Join Early Retirement Today

Is retirement like New Year's Eve?
Old 10-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

When you retired, did you start out with all sorts of good intentions to change your lifestyle, habits - like New Year's resolutions but longer term.

Did you sustain the changes?

Or, OTOH, did lifestyle changes (if any) just sort of happen as a result of more free time, boredom, desperation, or whatever.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Nui
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
When you retired, did you start out with all sorts of good intentions to change your lifestyle, habits - like New Year's resolutions but longer term.

Or, OTOH, did lifestyle changes (if any) just sort of happen as a result of more free time, boredom, desperation, or whatever.

Nui
2 years in, and our lifestyle has changed completely, and in line with all our intentions.

Life is great.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

For me, retirement has been a lot more relaxing and fun than I had anticipated.

Retirement means oceans and oceans of time. Still, I have not been bored and I have so much left to do. My lifestyle changes have been fun and that has been the motivation for them. I am enjoying the journey, as they say, and doing what I want to with my life.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My biggest "resolution" was to learn how to relax, i.e. drop the Type A achiever persona and become mellower. Stop and smell the roses, learn how to just sit around and do nothing productive...

Almost 5 years in FIRE, and the best progress I'll give myself is calling myself a Type A minus.

I have done a lot of gardening and plant growing, something I was only able to do minimally pre-FIRE.
I'm also spending more quality time in my house, versus only a few hours at a time and always in a rush. I've decluttered substantially, giving most of the no longer used household items to younger friends who can truly put them to use or as donations to veterans' groups raffles or church rummage sales.
I am doing cosmetic fixes to my house interior for minor issues that went neglected for decades. I get a lot of satisfaction out of that.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I think of retirement more like Christmas Eve
Old 10-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
did lifestyle changes (if any) just sort of happen as a result of more free time, boredom, desperation, or whatever.

Nui
Most of my lifestyle changes just happened slowly . I joined a gym ,lost 22 pounds and met a great group of non working friends . I started trying new recipes and new activities . I travel more at the spur of the moment and my SO & I have gotten more spontaneous in enjoying life . I thought I would get more projects done around the house but I've learned the joy of naps .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I hope not. I have no desire to have a few drinks and then sleep through it.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Nui
Philip Greenspun throws some cold water on a few retirement dreams here:
Quote:
Ask a wage slave what he'd like to accomplish. Chances are the response will be something like "I'd start every day at the gym and work out for two hours until I was as buff as Brad Pitt. Then I'd practice the piano for three hours. I'd become fluent in Mandarin so that I could be prepared to understand the largest transformation of our time. I'd really learn how to handle a polo pony. I'd learn to fly a helicopter. I'd finish the screenplay that I've been writing and direct a production of it in HDTV."

Why hasn't he accomplished all of those things? "Because I'm chained to this desk 50 hours per week at this horrible [insurance|programming|government|administrative|wh atever] job.

So he has no doubt that he would get all these things done if he didn't have to work? "Absolutely none. If I didn't have the job, I would be out there living the dream."

Suppose that the guy cashes in his investments and does retire. What do we find? He is waking up at 9:30 am, surfing the Web, sorting out the cable TV bill, watching DVDs, talking about going to the gym, eating Doritos, and maybe accomplishing one of his stated goals.

Retirement forces you to stop thinking that it is your job that holds you back. For most people the depressing truth is that they aren't that organized, disciplined, or motivated.
Early Retirement

Me, I started out with a list of stuff I wanted to accomplish in retirement, as if I had to impress people with how I was using my time. Now, I do what is important to me. And still make it to the gym for a couple of hours most every day except Sunday but Brad Pitt ain't got nothing to worry about, yet.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Me, I started out with a list of stuff I wanted to accomplish in retirement, as if I had to impress people with how I was using my time. Now, I do what is important to me. And still make it to the gym for a couple of hours most every day except Sunday
+1 (except that we only go to the gym 3 days/week, though faithfully)

It's still all fun. I still have a list of a couple of dozen interesting endeavors that I haven't even touched...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I feel sorry for anyone who cannot figure out what to do with their time in retirement. You are staring at the greatest gift of a lifetime: unimited free time. Even if you spent your whole day masturbating, it would be more fulfilling than the whole day in the gray fabric-lined cube typing away (or worse: in meetings).

As Machine Gun Kelly said: "Its an instrument: play it."

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:28 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

My day-to-day lifestyle did not chance much after I retired nearly 3 years ago (10/31/2008) because I had been working only 2 days a week for 17 months. I went from having 5 days off to 7 days off, not a big change. I was able to go out on Tuesday night which I had rarely been able to do before because I almost always worked on Tuesdays, a considerable improvement. Being able to more easily schedule my volunteer work was helpful as well.

Instead, it was in 2001 switching from working full-time to working part-time and mostly from home which had the biggest change in my everyday life. I was able to begin my volunteer work and regain my personal life with the added time. Being able to do my local errands midday during the week instead of mostly on weekends was a huge improvement, too. [I would eventually lose the telecommute part of the deal and have to work 3 days aweek until I cut it to 2 days in 2007.]
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:29 AM   #12
gone traveling

Upon reflection, it was more like Thanksgiving afternoon - with a full tummy, the dishes (w*rk) washed, watching TV and falling asleep.

When I retired, I had been w*rking for over 45 years - some in non-paid (e.g. family business), followed by later well-paid, but high stress level j*bs caused not only by responsibility, but also much travel, both CONUS and international which kept me away from home/family for periods of time.

In the 4.5 years since the day I retired, the word that would describe my life today is "contentment".

I did not advance to retirement by planning a lot of post-retirement planned activities, but my goal was to move away from those many years that were not my own; that is I was under somebody else's control of my time - my life.

BTW, at my last place of employment, I wor*ed most New Year's eve's. No party at all .

Today, life is good...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:46 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When you retired, did you start out with all sorts of good intentions to change your lifestyle, habits..........Nui
Lifestyle? Yes. No more a$$hole boss, inane meetings, pointless performance reviews, Sunday night call ins, last minute travel, needless stress.

Habits? No, I'm still a lazy bum, but now it is at my own pace.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a year and a half in, and my days are very different from what I had planned. I had planned for 6 mos travel each year, but so far I have mostly stayed at home and immersed myself in martial arts. I consider myself lucky to have been able to drift in that completely unexpected direction.

As far as holidays, that's easy: ER is most like the first day of summer vacation. The same feeling of limitless freedom and anticipation.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I feel sorry for anyone who cannot figure out what to do with their time in retirement. You are staring at the greatest gift of a lifetime: unimited free time.
+1

I’ve announced my retirement date, and I’m still amazed at the number of people that come up to me and ask what I’m going to do with all of my free time. They either tell you, or you can see it in their faces, they have no clue how they would fill their days. I feel very sorry for them, they must not have any friends, family, hobbies, or desire to travel.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

I hope not. I have no desire to have a few drinks and then sleep through it.
....that's the way it works for me now.

However in my younger years I can compare New Year's Eve with retirement. I danced, ran around acting like a fool and had a few bevs.

Afterwards I threw up a little.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Not much like my version of New Years Eve - I sleep through the beginning of the year with no resolutions.

I went from 5 to 4 to 3 and now to 2 work days a week so I haven't noticed a drastic lifestyle change. Exercise early every morning, Home and hobby projects the rest of the day, tv & computer at night. Travel every month or 2. I'm having a problem getting my project list whittled down, and now I realize that I'll have no problem keeping busy in full retirement.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote