record today and there was no number to call back. Just "press 1 to be connected to the case file agent"

Maybe they are getting smarter? No number to report to the law?
Old 07-14-2016, 10:07 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
When I get a call from one of those scammers such as IRS or Microsoft Tech Services, I yell back "You're a SCAMMER!" a few times then hang up. The IRS scammers are usually robocallers so I have nobody to yell to, but the MS folks are real people.
Was at my father in law's house one day when Microsoft called to tell him he had virus on his computer. Now said father in law who is 86 has never owned a computer. His high tech knowledge is pretty much limited to the on/off button on the TV remote!

I grabbed the phone from him, and the scammer and I exchanged a few choice words before I hung up!

He gets these calls all of the time and he is too nice. He is on every scammers list though. His mailbox is stuffed full of junk mail from all kinds of people trying to get his money. I'm sure if the IRS called he would believe them. I've got to have a talk with him about the IRS next time I see him.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:09 PM   #74

Strange coincidence. Just as I was reading this thread, my cell phone rang. It was a blocked number. Usually I just ignore them, but this time I answered, thinking I would play around with whomever was calling. The man said he was from the "US Postal Inspection Service" and that there might be some fraudulent activity with someone trying to use my name to get credit. Oh yeah, sure I thought. Anyway I got his name and contact phone numbers and a case number, just in case.

Then I called the ACTUAL U.S Postal Inspection Service. Well, it turns the contact phone numbers he gave me were legit and this guy really is a police officer with the Postal Inspection Service at the location and numbers he claimed.

I called him back and apologized for my attitude and he told me I did the right thing.

Sometimes that guy who calls you from the government, might actually be a guy from the government. Who would have thunk!
Old 07-14-2016, 05:17 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
this guy really is a police officer with the Postal Inspection Service at the location and numbers he claimed.
So, what you're saying is that everybody is in on this scam now......wow, you just can't be too careful.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I called him back and apologized for my attitude and he told me I did the right thing.

Sometimes that guy who calls you from the government, might actually be a guy from the government. Who would have thunk!
Now I want to know what exactly did you say to him .
Old 07-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Now I want to know what exactly did you say to him .
I am sure it is all duly recorded on some server somewhere...
Old 07-14-2016, 05:45 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am sure it is all duly recorded on some server somewhere...
Yeah, probably so. I'm actually surprised the method of choice was to call you as the first thought is scam.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:46 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

I only know the IRS will never call you, says so right on the website.

Other agencies...
Old 07-14-2016, 05:55 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I only know the IRS will never call you, says so right on the website.

Other agencies...
Yes that surprised me too. But he is on the other side of the country and I guess trying to track down the thieves and stop any thefts as quickly as possible, so time was critical for him in this case.