Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

IRS phone scam - busted
Old 10-28-2016, 07:24 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IRS phone scam - busted

To mods... I searched, but could not find the thread that talked about this... move if you want.

Did anybody see the news about this IRS phone scam You know, where they call and say they are filing suit and if you do not pay they are sending out the police.....

Well, it looks like they arrested people for this... but I was surprised when they said they think that $300 MILLION had been scammed from people... the people they talked to were not old senile people, but seemed to be middle age or younger...

Still do not know how anybody with intelligence would fall for this scam....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #2
Administrator

There are quite a few threads on this.
Here's one http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...uit-81076.html
Here's another http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-me-80560.html
One more for good luck http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...etc-83556.html

In this case no harm in another, but a slight change to the thread title will help future searches.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Hey, so are you saying the gift cards I sent to the IRS to avoid arrest didn't actually pay my IRS bill ??

Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

i was getting one call a day there for a while
Old 10-28-2016, 11:58 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
i was getting one call a day there for a while
Me, too. Got tired of running up to the store for more iTunes cards.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:57 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I read this heartwarming story on CNN this morning. A California cabbie helped a 92-year-old woman avoid getting scammed by a fake IRS agent by driving her to a police station instead of the bank where she was going to withdraw $25k.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/16/us/taxi-driver-prevents-scam-trnd/index.html
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:16 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Before I got a call blocker for my landline I did get one of these IRS scam type calls. The caller mentioned is so called police badge number and said that I better call back or he'd take action. Kinda wish now I answered and asked him if I could pay the fine in pennies .
Old 02-17-2020, 01:19 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Well, it looks like they arrested people for this... but I was surprised when they said they think that $300 MILLION had been scammed from people... the people they talked to were not old senile people, but seemed to be middle age or younger...

Still do not know how anybody with intelligence would fall for this scam....
This is a common scam. I suspect lots of gangs of scammers are doing it. Arresting one probably won't make much difference.

As for intelligence, well...

I agree that $300M is hard to believe. But I've always said it's hard to over-estimate the level of stupidity (and in this case, fear and greed) in the general population.

What's even scarier, is these people are allowed to vote.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:28 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
This is a common scam. I suspect lots of gangs of scammers are doing it. Arresting one probably won't make much difference.

As for intelligence, well...

I agree that $300M is hard to believe. But I've always said it's hard to over-estimate the level of stupidity (and in this case, fear and greed) in the general population.

What's even scarier, is these people are allowed to vote.
And have children to pass on their wisdom
Old 02-18-2020, 08:01 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I was watching a Senate hearing on C-Span about SS impersonation scams.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?468676...security-scams

The first part of the hearing was rather dry and uninteresting. But the second part was more interesting. If you go to the 1 hour and 12 minute mark, you will hear the story of Machel Anderson who got scammed out of more than $100k. Even though you will probably wonder, as I did, as to how she could believe this imposter, it is still heart-wrenching to listen to.

One of the other panelists, Justin Groshon, the manager of a SSA field office in Maine, spoke about secondary effects of the imposter scam. One is that his office was inundated with calls from worried people who were skeptical about the fake callers and were calling the local office to figure out what to do, if there was a problem. These hundreds of calls basically shut down the office from doing much of any work for a few days. Then, there were instances where his office's reps had to make legit calls to local people about forms they had filled out. The people thought these legit callers were imposters and wouldn't listen to them, as the SS reps correctly had to ask for personal info so they would know they were speaking to the correct people. This also slowed down the processing of forms, sometimes requiring in-person visits to people who lived an hour+ away in those rural areas.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote