Is this a quality rifle? Or just a gimmick?

I have not shot that particular rifle but own a Henry. Also a few friends have Henrys. Everyone to a person loves them.

American made and great attention to detail. You will love it.

P.S. The engraving on that gun is beautiful.

Last edited:
Henry, old name lots of history to their rifles. The specs look good, nice walnut stock not fancy but good quality. Chambered in a 44 same caliber, different cartridge than in 1860 by design. Made in the US.

Depending on what you plan on doing it with nice rifle. It's not a bench rifle to shoot at 1000 yards, or bring down an elk.

I understand the attachment from your profession. One thing about special edition firearms is they seldom appreciate, more likely to depreciate. Other than that have fun, most states conservative departments have free safety classes, highly recommended.

I have a Henry 22 caliber rifle and the quality is excellent.

It's both--a high quality rifle and a gimmick.
There's nothing wrong with Henry rifles--on the contrary, they have a great reputation. It's a quality rifle. This series of Henry rifles are known as "Big Boy Lever Action" rifles.
The same rifle without the engraving can be bought for
Here's one chambered in 45 Long Colt. It is new and sells for $675.
Here's one chambered in 44 Mag (like the one in the OP), but without the engraving, new, for $669.

If the idea of the engraved model appeals to you, you might contact a Henry dealer and see what the actual price is (as compared to the MSRP as shown in the ad). It is unlikely to appreciate much.

In my >personal< opinion, if I wanted a memento of the oil biz, I'd think something related to the biz itself (e.g. an old drill bit of some type no longer used, mounted and in a nice display box, or some of the tools of the trade you used when you started) would be pretty cool. My dad was a mechanical engineer, the drafting tools, slide rules, pipe templates, early model TI engineering calculator, and other things he used every day and which he left me mean more to me than memento he could have purchased.

Last edited:
Henry makes very good lever actions and are frequently used in Cowboy Action competitions. If the engraving is something you like and would enjoy hanging on the wall, go for it. But as others said, I would not expect any great appreciation due to this tribute engraving.

My wife likes my Henry .22 rifle. (does that help?)

Don't own one but my FIL does. Beautiful finish. Fine action. His had a problem with the barrel and accuracy suffered. Henry replaced it for free.

I don't know if that is really unusual with American firearms. Remington has stood by some of the rifles I bought as a young man when there was an issue. Really makes you want to buy real American made products from long standing companies that still care about their products and customers.

Ha, gotta love that they realize how much "new money" is coming from oil, and their angle to capture some of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I think DW is concerned about safety as we have DS#1 on the way. I figured I could get a locking display cabinet and mount it high enough up on the wall to keep hands off it.

But it's also a lot of money that I don't need to spend. I may see if I still want it when my birthday rolls around.

It's both--a high quality rifle and a gimmick.
+1, exactly right.

If the idea of the engraved model appeals to you, you might contact a Henry dealer and see what the actual price is (as compared to the MSRP as shown in the ad).

Looking at a firearms site, this seems to be selling for around $1,000 to $1,100 right now.

Personally, I'm not a fan of these limited edition engraved firearms. Buyers tend to think of them as investments, but they never go up much. If you ever fire it, even once (and experts can tell), you immediately knock 10-20% off its value.

So why would you want something that can't be used as intended? If there is a strong sentimental reason, that's fine, but be sure to recognize that.

I wouldn't buy it expecting appreciation. More as an objet d'art.

Are there better shotguns/rifles that look cool?

Well that's a matter of taste. In particular I think Purdy shotguns are nice. Not really LBYM. Here's a nice Bloomberg article about them.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a2yaN_wmk4X0

Re: DW safety concerns. Take her with you to safety class. Any class today will discuss safe storage options. You both need to hear and understand how to properly store any firearm. You need to do that before you decide to buy!

Last edited:

Hundreds of them.
But it depends on what you want them for.
As an example, I bought a new shotgun earlier this year for over $3K. I'm extremely happy with it, but that is not even close to high end. Look at the Benelli, Beretta, and Browning websites for an idea of what a really classy shotgun is like.

Here is just a random example, with a MSRP of over $62K:
SO Sparviere

I wouldn't buy it expecting appreciation. More as an objet d'art.

Blaser Rifles of San Antonio, TX makes excellent hunting rifles and their custom engraving is top notch, but you won't even get a non-engraved one for the price of that Henry. And the Blaser will be something that will appreciate in value.

Hmm, I am getting upsold by the thousands of dollars on a FIRE message board, what is wrong with this picture? :D

Hey, those oil dollars don't go as far as they used to. What's a good gun to get for ~$1,000?

Last edited:
What are you going to do with it (hunt, target shoot, home protection, or just to display) and does it have to be a long gun?

If its just for a mantel piece decoration, maybe one of these:1873 Replica Rifle Engraved Brass Trim Collectible

Nah, I want something functional, even if I rarely use it. Maybe I'll get one of Henry's cheaper non-engraved 22's as a start.

Is 22 ammo still in short supply?

Last edited:
Is 22 ammo still in short supply?

Yes it is. Best way I know to get some is to camp out at WalMart on the day it comes in. My local store gets it in Friday night and sells it starting at 7am Saturday morning. If you are not in line by 6am, you aren't going to get any that day.

Look at the Henry 17 HMR. I am thinking about getting that for plinking. At least around here that round is easier to come by and some argue it has better performance than the .22 LR.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom