Is Anyone Surprised at this?

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Mark McGwire finally came clean, admitting he used steroids when he broke baseball's home run record in 1998. McGwire said in a statement sent to The Associated Press on Monday that he used steroids on and off for nearly a decade. During a 20-minute telephone interview shortly afterward, his voice repeatedly cracked.
"It's very emotional, it's telling family members, friends and coaches, you know, it's former teammates to try to get ahold of, you know, that I'm coming clean and being honest," he said. "It's the first time they've ever heard me, you know, talk about this. I hid it from everybody."
f33c2211-7058-4af1-ab51-8bfdc02d5a12_mn.jpg

No, I just read his statement. Poor guy, he was just trying to get better faster...

At least he finally admitted it.

I haven't been keeping up with this. Can someone please tell me why he did admit it finally?:(

And, in other news, water is wet.

I haven't been keeping up with this. Can someone please tell me why he did admit it finally?:(
My guess is that with the recent Hall of Fame voting showing a lot of people won't vote for him, he's hoping that coming clean will rehabilitate his image and give him a shot at being enshrined at Cooperstown. Some voters are willing to forgive as long as someone admits wrongdoing.

I got tired of all of the BS involved in 'professional sports' years ago, and quit following any of it years ago! I still like to watch a good baseball or basketball game occasionally, with players that are in it for the love of the game, so I prefer high school and youth sporting events! Some of the absolute best games I've seen over the years, was back when our two high schools had their 'cross-town rivalry' games...talk about some good players giving it their all!

As for the over-paid, whiny-a$$ed, doping "professionals".....fuhgeddaboudit!!! :bat:

I think he went public because he's going to start coaching with St. Louis. He'll have to deal with the media and so he's trying to get this issue out of the way rather than have every pre- and post-game news gathering peppered with "Did you use steroids?"

There is a picture in today's Wall St. Journal, 1/12/10, showing McGuire's picture in 1986 and then 1998. A blind man could see how much, much, much more beefed up he became by '98 after steroids. Everyone in baseball must have known about it or suspected I would think. It's pretty extreme, really.
McGuire should cry when testifying. He cheapened the game and himself...for what? He had the talent. He said he wanted to feel "normal," so it must have been extreme...and an extreme mistake he's finally paying for. Sad.

(If Pete Rose doesn't get Hall of Fame neither should McGuire or any of the other "cheaters" then is my opinion, and I loved Pete Rose.)

He's the poster boy for steroids.

mark_mcgwire_l.jpg

I think he went public because he's going to start coaching with St. Louis. He'll have to deal with the media and so he's trying to get this issue out of the way rather than have every pre- and post-game news gathering peppered with "Did you use steroids?"
I think he went public because St. Louis wrote it into his employment contract.

I wonder if he's lurking here trying to figure out how to run his numbers through FIRECalc...

My husband used to collect baseball cards and had some of McGwire as a rookie and later - uhhhhhh, no way he grew that big that fast on Wheaties and weights.....

Back
Top Bottom