Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Is this a great house or what?
Old 08-02-2022, 07:34 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is this a great house or what?

I like looking at houses for sale. Much cheaper than actually buying them and doing the work that they need. Now and again something just tickles me - like this place. The location is wrong for the roof and materials (desert wouldn't foster the mold inside), the execution could have been slicker, there are some deadly design choices (Good Morning!! ER trip please), but what a cool place! Keep going back to it and imagining how to make it better and am filled with admiration for the person who actually designed and built it.

What do you think? Have any houses that strike a chord in you that you can share?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...0581560_zpid/?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2022, 07:40 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Channeling Frank Lloyd Wright. Not my taste... Also, flat roofs and snow load?
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:42 AM   #3

Neat property, and great price!

One thing that always floors me - no matter the price point, it seems every listing has a photo of an overstuffed cluttered closet (slide 21). No one ever says... "Eh lets not show every old shoe and 400 t shirts, that's not a selling point!"
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:53 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Novel, interesting - but way out of date, would have to be gutted kitchens and baths at least.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:57 AM   #5

Cool house! I would Airbnb there but probably not buy. Very isolated. Seems more of an experience than a day-to-day living type place.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:57 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I love it! I like windows and glass makes me feel the outdoors. We have a lot of large windows and sliders and be nice if we had more celling to floor glass. The bad part in the north it isn't very economical.

You always hear outdated. I'm sure most are after a few years old, but one doesn't have to have to most current up to date to be beautiful and an enjoyable home. IMO
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:25 AM   #7

My sister and I share links when we come across an "interesting" house. She sent me this one a few weeks ago: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...25010087_zpid/

It looks like they've removed the best photos where the living room had red walls and gilded rococo furniture to go with that red and gold carpeting. It was eye-popping. The balconies overlooking the living room had green walls and were filled with chairs and sofas facing the glass -- as if they were spectators in the second deck of a stadium.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:28 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Novel, interesting - but way out of date, would have to be gutted kitchens and baths at least.
What? You don't care for the death pit shower space right behind the user of the bathroom sink? The extremely textured countertops in the kitchen?

Think I'd be slow to gut those spaces though - wouldn't want the renovation to clash with the overall Tiki-alien spacecraft theme.

How about the toe catching thresholds of the brick floors? Were they an owner's great idea after construction was completed and just laid on top of the original finish floor?
Old 08-02-2022, 08:34 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
My sister and I share links when we come across an "interesting" house. She sent me this one a few weeks ago: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...25010087_zpid/

It looks like they've removed the best photos where the living room had red walls and gilded rococo furniture to go with that red and gold carpeting. It was eye-popping. The balconies overlooking the living room had green walls and were filled with chairs and sofas facing the glass -- as if they were spectators in the second deck of a stadium.
Went looking for it without immediate success, but did find this:

Conditional Use Permit for Existing Residence at 4600 Nelson ...http://fremont.gov › DocumentViewPDF
enlarged in order to make it suitable to house a small music institute with a small concert hall, which will bring pride and honor to the City of Fremont.

You nailed it - maybe there were spectators - at a small concert hall!
Old 08-02-2022, 08:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I like looking at houses for sale. Much cheaper than actually buying them and doing the work that they need. Now and again something just tickles me - like this place. The location is wrong for the roof and materials (desert wouldn't foster the mold inside), the execution could have been slicker, there are some deadly design choices (Good Morning!! ER trip please), but what a cool place! Keep going back to it and imagining how to make it better and am filled with admiration for the person who actually designed and built it.

What do you think? Have any houses that strike a chord in you that you can share?

Good location if you like to golf. This course is about a mile away. https://erinhills.com/
Old 08-02-2022, 08:39 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Well, it's interesting. Can't really say if I like it or not.

It absolutely reminds me of some aspects of a house my Aunt had built. She said the architect was a "student of Frank Lloyd Wright", but I never knew if she meant that literally, as he actually worked directly with FLW, or that he was a "student' of the style.

Similarities are the floor to ceiling windows, use of cement for outside walls, low profile, flat-ish roofs, clerestory windows, floor to ceiling wood panels (curved and straight), and the real give-away of FLW influence - notice that every room (including bedrooms) has a door to the outside. I think that FLW felt this was important in case of fire?

I'll see if I can find a link to her old house.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:48 AM   #12

One that recently sold near me. Another one of those 1960 FLW sort of designs but on a much larger scale.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...zpid/?mmlb=g,0
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:08 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Well, it's interesting. Can't really say if I like it or not.

It absolutely reminds me of some aspects of a house my Aunt had built. She said the architect was a "student of Frank Lloyd Wright", but I never knew if she meant that literally, as he actually worked directly with FLW, or that he was a "student' of the style.

Similarities are the floor to ceiling windows, use of cement for outside walls, low profile, flat-ish roofs, clerestory windows, floor to ceiling wood panels (curved and straight), and the real give-away of FLW influence - notice that every room (including bedrooms) has a door to the outside. I think that FLW felt this was important in case of fire?

I'll see if I can find a link to her old house.

-ERD50
FLW did a design that worked with the arc of the sun through the year so as to maximise solar gain - don't remember the name of the style. Sort of like this:

https://www.housedigest.com/876067/a...g-for-a-steal/

I can imagine a curved home in the desert with an earth bermed outside curve toward the sun's path and the glass walled inside curve facing the north.

Didn't know exterior doors in all rooms was a FLW give away. My gal managed to get exterior doors into all rooms but the bathrooms at this house - which is no kind of FLW design! She just likes the outside.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:45 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
FLW did a design that worked with the arc of the sun through the year so as to maximise solar gain - don't remember the name of the style. Sort of like this:

https://www.housedigest.com/876067/a...g-for-a-steal/

I can imagine a curved home in the desert with an earth bermed outside curve toward the sun's path and the glass walled inside curve facing the north.

Didn't know exterior doors in all rooms was a FLW give away. My gal managed to get exterior doors into all rooms but the bathrooms at this house - which is no kind of FLW design! She just like the outside.
Apparently, my Aunt's house hasn't sold in a long time (she sold it in the late 70's), I couldn't find any real info on it at the real estate sites, and it's hidden from the street and barely visible in the satellite views.

I think I have the old sales brochure for it, I came across it in the move. I should dig it up and scan it and share with my family.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:56 AM   #15

When you ask for Frank Lloyd Wright but you get Michael Brady

It's kinda cool, I'll give it that much. I'd need something bigger if I was going to live in it year round though. And is that slatted thing what they're trying to pass off as a "garage"? Sorry, I've gotten kinda spoiled by my 9 car garage...even if I'm learning it does sort of enable hoarder tendencies.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:33 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I agree with the OP. Good design, but needs better execution and material.

If inspected more closely in person, may find it needs better craftmanship.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:41 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Oh, I would love that place! DW not so much...actually not at all.
Thanks for the link.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:56 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Interesting layout, but is that Mold on the ceiling beams? Ugh.
Too much individualization in the house for my taste, and way too many trip possibilities!
Old 08-02-2022, 11:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
One that recently sold near me. Another one of those 1960 FLW sort of designs but on a much larger scale.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...zpid/?mmlb=g,0
Like the pool, land and the view.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:47 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Like the design. Looks like mold on the ceiling arches. Or is that just an optical illusion?
If it was closer would consider having a look see.