Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you watch TV live, or do you record it with a VCR or DVR?
Almost 100% Live 23 48.94%
75% Live, 25% Recorded 2 4.26%
50% Live, 50% Recorded 5 10.64%
25% Live, 75% Recorded 4 8.51%
Almost 100% Recorded 11 23.40%
We tape everything, we don't watch live TV anymore. 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Is it Live or Is It Memorex?
Old 02-24-2006, 01:37 PM   #1

Is it Live or Is It Memorex?

I can't stand commercials, and almost never watch TV without recording it first and skipping the ads. What about you?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Is it Live or Is It Memorex?
Old 02-24-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I may or may not download all tv shows through torrents.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:02 PM   #3

My son, the gadget freak, insists that I have to get a Tivo. I say I don't want any device that would make it easier to watch MORE TV!

Grumpy
Old 02-24-2006, 02:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
My son, the gadget freak, insists that I have to get a Tivo. I say I don't want any device that would make it easier to watch MORE TV!
It lets you watch better tv faster. So it's more better.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:17 PM   #5

Aside from sports I don't really watch TV these days. I have a DVR recorder but usually have sports on live...er, or at least network-delayed. (Stupid NBC.) But I'm usually doing something else on the computer and mute commercials.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 07:52 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tivo everything and we have for about 5 years now. Wont watch live tv...too much blah blah and too many crappy commercials.

Works out well for us...during periods like the christmas holidays and the current olympic drought, we're about 50 hours of shows behind and by the time we catch up...new stuff is on.

Last year, it wasnt until late september that we finished watching all the shows from the prior 'season'. It was kinda nice to go from the season finale 'cliffhangers' right to the new season premier episode...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:35 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Since we mostly work nights, if we want to see anything it has to be recorded We still have a stockpile of movies from when we signed up for DISH and got HBO for free ... then there were the hockey games DH recorded during the free preview for Prime Ticket or whatever that channel is....
Old 02-25-2006, 02:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Completely Fulla BS
Works out well for us...during periods like the christmas holidays and the current olympic drought, we're about 50 hours of shows behind and by the time we catch up...new stuff is on.

Last year, it wasnt until late september that we finished watching all the shows from the prior 'season'. It was kinda nice to go from the season finale 'cliffhangers' right to the new season premier episode...
This is in essence what I do as well. Problem is the watercooler chats at work. "Did you hear Bob Jones won survivor?" "Nope, sorry, I'm still 5 episodes from the end. But I guess I don't have to watch those last 5 episodes now, thanks to you." :

We usually manage to keep our "queue" of shows to watch down to 5-10 hours.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:01 PM   #9

TA. you left out a full 100% live. I don't have any electronic equipment to record any TV program.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:02 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

My problems are avoiding people spitting out things on internet boards, and my dad who knows I havent watched something but insists on telling me about it in bits and pieces until I know whats going to happen. MSN on one of their main web sites screaming out the "survivor" winner 15 minutes after the show was over and before I watched it was a little disappointing. Numbnuts telling the scores of games 20 minutes after they're over suck too.

My dad: "I know you havent watched this yet...but theres this one funny joke where so and so says 'blah'...well, its only funny if you know xyz happens...thats because so and so did abc...well...you'll see it".

Thanks. Feel like I already did...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:10 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Two TiVos, cable, and direcTV. I never met anyone with a DVR that didn't like it.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:24 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I watch an average of one baseball game a week during the season, and that's about it for television other than the once-in-a-blue-moon news program. So it's live or nothing for me, but very little of it.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:26 AM   #13

My assistant at work tapes everything then watches it a couple days later, we have to make her shut her door so the rest of us can chat about what ever we watched, she's becoming a pain in the butt.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:15 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Tivo and football are a match made in heaven. Since moving from the east coast I never really adapted to football at 10:00 in the morning.

Now we can record the games, enjoy our lunch, and sit down to watch the games at 1:00pm like god intended. And skip all the commercials, blah blah and hoo-hah. We usually catch up to live action by the end of the second game. Saves us about 3 hours of time sitting watching crap.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:12 PM   #15

Hmmmm. I guess I must be in the minority here. I watch so little TV that I don't remember what buttons to push on the VCR to record. VCR has stayed flashing since I plugged it in after our move 3.5 years ago. Have not even read anything to understand what TIVO is about.

I tend to watch the 6 o'clock local news and sometimes a NASCAR race or part of an NFL game on Sunday. Rarely watch any other sports. I don't watch any regular programming.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny
MSN on one of their main web sites screaming out the "survivor" winner 15 minutes after the show was over and before I watched it was a little disappointing.
My wife uses her knowledge of who got kicked off survivor against me (she doesn't care to watch the show). She'll say "take out the trash now or I'll tell you who got kicked off survivor." Then occasionally she'll let little clues slip - "she - oops I mean 'that person' that got kicked off" or "the old person with grey hair". Grrrrrr...
Old 02-28-2006, 01:32 PM   #17

Is TiVO the only DVR that tries to predict what you might like to watch? We have DishNetwork and I believe they use their own DVR. Can you buy a DVR that has this feature without being subjected to monthly subscription fees?
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
TA. you left out a full 100% live. I don't have any electronic equipment to record any TV program.
Ditto. Have been entertaining the idea of a Tivo lately, but don't really care about tv all that much.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:15 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot
Is TiVO the only DVR that tries to predict what you might like to watch? We have DishNetwork and I believe they use their own DVR. Can you buy a DVR that has this feature without being subjected to monthly subscription fees?
As far as I know tivo is the only one. You *can* sort of duck the majority of the cost by going with the directv version, which charges just 5.99 a month no matter how many tivo's you have. If you get a plain tivo, its something like $12.99 a month for the first one and 6.99 a month for the subsequent ones.

The 'suggestions' feature is sort of nice but unnecessary. I use it for fluffy filler stuff. It will basically fill up all of your available free space with stuff that is 'like' other stuff, or if most people who watch the same shows you do also watch another that you dont, it'll try that one out on you. When we've both had a tough day at the beach and just want to watch something fluffy, I have ours 'trained' to get cooking shows and old comedy series we've seen a thousand times. We usually have a hundred or so of them sitting in 'suggestions'.