Is There A Hand Signal For "Just Hang Up The Phone And Drive?"

I wish there were one. It is epidemic on my commute.

No hand signal, just a finger signal.

They seem to be everywhere. 5 MPH below the flow of traffic, wandering to and fro in their lane oblivious to the world . . .

The taking an imaginary handpiece from your cheek area that you seemed to be listening to and holding with your right hand and simulating slamming down that reciever would work.... for those old enough to remember a land line telephone..

The taking an imaginary handpiece from your cheek area that you seemed to be listening to and holding with your right hand and simulating slamming down that reciever would work.... for those old enough to remember a land line telephone..

I have tried this but the other driver is never looking at me because s/he is too engrossed with their lousy phone call to be paying attention to anyone or anything else. :mad:

Yesterday, at a Costco gas station like all others where the traffic is one-way on all lanes through the pumps, a guy drove his car in the wrong direction, squeezing in between lanes of cars waiting to fill up. The idiot was talking on his phone, and I did not think he ever realized or noticed that all other cars were pointing in the opposite direction of his travel.

There have always been too many idiots on the road, and now they even talk on their phones!

If the yakkety driver is driving behind me, then I get upset because his divided attention represents a hazard for me (i.e. I may get rear-ended).

I recall some years ago I had some woman in an SUV yakking on her cell phone while driving behind me. This was going on for a few miles, as I could see her every time I checked my rear-view mirror. At some traffic lights, she was racing up behind me as opposed to gradually slowing down at the red light.

At a traffic light I knew had a long red light for us, she was still yakking on her cell phone. I pondered for a minute as to whether I should get out of my car and knock on her window and yell at her to "Hang up the damn phone and pay more attention to driving!" But then I imagined her hanging up and dialing 911 and reading my license plate to the cops and getting a visit from them later. Still, I am somewhat bothered that I did not at least try to get her to hang up the damn phone.

My luck, she made a turn at the intersection with the red light we were waiting at (I went straight) and that was it. (Of course, she had not put on her turn signal.)

Isn't there a law where you can't drive holding a cell phone to your ear? I keep a cell phone for emergencies, if someone calls me when I am driving, I wait until I get to my destination or a parking lot to call them back.

At least when they're talking on the cell they are paying some degree of attention to the road. When they're texting, that involves looking down, typing with both thumbs, and being oblivious to the world.

A few years ago a lady was stopped on the state highway in the inside lane to turn left (no turn lane). Yes, her blinker was on.... a 17 year old girl came flying up behind her in the same lane, never braked, and slammed into the lady at 70mph. The lady who was trying to turn left saw her and couldn't get out of her way - oncoming traffic prohibited her from making the left turn, there were cars in the right lane coming up beside her... .all she could do was punch the gas when she realized what was happening and it was too little too late. The lady was seriously hurt. The teenager said she was texting and didn't see the car. I believe she mentioned at least she was driving the speed limit.

You know ! the thing you hit by accident sometimes when trying to turn the wipers on.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

and people wonder why I have no interest in driving a subcompact fuel miser...

:cell::cell:Move to somewhere that doesn't have cellular coverage.:cell:

If you get close enough, you could try something like this:

http://www.phonejammer.com/home.php?cat=249

Also, it works well in the grocery store when you get behind somebody at the checkout line who doesn’t pay attention...

DW/me have been in some (high priced) restaurants that had a commercial version, and worked well. There are a range of products (portable/mobile) and fixed/mobile in mounting, depending on the need.

Silence is golden...

If you get close enough, you could try something like this:

http://www.phonejammer.com/home.php?cat=249

Also, it works well in the grocery store when you get behind somebody at the checkout line who doesn’t pay attention...

DW/me have been in some (high priced) restaurants that had a commercial version, and worked well. There are a range of products (portable/mobile) and fixed/mobile in mounting, depending on the need.

Silence is golden...

DOH!

* Not available to USA due to FCC restrictions

I've seen something available in the US, somewhere though.

Edit: They'll ship 'em from Brasil.

Here's a LINK to a basic explanation on cell phone jamming laws.

-CC

DOH!

-CC
Don't tell anybody that we travel outside the US quite often (yeah, and get Cuban cigars :whistle: )...

BTW, we were at a hotel in Century City, next to the Fox Studios/broadcasting facility. They had the cell phone blocker (I asked, since I could not get a signal).

You can get the blockers; you just have to have a source...

I've always thought that a set of hand signs for the car ~ ya know ~ on
sticks like the old (I mean really OLD) fans they use to hand out at church...
could even get advertisers to display ads on the other side...

Whatdayathink? Should I go on that TV show where they invest their $$$
for the next great idea??

Hey....you....stop laughing.....

My brother (now deceased) was always trying to come up with the next great
idea....one of my favs was to advertise on condoms...he even had it figured out
that the ad portion should glow in the dark while the rest of it should just be
"regular"...

I remember laughing soooo hard....the subject of varying size ads :blush:
actually came up too....

....and now....

I'm pretty sure that I actually read somewhere that the condom manufacturers
had recently come up with the same idea....

DB was just 20 years too soon....:greetings10:

Yesterday, at a Costco gas station like all others where the traffic is one-way on all lanes through the pumps, a guy drove his car in the wrong direction, squeezing in between lanes of cars waiting to fill up. The idiot was talking on his phone, and I did not think he ever realized or noticed that all other cars were pointing in the opposite direction of his travel.

There have always been too many idiots on the road, and now they even talk on their phones!

I will give the idiot a pass on this one.... our Ford Explorer has the gas intake on the "other" side... always makes it look like we are going against the rest of the world... and when I forget (not may main car), I have to drive around to get it right...

If I felt so angry that I needed to do something I'd use the middle finger on my right hand.
I would never do something like this. It makes you feel angry which is not good for you, and it could get you shot. Once I was with my late brother in an open red Miata. He gave the finger to a car full of the kind of people that anyone should know not to give the finger too. I think they did not notice, as nothing happened, but it was foolish and the last time I rode with him.

All our lives we are navigating in minefields of impaired, stupid, unprepared or otherwise unfit participants. Have to just be careful and keep our eyes on the goal, which is that we survive and prosper.

Ha

DOH!

Pity. How would they feel about a tasty 10 stage Marx generator?

empbg20m.jpg

This will put some emphasis in "Hang up and drive!", or at least get the offender off the road when his engine conks out. :D

and people wonder why I have no interest in driving a subcompact fuel miser...

That is why GM makes the 7000 lb Suburban. And I keep mine. Cheap ongoing insurance paid for in 12MPG dues.

Edit add: Also keep in the rear 2 5/8" tow hitch ball. Look real funny in the absent minded driver's radiator.

Last edited:
Edit add: Also keep in the rear 2 5/8" tow hitch ball. Look real funny in the absent minded driver's radiator.

Oddly enough, that is exactly what happened to the idiot in the TrasCamaro who rear-ended dad's '83 suburban back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom