Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2022, 07:36 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
NEVER give out your personal info like that. You are totally setting yourself up to be scammed. Once someone has your phone number it is far easier for them to hack into your accounts. This is a common marketplace scam.
That's where a burner phone is useful.
I have a smartphone that I pay $30/year and which I use for various purposes including people who insist on wanting to text.
I normally stick to email, but if pressed, I use the burner phone.
Any calls or texts to that phone is generally ignored.

retire-early is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2022, 07:37 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire-early View Post
Someone emailed and the email "name" shows up as craigslist reply 267e in my webmail.
Normal for a Craigslist reply.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:41 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by old medic View Post
Quote:
Someone emailed and the email "name" shows up as craigslist reply 267e in my webmail.

Normal for a Craigslist reply.
Here's what Craigslist says about their email-relay
https://www.craigslist.org/about/help/email-relay

PLEASE NOTE: The “real name” field (e.g. Jane Doe) in your email program is passed through to the recipient. Any contact information in the body of your message will pass through unaltered.

It would appear, the person deliberately choose the obscure craigslist reply 267e as their "real name" in their email program.
Or is there another way to do this?
Old 01-06-2022, 07:41 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
Get annoyed when you get "Is X still available?" That's annoying and all too common (I always put in my ads that I will delete when sold).
I always thought it was polite to first ask if it's still available. If not, it ends there, no back-and-forth, no introductions.

It's common that the seller has already received contacts from other interested people, but the sale hasn't gone through yet. There's that period of uncertainty during which the seller can say "Some guy called to say he wanted it, but if he doesn't follow through you're next on the list."
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:46 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexman View Post
As hard as they are trying to stay anonymous, be careful!
Thanks.
That was my first reaction.

The guy just gave wrong vibes.

I have encountered rude before, but usually on subsequent communication, they "loosen up". This person didn't.

Old 01-06-2022, 08:22 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhoomajor View Post

If it's a big item (like TV or Fridge) that needs to be disposed of - I just keep it outside the house, near curb. In our area (AZ) - item is usually gone within a day.

Honestly, this is basically the best option for all free things, including the OP cables. Simply take a picture of the stuff by the curb, list the address, and a brief description, and put something like "Post will be deleted when gone. No emails will be responded too."

If people are going to freeload, feel free to make them work a little for it (i.e. make them drive to check it out).
natetheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:47 AM   #47

You do have control over who you deal with. If "knowing" the person in some manner is important to you, just ask before you give out your Name & address. If they don't give it to you, just end it there. Simple as that.

I never blindly give out my address in the listings I post. I do give the nearest major intersection, both in text and on the Craigslist map. I then let the subsequent communications share our personal details.

Names and addresses are public info in today's web-society just as they were in days of old in the white pages of the telephone book. I just googled my son's last name and the city he lives in, that's all I entered. His full name, address and telephone number came up in the searches along with pictures and his grandparent's obits (different last name) from 2021 and 2011. If I was creeped out about that, I would never be able to sleep. It is what it is.

Again, it is up to you to get whatever info you desire from a prospective buyer before you give out your personal info. Do not expect some website or eMail to do it for you if having it is important to you.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:57 AM   #48

I posted a few items on my town's Freecycle, and when I get a response I just leave it in my driveway for them to pick up. I've also sold a few items, for relatively small amounts. For sales, we meet in parking lot of my local police station.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:12 AM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I might be wrong on this but doesn’t Craigslist automatically use fake email addresses to insure privacy? Ive sold stuff there and always got replies (sent via Craigslist) with an obviously made up email address. At some point you can say " email me at xxxx@gmail.com " but for a quick low price transaction why bother?
Old 01-06-2022, 10:50 AM   #50

Craigslist uses their own, secure email. Both users do not have visibility to the other's real email. Craigslist acts as an intermediary. Names on each account are part of that "from" address. See the attached screen grab from one such buyer to me last November. the circled area was the buyers Craigslist registered name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg craigslist.jpg (19.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-06-2022, 12:40 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I posted for free in Craigslist two audio cables and one video cable with the RCA connectors.

To top it off, the email itself contained Nice cables can I pick them up tomorrow afternoon
So I responded, Hi, Tomorrow about what time? {my first name}.
He/she responds 3:30 Is that ok

I am annoyed.
Should I be?
For items under $20 and free items-we leave items on the porch-and ask them to leave cash under that mat. We have never had someone short us. Most people are honest. And its gets rid of things quickly. I never share my name..LOL
Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:55 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
To be fair, retire-early did not say that was the problem. That was simply my speculation. On a board where it is understood all are using a pseudonym, no offense is intended nor should be implied by adhering to that convention. It would, however, be somewhat discourteous if I sent a personal message to you signed with my real name and you did not respond in kind.

