Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-29-2021, 07:22 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yeah, I can't just drink coffee and surf the net for more than a couple hours.

Then I have to go do something -
I will admit, there are days when I go directly from drinking coffee to drinking beer. but, I try to limit those.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2021, 02:03 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, the only thing I'd be concerned about is the beer. If drinking habits are changing, it might suggest a problem for the future. Otherwise, lazy is just an unpleasant word for "unmotivated." You'll find your stride in FIRE just like the large majority of us have. Enjoy being "lazy" and then enjoy whatever comes along. Only speaking from one anecdotal person - me - so YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:07 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I worked my butt off for 35 years, most of it enjoyable. Now I am doing what I want (with ony some unwanted tasks that I am best for fixing). I love every minute and I enjoy outsourcing jobs that I am expert at.

Drinking was a part of my w*rk so yes I have cut back. Anyone has to find a balance that works best for them. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:39 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have to go to the dentist for my 6 month checkup tomorrow.

This requires that I actually have to get up at a certain time, wear some type of appropriate clothing and drive.

Ughh. This seriously messes up my laziness routine.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:31 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11522914 View Post
I have to go to the dentist for my 6 month checkup tomorrow.

This requires that I actually have to get up at a certain time, wear some type of appropriate clothing and drive.

Ughh. This seriously messes up my laziness routine.
I went for my 6 month check-up in August. I was only two years late due to Covid. But I know what you mean. I find myself resenting having to get dressed before 9:00AM. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:44 PM   #46
Dryer sheet wannabe

I absolutely love the freedom of retirement, it is very liberating. However I did find that I needed a little bit of structure in the day. So 5 days a week I watch the morning news or something while I stationary bike at home. And usually do at least one other exercise related thing everyday, walk, gym, etc. Then it seems my mind allows me to do whatever, or nothing the rest of the day.

I pretty much drink only Friday or Saturday evenings as it still is nice to "cap" off a week.
Getyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:31 PM   #47

Today I was fairly industrious. I changed not one, but TWO light bulbs in ceiling fixtures!
Old 12-01-2021, 03:37 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Today I was fairly industrious. I changed not one, but TWO light bulbs in ceiling fixtures!
Oh, no! Now you've done it!

How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb?

One to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs.

53 to flame the spell checkers.

41 to correct spelling/grammar flames.

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb"...another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp".

15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct.

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy".

109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb group

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be stopped.

111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this group.

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique, and what brands are faulty.

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs.

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's.

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group.

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too".

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy.

19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three".

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ.

44 to ask what is a "FAQ".

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs".

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again....
Old 12-01-2021, 03:54 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I will admit, there are days when I go directly from drinking coffee to drinking beer. but, I try to limit those.
If I did that I’d be in the toilet all day!
Old 12-01-2021, 04:39 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb"...another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct.

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy".

109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb group

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be stopped.

111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this group.

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique, and what brands are faulty.

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's.

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group.

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too".

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy.

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs".

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again....
Somehow, it just dawned on me that you have a lot of free time today.....
Old 12-01-2021, 05:16 PM   #51

Quote:
Oh, no! Now you've done it! <snip>

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy. <snip>
Old 12-03-2021, 07:22 AM   #52
gone traveling

I find the longer I've been retired the lazier I get, except when it comes to playing pickleball.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:02 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Pfft. Lazy is such a loaded word. I prefer being leisurely.

I didn't coin the phrase but can certainly agree with the notion that most days I wake up with not much planned but find myself only completing half of it when the day is done.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:33 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Pfft. Lazy is such a loaded word. I prefer being leisurely.

I didn't coin the phrase but can certainly agree with the notion that most days I wake up with not much planned but find myself only completing half of it when the day is done.
Think I mentioned earlier that I prefer the term "unmotivated." That puts a certain level of "externality" on the "condition." So, it's "not my fault."

Old 12-03-2021, 01:05 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You forgot:

1 to say "I smell bacon".

1 to say "Is Porky on the way?"

2 to post the popcorn munching icon.

Old 12-03-2021, 04:30 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcelwee View Post
I've got 22 working days (93 calendar days) until retirement. We have purchased some farm property and plan on moving as soon as I retire. Our current house will be sold some months after that. We are not taking much with us because we are leaving a 2350 sft house with a 900 sft workshop and two sheds and going to a 700 sft single wide. I know I need to sell everything I own on Craigslist/Facebook but I am not working very hard towards that goal. In addition, I am working mostly 4 days on and then 4 days off and it seems like my 4 days off consist of sitting around watching movies and drinking. Am I entitled to "take it easy" while my 32 years with megacorp wind down or I am I just being lazy. I am worried that I am going to spend my retirement being a couch potato. Did you guys slow down when it got close to the end of your career?
One does not have to be driven, but I would be rudderless without things to do. Now I pick what I do, but I establish my own list of things to do and deadlines. I cannot imagine it is good mental or physical health to spend much time watching movies and drinking. Life is too short to make it shorter.
bookman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:06 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Why not market your property as having everything a buyer would want? A few years ago, our very elderly neighbor died. His son was a piece of work and wanted nothing to do with getting the house ready for sale. The inside was very dated. We were shocked when a young couple bought the house with literally everything left in the house. And I mean everything. I believe they got quite the deal on price. They have spent five years renovating it. The first six months or so was just trashing and selling items but mostly trashing.
HGTVFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:21 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I find the longer I've been retired the lazier I get, except when it comes to playing pickleball.
Amen.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:48 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGTVFanatic View Post
Why not market your property as having everything a buyer would want?........

And a whole mess of crap you don't want.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:08 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

You're being lazy.
Enjoy it.
eyenitnoy is offline   Reply With Quote