Is There A Hand Signal For "Just Hang Up The Phone And Drive?"

I will give the idiot a pass on this one.... our Ford Explorer has the gas intake on the "other" side... always makes it look like we are going against the rest of the world... and when I forget (not may main car), I have to drive around to get it right...

I do that often, but it is not the same thing!

Perhaps you are not a member of Costco, whose gas stations are not at all like the typical station on a street corner. Of all their stations that I have been to, they are arranged like a 6 or 8-lane freeway, all going in the same direction with signs directing the traffic. Even if the refill island is on the wrong side of your car, their hoses are long enough to reach.

What this guy did was the same as driving down the freeway in the wrong direction, squeezing between lanes!

Some dumb people still do that, but if you are DUI or yaking on the phone, you would have much less of an excuse.

For the most part i just ignore them and drive on.
When I was young, I used to get angry, but now, I would just shake my head.
Wouldn't flip my finger at anyone. There are a lot of wackos out there. And they may have guns with them.

When I was young, I used to get angry, but now, I would just shake my head.
Wouldn't flip my finger at anyone. There are a lot of wackos out there. And they may have guns with them.

About 5 years ago I had some one tailgating me for miles. It was really getting me nervous and pissed off. I spent so much time worrying that they were going to hit me it was hard for me to concentrate on the road ahead. I made a somewhat aggressive maneuver to try to shake them, and they got very aggressive in return.

At that point I realized this could escalate quickly, so I backed down, and I remember to just "chill" when this comes up again. You really don't know what's in their minds, no need to find out.

-ERD50

One of the advantages of being retired is I'm rarely in a hurry to get anywhere. I avoid distracted drivers even if it means changing my route. Would never try to communicate with them - too many road rage incidents around here to risk it. I will admit there are times I wish I could fire the photon torpedoes...

YouTube - DS9 torpedoes

About 5 years ago I had some one tailgating me for miles. It was really getting me nervous and pissed off. I spent so much time worrying that they were going to hit me it was hard for me to concentrate on the road ahead. I made a somewhat aggressive maneuver to try to shake them, and they got very aggressive in return.

At that point I realized this could escalate quickly, so I backed down, and I remember to just "chill" when this comes up again. You really don't know what's in their minds, no need to find out.

-ERD50

Had a few of those. I just flick the lights on a few times. Initial reaction of tailgater is that the brake lights are coming on, and they brake.

If the message in not penetrating thick skull, the next maneuvre is a very hard stab the brakes, then release. It has allways worked. Occasionally rewarded in the rear view mirror, the single digit salute indicating the the tailgater's IQ. :D And it tells me that I'm still #1:)

Had a few of those. I just flick the lights on a few times. Initial reaction of tailgater is that the brake lights are coming on, and they brake.

If the message in not penetrating thick skull, the next maneuvre is a very hard stab the brakes, then release. It has allways worked. Occasionally rewarded in the rear view mirror, the single digit salute indicating the the tailgater's IQ. :D And it tells me that I'm still #1:)

That's essentially what I did (w/o the salute) - he didn't get the message, so I did it a bit harder one or two more times - he pulled up to next to me in a no-passing zone and almost drove me off the road. At that point I figured he could be drunk/drugged/crazy/carrying - I decided it was time to back down and let me self-preservation instincts kick in. I couldn't get a plate # or I would have called 911.

Question for the LE types on the forum: Does it make sense to call 911 to report crazy drivers?

-ERD50

I don't think the California hands-free-only law has made much difference. I doubt the law is enforced, since I see drivers talking on phones all the time.

A nearby city has announced that they will now have zero-tolerance enforcement of this law.

In riding my bike along the side of the road (and freeway), I'm especially vulnerable to distracted drivers.

There is a hands free law in this state and NO one complies. At least 33% of the people driving are on a hand held phone because I can see it. I assume some are using hands free. So like what % of the people driving are actually paying attention to driving? :mad:

Sometimes I love NJ - drivers here seem to be a little less stupid than other areas of the country (more people (than not) keep to left to pass, often (not all) turn signals are used, and traffic flows well (more often than not) on most roads). Flipping the bird to someone or honking is just a part of the day. I get a sick sense of enjoyment after a bad day honking (beeep beeeeeeeeep beep beep bbbbeeeeeeeepppppp!) and bird flipping at the "zoomers" - those who cut into the middle lane a few cars back from the exit to NB 287 heading towards I-80 on Rt. 24. The left lane where I need to be is for SB 287, and those jerks zoom up past the waiting cars in the center lane...If I were trying to go North, I'd be pissed as heck at them too! I'll honk and bird flip a stupid cell talker as well...usually some chick talking about blowing hubby's $$$ in an expensive car with the NJ Housewives look! Hope I'm not supposed to be ashamed...

It would be a great idea for someone to come up with about 20 hand signals for everyone to learn. Things like

Thanks
Sorry
Your lights are on
Your tire is going flat
You go first
Hang up the phone
There is something on your roof
Your blinker is on
My mistake
etc.

