Join Early Retirement Today

Issues with REI Mastercard switch to CapitalOne?
Old 08-10-2022, 02:03 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Issues with REI Mastercard switch to CapitalOne?

Any other folks have issues (technological or otherwise) in the switchover of REI Mastercard from US Bank to CapitalOne?

I followed the instructions yesterday to create a new online account at CapitalOne, but didn't work. Site said it couldn't find my personal info (after prompt to enter Last Name, SSN and DOB). So I called the support line. Surprised to find it wasn't specific to REI cardholders, just the general CS number. Was on hold for 15 min, then the CS rep eventually advised me to go to the URL I'd already tried. He then offered to transfer me to tech support, but I had to leave for a dr. appt. By then I'd spent 25 minutes on the phone. At this point I don't want to waste any more time with it.

End of rant
pdxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2022, 02:12 PM   #2

Last I heard from them, the changeover would be "in the coming weeks" so it seems they are rolling it out slowly. You must be on the bleeding edge, so I would just try again in a few days.
Old 08-11-2022, 11:24 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, so much for the promotional note in my last statement that reads "Starting August 8, you can enroll in the new online banking program to conveniently manage your account." No doubt some snafus in the rollout.
Old 08-11-2022, 11:59 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am already a customer with capital one. I searched google for the REI mastercard switch to capital one and followed the link for existing customers and it linked right away. Setup for new customers might be different.
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:21 PM   #5

Looks like they have it fixed now.
Based on this thread, I went to CapitalOne's site and did the transition easily.

I've never had an account with them, but that didn't seem to be a problem.

REImastercard.capitalone.com
Old 08-11-2022, 10:30 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Good to know it worked for you @Braumeister. I tried again just now and still no luck. I am new to CapitalOne as well. Will give it some more time.

Have you received new cards in the mail? I have not. Maybe that's part of the issue.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxgal View Post
Good to know it worked for you @Braumeister. I tried again just now and still no luck. I am new to CapitalOne as well. Will give it some more time.

Have you received new cards in the mail? I have not. Maybe that's part of the issue.
No, I seem to recall them saying that new cards would be sent out in September, and the current cards would keep working until then.

When I entered my info at the transition page, it immediately came up with the last four of my card number, asking if this was the account I wanted. So if that didn't work for you I would guess there is a problem in their system. Did you try logging into REI (the store, not the credit card) to check that your account is correct?
Old 08-12-2022, 07:30 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am a member of REI but I don't have their credit card so I don't have the problem mentioned. I didn't see a reason to have another credit card in my wallet. I only have 2 (one of them for Costco) that should cover me in case one gets compromised and I have to wait for a replacement.
Is there something special about an REI CC?

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Is there something special about an REI CC?
Depends on how much you buy from them. I like them a lot and have been a good customer for decades.

If you use the REI credit card, you get the full dividend (10% last year) on your purchases there. Using any other credit card doesn't count toward the dividend.
Old 11-02-2022, 10:37 PM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

Know that I am late to this discussion, but I had trouble creating a new account with Capitol One and ended up with a paper bill sent two months late. I got hit with a late fee and a interest charge. (Always paid full amount auto pay each month). I had hoped Capitol One would have a grace period for a few months till things got worked out, but no! I canceled my account. I will not feel good about being a Capitol One Customer.
Transhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 11:20 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

@Transhuman, bummer about your getting the late fee. That's what I was worried about when my card didn't show for a while and I couldn't create an online account. I called CapitalOne and paid the balance over the phone. About a week later my card finally showed up and I was able to set up automatic payments. But was not a good "onboarding experience", as they say. Glad you showed your displeasure by cancelling. Wonder how many other REI cardholders did the same.
Old 11-04-2022, 12:47 PM   #12

That's a shame. My transition was seamless and went exactly according to plan. I'm perfectly happy with the way Capital One handled mine. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but nothing REI has ever done annoyed me. I love the company, being a member for many decades.
Old 11-04-2022, 04:38 PM   #13
Confused about dryer sheets

Pdxgal and braumeister, thanks for the support. I like REI and their service. Love the Seattle store and go there frequently. I in no way intended to criticize REI. Happy with my choice to move away from the big banks. Will use my credit union card.
Transhuman is offline   Reply With Quote