Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2022, 05:10 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
NEVER give out your personal info like that. You are totally setting yourself up to be scammed. Once someone has your phone number it is far easier for them to hack into your accounts. This is a common marketplace scam.
Now who is being paranoid. I do use a Google Voice number, but I suppose the crooks can track that down, too.

Reminds me of the people who hide their license plates in photos on Facebook. Don't they know the license plate is in full view everywhere they drive? And that we know their name?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2022, 06:49 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire-early View Post
I posted for free in Craigslist two audio cables and one video cable with the RCA connectors.

Someone emailed and the email "name" shows up as craigslist reply 267e in my webmail.

To top it off, the email itself contained Nice cables can I pick them up tomorrow afternoon
So I responded, Hi, Tomorrow about what time? {my first name}.
He/she responds 3:30 Is that ok

I am annoyed.
Should I be?
why do you think you should be?
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:03 PM   #63

I bought some car floor mats for cash from a guy who to the best of my knowledge his name was,

Ilikeburritos.

No problem.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:09 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

That would make him trust worthy in my book!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:48 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post

Get annoyed when you get "Is X still available?" That's annoying and all too common (I always put in my ads that I will delete when sold).

My view is 180 degrees from that. I ALWAYS inquire if X is still available and consider it polite when it is asked of me. Many, many times I have inquired and the item is gone or if a sale is pending I know to keep watching. A lot of people are not diligent about taking an item down or they just get busy and forget. I’m not gonna commit to deleting an item the very second it is disposed of ( and it may be offered on multiple sites).

I had a large item advertised on Nextdoor and someone made a lowered offer which I accepted but I insisted they see the item. Their vehicle was too small so they asked if I could deliver to their storage unit 30 minutes away. I said sure but I wanted $25 non refundable delivery fee paid in advance so they could decline the purchase but I would keep the delivery fee. They accused me of being a scammer! Talk about rude!!
Old 01-07-2022, 06:11 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
........... Their vehicle was too small so they asked if I could deliver to their storage unit 30 minutes away. ......
When I was moving I gave away a lot of furniture - free. A number of people wanted me to either load it into their tiny cars or deliver it. Being the monster I am, I refused.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:19 PM   #67

Quote:
Their vehicle was too small so they asked if I could deliver to their storage unit 30 minutes away.
I've had people ask me to deliver a low cost item to them some distance away. I've always declined as the time and gas wasn't worth it. Maybe if I was selling something expensive, I'd consider it, but not for $10 or $20.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 03:57 AM   #68

Quote:
My view is 180 degrees from that. I ALWAYS inquire if X is still available and consider it polite when it is asked of me. Many, many times I have inquired and the item is gone or if a sale is pending I know to keep watching. A lot of people are not diligent about taking an item down or they just get busy and forget. I’m not gonna commit to deleting an item the very second it is disposed of ( and it may be offered on multiple sites).

I had a large item advertised on Nextdoor and someone made a lowered offer which I accepted but I insisted they see the item. Their vehicle was too small so they asked if I could deliver to their storage unit 30 minutes away. I said sure but I wanted $25 non refundable delivery fee paid in advance so they could decline the purchase but I would keep the delivery fee. They accused me of being a scammer! Talk about rude!!

Well you are wrong! I state in my ads that I will pull the ad when not available (usually while the ultimate buyer is still in my driveway). So asking means you didn't read the ad or you are heading into this with the assumption I am either a liar or unreliable. It's a minor irritant but IME, at least 50% of the people that open with "is this still available" never respond when I say "yes, it is when would you like to see it, I am available XXX" People that ask additional questions, or open with a proposed time to see it/pick it up are more reliable.

If I am on the buying end, I'll usually send something like. "Hi, I'm FLSunFIRE, I'm interested in X and would like to see it tomorrow morning if possible." -Or a variation, usually asking approximately where it is located if the location is vague in the ad, or any specifics not mentioned in the ad.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:05 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
When I was moving I gave away a lot of furniture - free. A number of people wanted me to either load it into their tiny cars or deliver it. Being the monster I am, I refused.

I helped deliver quite a few pieces when I was moving (sold, not given away!). If they asked in advance of meeting, I quoted a price that made it worth it to me (I needed to sell the house so wasn't trying to profit off moving but at least wanted gas paid for). If it was something easily damaged I refused or told them up front that I'll help but it is theirs and any damage in transit is at their risk. One benefit of delivering was that those people never haggled and I always priced above my desired price as many (including me) will always try negotiating.

I had several clueless people that were trying to fit too much into their little cars and would I ask them where they were going. If not too far, I helped move the item in my truck. Most were obviously struggling and grateful for the help and often insisted on paying me even if I didn't ask. One asked me if I liked beer.... her husband worked for a distributor and I got hooked up with several pints of a good local beer as a thank you.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:57 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

It’s funny sometimes when people show up with small vehicles but I still recall when I was on the other end. About half the time I’m getting rid of stuff for a relative because “ I know about the internet” so I’m extending a favor. I’ve disassembled items and provided hands on instructions. It’s not unusual for them to glance over at my little pickup truck parked in the driveway and I’ll sometimes offer delivery for a fee. As others have suggested the money is secondary to finding a good home for the no longer needed items but I have only rarely given my items for free except to charity.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:15 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
Well you are wrong! I state in my ads that I will pull the ad when not available (usually while the ultimate buyer is still in my driveway). So asking means you didn't read the ad or you are heading into this with the assumption I am either a liar or unreliable. It's a minor irritant but IME, at least 50% of the people that open with "is this still available" never respond when I say "yes, it is when would you like to see it, I am available XXX" People that ask additional questions, or open with a proposed time to see it/pick it up are more reliable.

If I am on the buying end, I'll usually send something like. "Hi, I'm FLSunFIRE, I'm interested in X and would like to see it tomorrow morning if possible." -Or a variation, usually asking approximately where it is located if the location is vague in the ad, or any specifics not mentioned in the ad.
How is a person inquiring to know that you are so reliable when I would say >50% of the time things are already sold, spoken for or get no response from the poster? Especially if the request is a short (<1 or 2 days) period of time after the initial listing. I do not like the automated click "Is this still available?" built into the Facebook Marketplace. Many times, it is accidentally pressed and before they know it, the request is sent. I know I have accidentally done this too. When I do respond inquiring, I try to make it easy to discern that my inquiry is a real inquiry and not accidental. But not all prospective buyers are like that. As a seller, I take the good with the bad. It is part of the unwritten understanding that when I post, I will get some accidental responses along with some deadbeats. I don't get upset about it.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:20 PM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

If I am using my phone to send messages, I tend to make them short because typing on that little screen is a pain.
But I would suggest arranging to meet at a neutral place like a shopping center or local police station parking lot instead of your house to preserve your privacy.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:40 PM   #73
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've done a a lot of business on craigslist. Yes, the replies are anonymous to keep people from getting and selling your email address for spam. I try to feel them out first because Ive had a lot of spam and odd interactions where people seem like they are fishing for information. For something small, I would plan meet up in a public area near my house. If its big stuff like furniture, I make sure they have transport before giving them my address.

On another note, there are sites like the Buy Nothing Project and Freecycle where you can give things away that are a little less intrusive than craigslist. Honestly, I don't even think it occurs to people to give them your name. Most people prefer a somewhat anonymous transaction anyway.
AnneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:23 PM   #74
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've done several CraigsList sales that were arranged through their anonymous email system, met the buyer at a restaurant in a good part of town reasonably close. Buyer inspects item in the trunk of my car, we go back inside and exchange cash, back outside where buyer takes item and leaves.

I would never invite someone unknown to come to my house for the transaction.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:31 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Craig's List uses anonymous emails for the protection of givers/sellers and receivers/buyers.

I always add my name to a response on CL but then I'm old and do some things out of habit ;-)

Some CL users only want to deal with texts and they specifically ignore email. That's fine - if you don't have or want to take the time to check for email, you lose the opportunity of a taker.
papaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Craigs List
Old 01-12-2022, 01:23 AM   #76
Confused about dryer sheets

Craigs List

I've sold a lot of stuff on Craigs List when we downsized. I hardly ever let someone come to my house unless the object was too big for me to meet them in a safe and public place.

My concern is not letting someone know you address, as you don't really know who or what their intentions are.

Cables, are small, tell them you'll meet them in a well lit public place, like the parking lot of a fast food establishment, or even the parking lot of the local police station.

THINK SAFETY !!!!!
msteveal is offline   Reply With Quote
is this rude ?
Old 01-13-2022, 10:55 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

is this rude ?

“SafeTradeSpots are designated locations at law enforcement offices where buyers and sellers can meet in public under surveillance to complete in-person transactions. There’s no charge for the service”

www.safetradespots.com
Old 01-14-2022, 04:41 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
“SafeTradeSpots are designated locations at law enforcement offices where buyers and sellers can meet in public under surveillance to complete in-person transactions. There’s no charge for the service”

www.safetradespots.com
I usually do my Craigslist deals at the police dept parking lot--they have a space for this. If the other person objects to this I know they are up to no good so I tell them to forget it
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:12 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

They are as afraid of you as you are of them.
RHONDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:19 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Now who is being paranoid. I do use a Google Voice number, but I suppose the crooks can track that down, too.

Reminds me of the people who hide their license plates in photos on Facebook. Don't they know the license plate is in full view everywhere they drive? And that we know their name?
YEAH
They use their thumb to hide the plate number but now I have their finger print!
RHONDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote