Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Is Windows Defender Enough?
Old 03-23-2019, 07:23 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is Windows Defender Enough?

For my Win machine, I've resorted to just use Windows Defender as my anti-virus, anti-malware and firewall protection.

I used to swear by Malware bytes (MB). But I had a couple of issues with Malware bytes. First, MB was a bit too aggressive, flagging some programs as threats which I do use. Second, and the deal breaker for me is every so often, the free version gets updated to a free trial of the paid version, then comes the nags to buy.

MB is not alone. The nagging (also from Panda, Sophos) to subscribe to a paid version is almost as disruptive as getting a virus .

Thus, I've decided to just stick with Windows Defender as no nags. But still hope I'm not leaving my machine open to threats not flagged .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

i have used Windows Defender for 4 years and it has never detected a single threat

so i assume all the malware is smarter than the anti-virus ( and store NO passwords or sensitive data on the laptop , is any form )

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:08 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz investor View Post
i have used Windows Defender for 4 years and it has never detected a single threat

so i assume all the malware is smarter than the anti-virus ( and store NO passwords or sensitive data on the laptop , is any form )
Can't recall Windows Defender flagging anything either after about a year of use.

Did some searching and according to this article:

Quote:
Defender is a free, basic, real-time security solution that's capable enough for the average user who sticks to mainstream sites, but it's not considered the absolute best option for PC security. Compared to third-party security suites in independent tests, Defender typically performs toward the middle or bottom of the pack. On the other hand, Defender's simplistic approach makes it a nice alternative to these security suites, which come with an increasing number of confusing features and tend to bug you regularly to run a scan, read a weekly security report, consider an upgrade, or go through a security check. Windows Defender, by comparison, needs only to be activated to provide adequate protection for your PC.
https://www.lifewire.com/windows-defender-guide-3506936

Translation ... stay away from naughty sites and Windows Defender should be okay .
Old 03-23-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I use Defender and Malwarebytes. Defender automatically runs a Quick Scan every week or so, while I have to remember to run MB. Once in a while, I run Defender's Full Scan which takes a little longer.

I find MB's default upgrade rather annoying, but you can end it on your own and revert back to the free version so you won't get hit with all the annoying messages.

On my ladyfriend's PC, I do the same thing although her W7 OS uses Defender's predecessor, Microsoft Security Essentials. However, on her PC, the Full Scan takes 4 or 5 hours which is annoying.

MB seems to find more bad stuff than WD/MSE.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:54 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I run Windows 10 but in a virtual machine over MacOS. I don’t know if the VM insulates the underlying OS but Defender runs and updates itself regularly.

No misbehaving software flagged so far under either OS. I’ve tried to make it a point to install as few third-party software packages as possible.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:33 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I use Defender and Malwarebytes. Defender automatically runs a Quick Scan every week or so, while I have to remember to run MB. Once in a while, I run Defender's Full Scan which takes a little longer.

I find MB's default upgrade rather annoying, but you can end it on your own and revert back to the free version so you won't get hit with all the annoying messages.

On my ladyfriend's PC, I do the same thing although her W7 OS uses Defender's predecessor, Microsoft Security Essentials. However, on her PC, the Full Scan takes 4 or 5 hours which is annoying.

MB seems to find more bad stuff than WD/MSE.
How do I revert back with MB?

I've been using the same approach with Defender then occasionally do scans with MB. But then MB on a update changes to the paid trial version and would nag til the trial period ends. So I decided to say "no mas" and uninstalled MB.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
How do I revert back with MB?

I've been using the same approach with Defender then occasionally do scans with MB. But then MB on a update changes to the paid trial version and would nag til the trial period ends. So I decided to say "no mas" and uninstalled MB.
I haven't seen MB with the premium trial version for a while, either on my own PC or my ladyfriend's. I opened up mine which has the free version to see if poking around would trigger my memory as to where I could deactivate the premium trial version.

Try the Setting tab in the left-hand column. Then try the Account Details tab across the top of the window. I think there is a button on the lower right which allows you to end the premium trial version and revert back to the free version. It beats using a sledgehammer to swat a fly!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:49 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I haven't seen MB with the premium trial version for a while, either on my own PC or my ladyfriend's. I opened up mine which has the free version to see if poking around would trigger my memory as to where I could deactivate the premium trial version.

