Is it Live or Is It Memorex?

Do you watch TV live, or do you record it with a VCR or DVR?

• Almost 100% Live

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • 75% Live, 25% Recorded

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • 50% Live, 50% Recorded

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • 25% Live, 75% Recorded

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Almost 100% Recorded

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • We tape everything, we don't watch live TV anymore.

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters
T

TromboneAl

I can't stand commercials, and almost never watch TV without recording it first and skipping the ads. What about you?

I may or may not download all tv shows through torrents.

My son, the gadget freak, insists that I have to get a Tivo. I say I don't want any device that would make it easier to watch MORE TV!

Grumpy

grumpy said:
My son, the gadget freak, insists that I have to get a Tivo. I say I don't want any device that would make it easier to watch MORE TV!

It lets you watch better tv faster. So it's more better.

Aside from sports I don't really watch TV these days. I have a DVR recorder but usually have sports on live...er, or at least network-delayed. (Stupid NBC.) But I'm usually doing something else on the computer and mute commercials.

Tivo everything and we have for about 5 years now. Wont watch live tv...too much blah blah and too many crappy commercials.

Works out well for us...during periods like the christmas holidays and the current olympic drought, we're about 50 hours of shows behind and by the time we catch up...new stuff is on.

Last year, it wasnt until late september that we finished watching all the shows from the prior 'season'. It was kinda nice to go from the season finale 'cliffhangers' right to the new season premier episode...

Since we mostly work nights, if we want to see anything it has to be recorded We still have a stockpile of movies from when we signed up for DISH and got HBO for free ... then there were the hockey games DH recorded during the free preview for Prime Ticket or whatever that channel is....

Completely Fulla BS said:
Works out well for us...during periods like the christmas holidays and the current olympic drought, we're about 50 hours of shows behind and by the time we catch up...new stuff is on.

Last year, it wasnt until late september that we finished watching all the shows from the prior 'season'. It was kinda nice to go from the season finale 'cliffhangers' right to the new season premier episode...

This is in essence what I do as well. Problem is the watercooler chats at work. "Did you hear Bob Jones won survivor?" "Nope, sorry, I'm still 5 episodes from the end. But I guess I don't have to watch those last 5 episodes now, thanks to you." ::)

We usually manage to keep our "queue" of shows to watch down to 5-10 hours.

TA. you left out a full 100% live. I don't have any electronic equipment to record any TV program.

My problems are avoiding people spitting out things on internet boards, and my dad who knows I havent watched something but insists on telling me about it in bits and pieces until I know whats going to happen. MSN on one of their main web sites screaming out the "survivor" winner 15 minutes after the show was over and before I watched it was a little disappointing. Numbnuts telling the scores of games 20 minutes after they're over suck too.

My dad: "I know you havent watched this yet...but theres this one funny joke where so and so says 'blah'...well, its only funny if you know xyz happens...thats because so and so did abc...well...you'll see it".

Thanks. Feel like I already did... ;)

Two TiVos, cable, and direcTV. I never met anyone with a DVR that didn't like it.

I watch an average of one baseball game a week during the season, and that's about it for television other than the once-in-a-blue-moon news program. So it's live or nothing for me, but very little of it.

My assistant at work tapes everything then watches it a couple days later, we have to make her shut her door so the rest of us can chat about what ever we watched, she's becoming a pain in the butt.

Tivo and football are a match made in heaven. Since moving from the east coast I never really adapted to football at 10:00 in the morning.

Now we can record the games, enjoy our lunch, and sit down to watch the games at 1:00pm like god intended. And skip all the commercials, blah blah and hoo-hah. We usually catch up to live action by the end of the second game. Saves us about 3 hours of time sitting watching crap.

Hmmmm. I guess I must be in the minority here. I watch so little TV that I don't remember what buttons to push on the VCR to record. VCR has stayed flashing since I plugged it in after our move 3.5 years ago. Have not even read anything to understand what TIVO is about.

I tend to watch the 6 o'clock local news and sometimes a NASCAR race or part of an NFL game on Sunday. Rarely watch any other sports. I don't watch any regular programming.

Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny said:
MSN on one of their main web sites screaming out the "survivor" winner 15 minutes after the show was over and before I watched it was a little disappointing.

My wife uses her knowledge of who got kicked off survivor against me (she doesn't care to watch the show). She'll say "take out the trash now or I'll tell you who got kicked off survivor." Then occasionally she'll let little clues slip - "she - oops I mean 'that person' that got kicked off" or "the old person with grey hair". Grrrrrr...

Is TiVO the only DVR that tries to predict what you might like to watch? We have DishNetwork and I believe they use their own DVR. Can you buy a DVR that has this feature without being subjected to monthly subscription fees?

MJ said:
TA. you left out a full 100% live. I don't have any electronic equipment to record any TV program.

Ditto. Have been entertaining the idea of a Tivo lately, but don't really care about tv all that much.

WanderALot said:
Is TiVO the only DVR that tries to predict what you might like to watch? We have DishNetwork and I believe they use their own DVR. Can you buy a DVR that has this feature without being subjected to monthly subscription fees?

As far as I know tivo is the only one. You *can* sort of duck the majority of the cost by going with the directv version, which charges just 5.99 a month no matter how many tivo's you have. If you get a plain tivo, its something like $12.99 a month for the first one and 6.99 a month for the subsequent ones.

The 'suggestions' feature is sort of nice but unnecessary. I use it for fluffy filler stuff. It will basically fill up all of your available free space with stuff that is 'like' other stuff, or if most people who watch the same shows you do also watch another that you dont, it'll try that one out on you. When we've both had a tough day at the beach and just want to watch something fluffy, I have ours 'trained' to get cooking shows and old comedy series we've seen a thousand times. We usually have a hundred or so of them sitting in 'suggestions'.

Back
Top Bottom