I have noticed similar curt behavior online. Usually, it appears among young people who have "grown up on line" and do not know the social niceties that the majority of us on this board were taught when we were young. Such as when someone tells you their name, it is polite to respond in kind. Or if someone extends a hand, it is polite to shake it, even if you are never going to see that person again. I think it is also courteous to write in complete, properly spelled and grammatically correct sentences, although that also appears to have fallen by the wayside in modern internet communication. Courtesy is the oil that lubricates our social interactions and makes communal life better.

What you call “curt behavior online” is not seen as rude by many, me included. Even when I was using email for w*rk, many replies would be a short “got it” to indicate the email was read. IMO there is no need to compose an email as if we are writing a letter, unless of course it is a more formal request for action or information.

DH drives me nuts trying to write an email. He will be at the computer working on a response for 20 minutes, then want me to proofread. All for something that I would have answered as “thanks, see you then”.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:21 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboolman View Post

Ha - I made a fancy sign that said " FREE" for the furniture, appliances, electronics and stuff that we sat on the Curb for folks.
The Peckerheads eventually took my sign !
I was proud of that sign... ha !
Well, the sign did say FREE on it, right?
Old 01-06-2022, 01:36 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
Craigslist uses their own, secure email. Both users do not have visibility to the other's real email. Craigslist acts as an intermediary. Names on each account are part of that "from" address. See the attached screen grab from one such buyer to me last November. the circled area was the buyers Craigslist registered name.
But you don’t have to be registered on craigslist to reply to an ad. And craigslist has definitely changed how their anonymizing feature works lately. The last few things I’ve given away it has completely anonymized the email.

Personally, I always sign my name and phone number, mainly because it’s just easier for me to text and because I prefer to deal with people who can write a complete sentence and be socially appropriate. But my experience has been that most people on craigslist interact as the OP described.

I don’t think it’s creepy, but if you do, why engage? Especially for a free item, I would just ignore until someone I was comfortable interacting with responded.

Fwiw, my experience has been that seniors and 20 somethings are the worst offenders.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:40 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

People on Craigslist were too flaky and now I use Nextdoor or Facebook marketplace.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:53 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

For free stuff I use either Buy Nothing or Freecycle where people have to use their real names. To sell stuff I like Next-door best, people use their real names and are somewhat vetted. If I have to sell or buy something on Craigslist I use the anonymous Craigslist email and never give my name or address, too many flakes on CL. If I sell something on CL I always meet at the local police station to complete the deal, they have a parking area designated for this. If the buyer objects to the police station then I know they are up to no good.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:17 PM   #57

I think you are overthinking this. Perhaps it's because you're not familiar with the way that Craigslist generates anonymous email addresses. I doubt that the fact that the other person didn't volunteer his/her name was intended as a slight. It's a lot of effort to go to, to give away some cables. I put things like that on the front wall of our house, and they're usually gone the same day. The front wall of our house is well known in the neighborhood for free stuff. A few months ago, I was working on my van. I stopped to talk to a neighbor for a few minutes, and put my tools on the wall for a few minutes. I didn't even turn my back but, as I was talking to the neighbor, a feller walked past us. I greeted him. Shortly after, I noticed that my tools were gone. Had to chase the guy down the street to get my stuff back! He thought they were on the free pile, and was very apologetic!

Anyway, don't go to too much trouble to give away free stuff - certainly not if it's going to stress you out like this. If you're on FB, many neighborhoods have a "Buy Nothing" group. Mine has worked well for me.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:24 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I've sold 5 cars and 2 motorcycles and bought 1 boat on Craigslist. Always met at my or his house

No problems.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:41 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
But you don’t have to be registered on craigslist to reply to an ad. And craigslist has definitely changed how their anonymizing feature works lately. The last few things I’ve given away it has completely anonymized the email.

Personally, I always sign my name and phone number, mainly because it’s just easier for me to text and because I prefer to deal with people who can write a complete sentence and be socially appropriate. But my experience has been that most people on craigslist interact as the OP described.

I don’t think it’s creepy, but if you do, why engage? Especially for a free item, I would just ignore until someone I was comfortable interacting with responded.

Fwiw, my experience has been that seniors and 20 somethings are the worst offenders.
I guess at some level, I knew that. Thanks for bringing this up.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:56 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
If I sell something on CL I always meet at the local police station to complete the deal, they have a parking area designated for this. If the buyer objects to the police station then I know they are up to no good.

+1

DW and I way back sold a few things to local folks on Craiglist. Our exchange address was the parking lot of the local police station, so no worries. the local police were happy to have folks use their lot for these types of sales.