Try the Setting tab in the left-hand column. Then try the Account Details tab across the top of the window. I think there is a button on the lower right which allows you to end the premium trial version and revert back to the free version. It beats using a sledgehammer to swat a fly!
Thanks for the tip!

I'll have to play around a bit with MB and hunt around for a revert option.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:25 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have used Defender/MSE for close to 20 years without a problem. (To my knowledge.) I am pretty diligent about not clicking on BS links and downloading random stuff.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:39 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Never had a problem using Defender.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:12 AM   #11

A lot of internet service providers also provide a free anti-virus software. It's usually been McAfee in my experience. So I just run both the MS and McAfee together.

Check with your provider, you probably have McAfee for free.
Masquernom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:28 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I’m not a system administrator type and relied on those who were at my former place of employment. We’d standardized on Windows 7 at the time.

They recommended Microsoft Security Essentials (precursor to Defender?) and felt that the other suites introduced too much bloat.

Many of us on staff selected and purchased our own hardware that would have versions of antivirus software included. After talking with the IT people I removed the addons and went with their recommendation.

The only problem I ever had on my work systems was, interestingly, on Linux when I discovered my machine had been “rootkitted”. I’m sure it was due to a weak password, which would have been my fault. It took a while to restore everything!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #13

I was having the blue screen of death (BSOD) issues with my Lenovo WIN 10 Home version laptop after a couple of WIN 10 auto upgrades by Microsoft. It would be running along fine and then just pop up the BSOD and reboot. Could not figure it out and no BSOD fix was ever found online that worked. Ended up buying another laptop as I figured I was not going to eliminate it and laptop only had 2GB RAM (not upgradeable) - possible BSOD reason mentioned online. Loaded my new 4GB RAM Win 10 Home OS laptop up with the very few programs I had on the old laptop, and the BSOD started up with the new laptop almost immediately after a Win 10 auto update.

Turns out that BitDefender AV was the culprit - through a process of elimination. Win 10 allows you to substitute for Windows Defender, and it appeared to work fine, but after removing BitDefender I found problem went away on both laptops.

Looking for a new antivirus - came across this article on Win 10 antivirus. Windows Defender was rated in the top five in the article. Decided to give it a go and so far, so good (and no more BSOD issues). Link to article

https://www.techradar.com/best/best-...s-10-antivirus
Old 03-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've only had one virus that actually damaged my physical system in my entire 30 some odd years of computing. I am not a stupid user though. I don't click anything I didn't intend to..well accept for that one time. Recently use Defender and MB. I occasionally do some manual inspection of processes and services running. I find that windows updates taxes my PC to the point I THINK I have a virus, only to hard restart in the middle of a massive or important Win10 update...ARGH! One time I opened up an SSL port without a password so I could quickly VNC tunnel into my PC from my folks. That was a mistake. By the time I got home I witnessed keystrokes and all of a sudden a robo-ad was being created for a honda car on Craigslist. At first thought I wanted to rip my router from the wall to stop the madness, but I waited until they got to the "Phone" field in the craigslist input and captured a screenshot...THEN I pulled the router plug, called the Attorney General and gave him the info. So lesson learned, never leave an SSL Tunnel wide open unsecured, always ask for a password and only whitelist the connecting PCs IP, nobody else from the outside world.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I use Malwarebytes and Avast. I research them every couple years and change the 2nd one but MB is pretty essential.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:02 PM   #16

I'm the primary support person for my family's PCs. I haven't used anything other than Microsoft's security software for more than 5 years and I haven't seen any malware problems. I also notice that I have fewer problems caused by Microsoft's security software than I ever had with other products. If I suspect a problem (rare) I just run a free virus scan or two online to reassure myself.

Microsoft seems to update its malware definitions almost daily, sometimes more than once per day. I find that reassuring. They also often include automatic malicious software removal tools with updates.

As an extra security measure I keep JavaScript disabled by default for the most frequently used browser on my personal PC (where I do most of the financial log-ins). Other family members would be annoyed if I did that to their machines so I don't.

I frequently 'preach' about avoiding especially hazardous websites and about not clicking on any links in unprompted emails. I regularly install the latest updates for Windows and other programs.