Let's see what hand signals we currently have:

Hi
**** you.

Isn't there a law where you can't drive holding a cell phone to your ear? I keep a cell phone for emergencies, if someone calls me when I am driving, I wait until I get to my destination or a parking lot to call them back.

Yes, but in some locales you can't be nailed for it unless you are pulled over for another traffic infraction at the same time! Talk about a pointless law.

I once saw a guy holding not one but two cell phones as he was waiting to make a left turn at a difficult intersection.

Could he be given two tickets or be flipped not one but two middle fingers then?

ICould he be given two tickets or be flipped not one but two middle fingers then?

Be careful, you might get a ticket for inattentive driving if you take both hands off the steering wheel simultaneously...:LOL:

I just ordered this hands-free device for my cell phone...DOT approved....:whistle:

Attachments

• hands_free_cell_phone.jpg
    hands_free_cell_phone.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 3
This is encouraging (nearby city):

Eureka Police Department To Hold ‘Zero Tolerance’ Distracted Driving Enforcement Operation

04/04/11 13:49
(Eureka, CA) – As part of this month’s Distracted Driving Awareness Month campaign, [Eureka PD} will be offering “zero tolerance” to those texting or operating hand-held cell phones on April 4th and April 5th }. Drivers who break the law and place themselves and others in danger will be cited. The current minimum ticket cost is $159, with subsequent tickets costing at least $279.

Distracted driving is a serious traffic safety concern that puts everyone on the road at risk. As a result, law enforcement across the state, including Eureka PD are increasingly cracking down on cell phone use and texting. This April will see over 225 local agencies plus the 103 CHP Area Commands conducting zero tolerance enforcements.

Eureka PD is deploying traffic officers above and beyond on the following dates:

April 4th from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM
April 5th from 8:00 AM to 7:00PM

“We take the issue of distracted driving very seriously.” said Eureka PD Chief Garr Nielsen. “Cell phone use and texting while driving is such a serious concern that we are putting officers on the road to enforce zero tolerance. Is that text message or cell phone call really worth $159?”

Drivers who use hand-held devices are four times as likely to get into crashes serious enough to injure themselves. Younger, inexperienced drivers under 20 years old have the highest proportion of distraction-related fatal crashes. In addition, studies show that texting while driving can delay a driver’s reaction time just as severely as having a blood alcohol content of a legally drunk driver.

Studies show that there is no difference in the risks between hands-free and hand-held cell phone conversations, both of which can result in “inattention blindness” which occurs when the brain isn’t seeing what is clearly visible because the drivers’ focus is on the phone conversation and not on the road.

Q: How is a phone conversation any different than talking to a passenger?
A: Cell phone and passenger conversations are very different in their level of distraction and effect on drivers. People engaged in cell phone conversations experience inattention blindness – that’s when your brain can’t see what’s right in front of you because you’re too busy with your call. Passengers are sharing your immediate experience and so normally react to what is happening. Scientific studies have compared the risk of cell phone conversations to passenger conversations and determined that cell phone conversations pose a much higher risk.​

Isn't there a law where you can't drive holding a cell phone to your ear? I keep a cell phone for emergencies, if someone calls me when I am driving, I wait until I get to my destination or a parking lot to call them back.

In Spain there is that law. You can easily be fined with aprox 400 $ and 4 points taken off your 12 point driving license. Here in Spain it´s a very serious traffic law violation.

In Spain there is that law. You can easily be fined with aprox 400 $ and 4 points taken off your 12 point driving license. Here in Spain it´s a very serious traffic law violation.

But do they enforce it?

Maybe I'm just becoming an old curmudgeon, but it seems to me traffic laws are not enforced much anymore. So people routinely break the law, and it's become dangerous to not go along with the flow of traffic (I'm always afraid of getting rear-ended when I actually stop for a right-on-red for example).

It creates an attitude that laws don't mean anything, and I think that is a big problem. If the law is silly, get it off the books (and no, we don't need to side track this into the failed 'war on drugs').

-ERD50

But do they enforce it?

That´s another matter. Not enough traffic police manpower. But bear in mind that If you lose your 12 points.....there goes your driving license. And here we are very mindful of losing points. This issue of the fear of losing points has reduced in more than 25% car accidents.

Not long ago I'm at a red light in the left lane of a double left turn intersection. Lanes are marked with the white dashed lines. Lady to the right of me is on the cell phone. Light turns green and we both move out. She comes hard left into my lane squeezing me over to the point I have to stop to keep from hitting the island. I blow the horn, she looks over at me being squeezed out. I throw up my hands like "WTF" and she gives me the "thumbs up" signal. Still on the phone but signaled me that everything was OK. Don't understand some drivers. She was oblivious to what was going on.

That´s another matter. Not enough traffic police manpower. But bear in mind that If you lose your 12 points.....there goes your driving license. And here we are very mindful of losing points. This issue of the fear of losing points has reduced in more than 25% car accidents.

Well, if they fear getting caught that may be good enough. I don't sense much fear around here. Maybe it is just my perception, I dunno.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom