is this rude ?

retire-early

Full time employment: Posting here.
is this rude and creepy?

I posted for free in Craigslist two audio cables and one video cable with the RCA connectors.

Someone emailed and the email "name" shows up as craigslist reply 267e in my webmail.

To top it off, the email itself contained Nice cables can I pick them up tomorrow afternoon
So I responded, Hi, Tomorrow about what time? {my first name}.
He/she responds 3:30 Is that ok

I am annoyed.
Should I be?

Last edited:
I think I must be completely missing part of the picture....
You advertised free cables. Someone is interested and wants to pick them up. You agree on time for pickup. What is the problem? Why are you annoyed? I'm totally in the dark...

It's not as gracious as one could be but I wouldn't call it rude.

I remember reading in a Facebook group someone posted they had good tickets to a basketball game but couldn't attend and they would give them to someone who would enjoy the game. Someone replied they might be willing to "take them off their hands" and exactly where were these seats. I thought that was rude.

I think I must be completely missing part of the picture....
You advertised free cables. Someone is interested and wants to pick them up. You agree on time for pickup. What is the problem? Why are you annoyed? I'm totally in the dark...
I would guess because the person did not give a name, which would be the polite thing to do.

I would guess because the person did not give a name, which would be the polite thing to do.

Oh, thanks! Well, that seems a pretty minor offence.... agree with Robbie then: no, not rude:cool:

I have no idea why you are annoyed. Or at what. I also don't understand why you continue to feel slighted from these interactions.

I'm guessing the CL app creates an anonymizing email. The person just wrote and asked a question. They don't know (or care, or if they did know, don't need to care) that the email they send doesn't include P's and Q's and Names (if that's what you're annoyed about...again, not even sure). That you chose to share your name is nice I guess, but to expect them to do the same is odd.

Selling to strangers online and you're expecting...what exactly? It's about an exchange of items for cash, nothing more.

and the email "name" shows up as craigslist reply 267e in my webmail.
OK, that is normal for someone who uses the anonymous email feature built into Craigslist.
Don't let that bother you. hopefully you found a new home for your cables :)

I see nothing rude about that at all.

I also see nothing wrong with asking where the seats were for a basketball game before taking them.

I didn't think the cable pickup request was rude.

Now, if he/she asked if you could drop them off :), then yes, rude.

I posted for free in Craigslist two audio cables and one video cable with the RCA connectors.

Someone emailed and the email "name" shows up as craigslist reply 267e in my webmail.

To top it off, the email itself contained Nice cables can I pick them up tomorrow afternoon
So I responded, Hi, Tomorrow about what time? {my first name}.
He/she responds 3:30 Is that ok

I am annoyed.
Should I be?

But you are an a forum using not your real name. Should we be annoyed?

But I wouldn't be giving you the address of where I live.

It seems no else is concerned about safety. Oh well.
It is bad enough but this crosses the line for me.
It creeped me out.

I think I will stick to Freecycle.

Last edited:
OK, that is normal for someone who uses the anonymous email feature built into Craigslist.
Don't let that bother you. hopefully you found a new home for your cables :)
Can you explain how the anonymouse email feature works, because I certainly want to do that in the future too just like this person and be truly anonymous. What a wonderful thing that is.

Last edited:
To be fair, retire-early did not say that was the problem. That was simply my speculation. On a board where it is understood all are using a pseudonym, no offense is intended nor should be implied by adhering to that convention. It would, however, be somewhat discourteous if I sent a personal message to you signed with my real name and you did not respond in kind.

I have noticed similar curt behavior online. Usually, it appears among young people who have "grown up on line" and do not know the social niceties that the majority of us on this board were taught when we were young. Such as when someone tells you their name, it is polite to respond in kind. Or if someone extends a hand, it is polite to shake it, even if you are never going to see that person again. I think it is also courteous to write in complete, properly spelled and grammatically correct sentences, although that also appears to have fallen by the wayside in modern internet communication. Courtesy is the oil that lubricates our social interactions and makes communal life better.

But I wouldn't be giving you the address of where I live.

It seems no else is concerned about safety. Oh well.
It is bad enough but this crosses the line for me.
It creeped me out.

I think I will stick to Freecycle.

I avoid Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for my safety.

Not worth getting hurt to make a transaction. i either dump off stuff to Goodwill or go the ebay route.

Just my .02 USD:

1. Yes, it's slightly rude. Person who is giving you free cables is giving his name, and You (the taker, aka free-loader is not willing to even have a nickname in the email)

2. I don't do Craigslist, Ebay, or FB kind of things. I would toss the cables (that are no longer needed) in recyclable-garbage because no good deed goes unpunished these days.

If it's a big item (like TV or Fridge) that needs to be disposed of - I just keep it outside the house, near curb. In our area (AZ) - item is usually gone within a day.

Last edited:
I like Gumby's old school approach.

Have never had a problem selling stuff outside my home. Sold a car for north of $6k most recently, and motorcycles in the 4 figures. They paid in cash. For the car the buyer and I sat in the front seat and counted the hundreds. Took about $2k cash and let the guy do a test MC ride while I counted the cash in the driveway, and his friend watched. Both of those sold.

Otoh have gone to other peoples places and bought stuff, also in 4 digits. Don't recall ever going inside if it was some one I did not know. Most people here are OK. The riff raff are not going to show up to buy your stuff with a pocket full of cash anyway.

Have sold inexpensive stuff at the door, as low as $10, just because it was better than throwing it away.

2. I don't do Craigslist, Ebay, or FB kind of things. I would toss the cables (that are no longer needed) in recyclable-garbage because no good deed goes unpunished these days.

With Ebay, you don't have to worry about your safety.
You just have to worry about being scammed if you are the seller. :)

I think for the future, I will just drop these electronic-y things at Best Buy if they will take them.

IMO - rude? sure
should you be annoyed? no

If I got annoyed every time I ran into someone rude, I'd never be happy.

IMO - rude? sure
should you be annoyed? no

If I got annoyed every time I ran into someone rude, I'd never be happy.

I used the wrong word annoyed .

The whole completely anonymous approach creeped me out.

I have given away things in the past on Craigslist and Freecycle.
No one has done it like this.
No name. No email address.
Complete NOTHING.

I have sold a ton of stuff online and I always had the items outside that I was selling so a stranger wasn’t in my house. I have had nothing but good experiences. A few weeks before Xmas my new tv arrived. As my old one still worked I wanted to give it away. Being in a condo I couldn’t just put it outside. I put it on Nextdoor and 15 people wanted it. All but one texted “available?” Or address. I gave it to the person that used full sentences and was nice. She was thrilled to get it and said her kids would have a good Xmas because of it.

Back
Top Bottom