Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
There's a post about the 10 best places to grow old that received a lot of negativity. "I couldn't live in Xxxxx because of the people." It got me to thinking about my experience relocating.

[....]
I can't help but think life retirement is much the same. I see it as an adventure.

So few will take a chance.. and I think it is a pity.
Anyone else relocate to a better life Care to chime in?
I read recently that only about 5% of people actually relocate to a different state, when they retire. So, despite all the press given to the subject, very few actually move to another state.

I have gone back & forth on the issue. There are pro's and con's. I'm in the process of figuring out whether I want to remain in my current city the rest of my life.

It's a big decision. But I see retirement as you do, an adventure.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2017, 09:06 AM   #22

The color of the grass changes depending on your stage in life. My current location was great for commuting to a good job and raising children and whatnot, but now that I'm retired none of that matters, and so other areas have become greener and the current location browner.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
I read recently that only about 5% of people actually relocate to a different state, when they retire. So, despite all the press given to the subject, very few actually move to another state.

I have gone back & forth on the issue. There are pro's and con's. I'm in the process of figuring out whether I want to remain in my current city the rest of my life.

It's a big decision. But I see retirement as you do, an adventure.
+1. So are we. The only thing we know for sure is we're going to buy a new house, to downsize, update and change neighborhoods. Whether we stay where we are, or relocate, has been the open question - for 6 years so far...

And I've also seen stats that suggest very few retirees actually relocate.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I have lived in 5 different states and there was good and bad in all of them. I have been in NV 20 years now and could not see moving. We have many good friends, weather is a beautiful, mild 4 seasons and our home is perfect to age in place. Plus I am sick of starting over. Briefly we thought of moving to the Villages as it would be easy to establish a social network. But I hate heat and would rather be cold then hot so it was a no go.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I don't think most folks move for the sake of moving. Moving is a major hassle and it's expensive.

You go for employment or because you don't like where you are or you want something else.

Stats say that 80% of people are born, live and die in a hundred mile radius. Only 20% of us have wanderlust.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:52 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I regard the decision to move as being somewhat similar to the decision to go see a movie. What I mean by that is, if it sounds like fun, and if one is free to move and can afford it, then why not.

It just doesn't sound like fun to us right now. It did sound like fun before we retired, because it was a great daydream to put hundreds of miles between our location and the workplace. However, after being retired for 8 years without having to deal with work at all, the idea of staying here has become much more attractive.

And yes, most of these articles are full of baloney IMO. Different people like different locations.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:48 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Indeed everyone is different in wants and needs. I think reason most people don't move is nearness to family, aversion to change and the unknown, just can't afford it and many other reasons. Just like many would like to retire but can't, as recent average household savings indicate.

Two things - Standard of Living and Quality of Life. You can have the highest standard of living in Mogadishu but will you be happy. Most would live/relocate to an area where they have both.
sheldon cornped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
That was in reference to Utah, I believe; beautiful place, nice people. We don't live far from there.

I'm guessing it was a political reference since the poster lives in MA. Personally we moved here from Texas 6 years ago not knowing a single soul and have no regrets.

People are people everywhere.
Love the Ski'ing in Utah!!!
Old 08-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Hmm. so this thread isn't related to the uther'n?

Trophy Spouse, Companion, or Live Alone
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:05 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I've lived in 4-5 states depending on the length of stay.

When we moved to KC at 21 were were told to move to the KS side. We both hated it! Absolutely nothing in common with folks and well I didn't care for some aspects of life there. Moving 30 miles into Missouri made all the difference between the hating the area and enjoying most of it.

After 10 years of looking around the country we like this area enough to pull up stakes and start over again. Not for everyone but it's working for us. I was afraid of DW and 100"+ of snow, but it's preferred to tornado threats!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:22 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Spoken by someone who has always seemed to me to be one of the happiest people here!
Ha ha.......not so sure about that. I have my moments. I'm just one of those that doesn't require a lot to make me content/satisfied. I guess that qualifies as being happy.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:25 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Waterbury, Connecticut to The Woodlands, Texas. No more needs to be said.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Stats say that 80% of people are born, live and die in a hundred mile radius. Only 20% of us have wanderlust.
Is that right? Damn. I can't imagine living in one place my whole life. I have made big moves at least a dozen times in my life.

There's always something sad about leaving everything behind. There is also something exciting about starting over like that, with a clean slate. There is a sense of possibility and the thrill of the unknown and unexplored. It can provoke a sort of existential angst, too, because all the familiar anchors are gone.

As people get older, I suppose they get more anchored to their current location (family, friends, associates, kids) and also perhaps more conservative, less willing to risk new adventures. Generalizing here. I'd like to think I'm an exception, but I do notice that at 56, I'm less reluctant to pull up stakes and move, compared to when I was 20.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I can't help but think life retirement is much the same. I see it as an adventure.
+1. I'm pretty much hoping counting on that it is like this. It's the thing about retirement I am most looking forward to.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:28 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
As people get older, I suppose they get more anchored to their current location (family, friends, associates, kids) and also perhaps more conservative, less willing to risk new adventures. Generalizing here. I'd like to think I'm an exception, but I do notice that at 56, I'm less reluctant to pull up stakes and move, compared to when I was 20.
"anchored to their current location" and "less willing to risk new adventures" tends to suggest that people might be missing out on something...not that was your intent.

It could be that those who stay in place have already found what they want and need and are happy. The ones who wander do so because they're restless and still searching...
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
It could be that those who stay in place have already found what they want and need and are happy. The ones who wander do so because they're restless and still searching...
+1

We knew many years before retiring we wanted to stay in the area. The DW and I have lived in MS, KS, AL, FL, CA and five different cities in TX. That was more than enough "new adventures" to give us a feel for what best met our preferences.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

We've probably been on the road about 20 percent of our retirement to mostly places new to us--that satisfies a lot of our adventurous needs without moving permanently from one residence to another. And that's just one point on the spectrum--plenty of people either don't feel a need for adventure or satisfied it long ago. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Living in a high COL area does not guarantee a better life. And there are many high COL areas where you can live at a much, much lower cost within 30-60 miles and enjoy all the benefits of the high COL area. Chicagoland is a perfect example, there are hundreds/thousands of others.
We expect to relocate from the Metro DC area in retirement, but will most likely stay within a 2-3 hour drive. While we'd like to make a move, we enjoy the region and can't see starting over completely.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
"anchored to their current location" and "less willing to risk new adventures" tends to suggest that people might be missing out on something...not that was your intent.

True, good point. They are missing out on the adventure, but it could be that the "adventure" isn't as enticing to them as staying where they are and enjoying what they have, and it's not worth the hassle of moving. I get that.

In fact, I may be in that boat myself. Another thing that's happened as I've gotten older is that I've gotten more content with what I have (still working on this). As a result of that, I feel less of a desire to relocate.

Still, there's something exciting about the idea of breaking with the past and starting anew. You never know. I'm not sure I like the idea of being "settled down," even at my age.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:59 AM   #40
gone traveling

Quote:
Once moved much of being happy is making the most of what your new location has to offer. Not dwelling on what you gave up.
Or, skip the "move" part and make the most of what your current location has to offer.

And don't dwell on what you imagine might or might not be better in a different location.

We all choose our own path.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote