Is AARP worht it?

Shredder

Recycles dryer sheets
I turned 50yr old and now the AARP letter came. Anyone have a opinion on if it's worth joining? I don't need their insurance or investments. What else is there?
Shredder

Hi Shredder,

The AARP membership gets you discounts at a lot of hotels, restaurants, museums, attractions, etc. My DW and I travel a lot and I've gotten may money back several times over this year. If you don't travel that often or you have another source of discounts, this may not make much difference.

:) :) :)

I have AAA insurance, but ussually forget to ask if I can get a discount.........Shredder

I joined to get the 20% discount off my monthly Y gym membership. My yearly savings is almost 10 times the AARP annual membership fee. They also offer a driver's safety course for $10 (normally about $50) which reduces your insurance cost and traffic points if you have any.
I did not find that they offered competive LTC or auto insurance products. I went with UNUM for LTC and Geico for auto ins.

MJ

Save your money. AARP is a lobying organization for their own norrow-minded goals. If you do not enroll at age 50, fear not. You will be on their mailing list for at least another 10 years. They do not offer anything that is not commoinly available to the gereral public.

If it were free, I would not join.

I was a member for a few years.
One day while paying at a hotel for my room I asked for the AARP discount. When paying with Am. Ex., the clerk said that the discount would be much larger using Am. Ex. discount rather than AARP.
I also found Geico Ins. to be much less that AARP.
Found no real benefits.
Stay away unless you want to join a lobby group.

Stay away unless you want to join a lobby group.

I have no problem supporting a lobby group that lobbies for things that I agree with.

But, they lost me when they decided to support the drug benefit scheme.

Peter

I've been able to beat AARP deals most of the time. Great concept. Imagine organizing the Gray Panthers then dropping the ball. :confused:

BUM

I've got AAA membership which sometimes offers the same discount as AARP. But during this past year, I've found that I can get an AARP discount many times when AAA is not available.

So what other discounts do other posters get? I'm always looking for a good deal. :)

I don't like AARP's politics much. I find them to take stands that I object to much of the time. I figure I'll voice my opinion as a member but probably won't be heard. As someone with very left-wing opinions, who has lived much of his life in Red states of North Carolina and Arizona, I'm used to not having my vote count. :D

Re: Is AARP worth it?

You mean we're not required to join AARP? Cool.

You mean we're not required to join AARP? Cool.

Nords of course not, this a free country, isn't it? :confused:

MJ ;)

Nords of course not, this a free country, isn't it? :confused: MJ ;)
So I take it that you haven't been reading their mailbox literature, hunh?

As far as AARP being a lobby group, I don't agree with everything they do, but I figure us older folks need someone to represent our issues. I think I read somewhere that they are the biggest lobby in the country, next to the NRA. I won't be joining the NRA, but do belong to AARP.

I get $2.00 a month off my earthlink service which pretty much pays for the membership. They also have Home Depot gift cards at 4% off. So if you have a big project, you can save 4% off the top.

They also have  Home Depot gift cards at 4% off.  So if you have a big project, you can save 4% off the top.
Well, now I'm ready to join!

Well, I belong to the NRA and the AARP, so I must really
have clout :). While I agree with the NRA almost 100%
of the time (they could be a little more hard-line though)
I frequently disagree with the AARP. They seem quite antigun, which is
probably my No. One political issue of all time. Anyway,
I belong, I read the mag and use the discounts. I do
not agree that you can get everything they offer without
being a member. Now, if the poster had said "you can
get MOST of it", that I could agree with. I would probably belong even if I used none of the programs
and discounts. It's a big group with a big voice.
I won't be leaving them a bequest, but The NRA.................
maybe.

JG

Back
Top Bottom