Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-25-2020, 06:48 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Thread drift:

What about those banks (and other companies) who want to charge you for one paper statement per month, but every week they send one or two large, glossy advertisements in the mail?
I can’t accuse BoA of that. We use online statements and wouldn’t want a paper statement. And all their “junk mail” is via email, they don’t send anything via snail mail, and we like that.

I wish we could stop all the other junk mail. We’re constantly asking to be removed from mailing lists, but it’s relentless. We’d never use the 95% of the products and services, some partly because of the excessive junk mail.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2020, 07:03 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

We've switched to email CVS receipts and still the one we get at the shop is as long a normal store receipt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Oh yeah! CVS receipts are notorious.
<<SNIP>>
Old 02-25-2020, 07:18 AM   #23
gone traveling

No cash for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I’m curious where all you infrequent ATM users get your pocket money?
I have not used any cash in the USA during the last 20 months.
Everything (even 69¢ of broccoli) goes on a credit card.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:35 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thread drift:

What about those banks (and other companies) who want to charge you for one paper statement per month, but every week they send one or two large, glossy advertisements in the mail?

And if you have multiple accounts to the same address they'll mail each statement in a separate envelope. But online the same accounts are grouped on the same page.
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:42 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Thread drift:

I got a letter from my online bank yesterday.
Turns out they have a single physical branch 2400 miles from where I live.
The letter, envelope, and postage was to tell me that they would no longer be accepting deposits in the ATMs at that branch...
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:57 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
So I go to CVS and buy a pack of gum with my "Care Card." The register regurgitates 10 feet of (mostly worthless) coupons. I'm not exaggerating too much here - maybe just a little.
One of my drugs is free so I don't pay CVS anything for it. But I still get one of those mile-long receipts! I think I have used ONE of those coupons in all the years I have shopped with them, only because I forgot to buy something with the purchase and that same item was magically among the sea of coupons. Usually, the coupon is for the item I just bought!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:59 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I have not used any cash in the USA during the last 20 months.
Everything (even 69¢ of broccoli) goes on a credit card.
A few years ago I decided to do the same. If I get any change I save it for Salvation Army at year's end.

Now I get impatient when I see someone trying to make exact change for a cashier. My friend refuses to use a credit card and claims he saves more money by being forced to use real dollars. I point out the extra $'s from rewards but to no avail.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:04 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I have pretty much stopped using ATMs any more. But this is mostly due to not spending as much cash as I used to. When my weekly square dancing ended in July of 2018 (the caller became ill and sadly died 4 months later), that took about half of my monthly cash usage away. I get a check every month from someone who owes me money, so when I deposit it, I make a split deposit and get my total monthly cash that way. I happen to prefer mostly $10 bills, so I need a teller to give me the correct denominations.

At BofA, I recall the ATM asking me if I wanted the receipt email only or print or print+email.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:18 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
It's like Olive Garden only giving one olive on a plate (hello... its called OLIVE Garden)... most of the customers don't eat them so OG ends up throwing out a lot of olives.
No, they don't throw them out; they put them in the garden.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:32 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
From the Costco executive rebate and Costco credit card rewards. That’s usually more cash than we use in a year
Old 02-25-2020, 09:58 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I use ATMs fairly often, monthly at least. Seems to me that many of them ask if I want a receipt instead of printing one automatically. That would be a better solution.

Wells asks if you want a receipt or email or none.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:56 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would say tooth to tail: ordering paper, storing paper, installing paper, etc. Its not just the paper. Its the time and labor far more importantly. Plus a floor full of receipts does not kend an air of upscale banking. I knew a guy who maintained Atms. He had to respond to "out of paper" alerts day and night. $$
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:16 PM   #33

at my branch the store manager or selected employee refills the ATM at the start of the day. My branch is the Regional HQ so maybe an outlying branch outsources it?
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
So I go to CVS and buy a pack of gum with my "Care Card." The register regurgitates 10 feet of (mostly worthless) coupons. I'm not exaggerating too much here - maybe just a little.

My guess: The paper in an ATM is virtually 'free' by comparison to what it costs Chase (or whomever) to INSURE that their machine NEVER runs out of paper. The bonded folks who service the machines probably cost $35 a call to stuff the machine with cash and change out the paper rolls (long before they need it - just in case.) YMMV

No you are not exaggerating much wrt the length of those coupon receipts. To add insult some counties around here impose .05 bag tax if you want a bag to cut down on paper and plastic waste. Picture me walking out with my arms loaded with “stuff”, no bag, and a 10 foot receipt ribbon trailing behind me!
Old 02-26-2020, 09:02 PM   #35

I have a choice and opt that I don't want one. What would I do with it really?
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:05 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Reminds me of the time I listened to a Radio Jock and he suggested looking for ATM receipts that showed large balances...I found one with about 200K listed on it and when I went out to the clubs and chatted up some girl I pulled out the receipt to write my phone number on it. I'm ashamed to say that it actually worked.
Out_the_Door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:13 PM   #37

No doubt you can find this stuff for way less elsewhere, but.... at one of the local grocery stores they have a section devoted to paper 'gift bags'. The small ones are $4.95 (about the size of a lunch bag). And the big ones ( 2 feet by 2 feet) are something like $8.95 and $9.95). They're just glossy shiny paper with colorful designs, and 2 straps on top. Un believable.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:53 AM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
So?
For me, ATM usage is free.
But, on the other hand, I only use an ATM about once every 3 years.
Funny. I ALWAYS have cash in my wallet. I feel naked without it. I visit the (free) ATM about twice a week and always take my receipt!

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:55 AM   #39

Quote:
We use ours weekly. ..... I’m curious where all you infrequent ATM users get your pocket money?
Cash back at the self checkout grocery store
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:29 AM   #40

Quote:
We use ours weekly. Our ATM offers email, print or both receipts. DW insists on a receipt, I think it’s a waste of paper. So I’d be privately pleased if our bank eliminated ATM paper receipts, makes sense to me for several reasons like environment, bank labor, etc.

The ATM. USAA's policy of refunding ATM fees got me thinking that, since it's a credit union, it's really my money they're refunding, so I decided to take out the maximum every time I use an ATM. Consequently, I don't need to go very often. I keep most of the cash in a secure place at home, and use it as needed.