Is A Hybrid Car Really Worth It?

TromboneAl said:
The other problem I have with hybrids is that they are too complex.  Two complete motor systems.  Just as in programming, sometimes you can be too clever.

Also, concerning the batteries:

"The batteries on average last 8 to 10 years and cost around $6800 to replace. "

In other words, your car will be automatically "totalled" in 9 years, since it will cost more to replace the batteries than the car is worth.

- curious, when the battery goes dead, wont the car gas engine still work?, I would think it would, you just couldnt operate it as a hybrid anymore. I supsect the batteries will go down in price also. Also, those priuses look like space pods.

Hybrids that are on the road today are attempts to work out the real-world problems before a full committent is made.

Hybrid technology is one of those 'breakthrough' technologies, similar to computers, that is likely to get cheaper, more powerful and simpler as people use it more.  The first computers (the Altair 8080 with two floppies, a monitor and printer) were $15,000+ in 1976 - I know because I sold them then - and look at what you use today. 

The batteries and the electric motors will grow more powerful as they are used in more vehicles, and the gas engines will grow smaller making for better mileage in the hybrid vehicles while maintaining good drivability and range between fillups. 

JohnP

tozz said:
Sheesh, I seem to go through this every couple of months. Before you get really emphatic you should check your facts.

2) I don't know why folks on this thread are jabbering about lead-acid batteries. The main battery is nickel-metal hydride, warrantied for 10 years and 150K miles in my state.

That was my moronic statement. Sorry. Thinking all electric. I should never post at 6 AM.

Economically, it doesn't work. If you want better mileage, buy a small car with only adequate power. Its just physics, kids.

Having said that, I suspect that I will be driving a hybrid or some kind of diesel in 10 years, once the technology has matured and gotten ceaper.

TromboneAl said:
Prius Emissions:
CO .18
HC .020
NOx .010

Echo Emissions:
CO  .30
HC  .050
NOx .010

Is that % or PPM? If so, we need to factor in the fuel mileage the car gets to see what the real emissions per mile are. ;)

brewer12345 said:
Economically, it doesn't work.  If you want better mileage, buy a small car with only adequate power.  Its just physics, kids.

{/quote]

Yeah, I figured out one time that if I bought a Prius I'd have to drive it at least 300K miles to break even versus a Geo Metro.  But who wants to drive a Metro?  And, as gas prices go higher, the breakeven point gets lower. 

At least Toyota is subsidizing the cost of the car to the tune of about $8K (that is, it costs them about $8k more to make it than what they are selling it for).  That's a discount that's hard to beat . . .  :D

No it doesn't work. Buy you car based on economy over its life not on a Political agenda.

Back
Top Bottom