Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-10-2019, 01:13 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
You retirees are as smug as that camel in the commercial on Hump-Day!
Love that commercial and yes sometimes don't know what dayyyy it is.....
Plus one hour extra of daylight at the end of the day... glass half full...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2019, 04:52 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Living in Arizona should make my life simple, but this week a have a dental appointment in New Mexico and a community pancake breakfast there also. So I have to leave an hour sooner.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:14 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

It’s that time of year again (DST)

No DST in Az, but now I’ll lose 2 hours on the drive back to Illinois instead of 1.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:39 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Here’s someone who didn’t miss a beat due to the time change: my newspaper carrier. Promised delivery is 7am each Sunday and sure enough there it was at the end of the drive, safely double-wrapped (it was a rainy night on the chilly side), right on time.

I don’t know if they were all juiced due to last night’s big deal around here (Duke@UNC in men’s BB) but more likely they take pride in their work. Love that attitude.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:58 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Already done. I did the spring forward a few hours ago. That way less shock in the morning.
To try and ease my angst over DST, this past week for the six days proceeding, I moved the clock up 10 minutes each day....sort of like wading into the pool instead of just jumping in.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:13 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

The only thing that changes for me is my golf group. The guys I normally play with during the winter will change the tee time from 10 to 8:30 a.m. I'm not playing golf that early this time of the year. Heck.....the sun has only been up an hour or so. When it gets hot as hell in July I will get motivated to play early.

The problems of a retiree.......
Old 03-10-2019, 07:45 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Speaking of which, it sounds like California is considering DST for the entire year. Beyond the adjustments that would be needed for travel, computers, clocks, etc., this would also leave children going to school from mid-Fall through the Winter months mostly in the dark in the morning. Not sure I would like that as a parent.
My opinion won't be popular but I wish the whole world was on DST the entire year.

I'm a lucky person with SAD(Seasonal Affective Disorder) the fall change leaves me in a huge depression. Started when I was a child and hasn't been much better. Some folks use therapy lights to alleviate the depression.

I remember the first energy crisis when we had year round DST, DM didn't understand why I was in a normal mood all year.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:47 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

My cats will be happy that they will be fed an hour early.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:03 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
But then what do you do all day long on New Year's Day? (Just jokin' )
That’s the day I figure out my year end net worth and investment results for the past year. I don’t know what I’d do without these major events to trigger my activities.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Speaking of which, it sounds like California is considering DST for the entire year. Beyond the adjustments that would be needed for travel, computers, clocks, etc., this would also leave children going to school from mid-Fall through the Winter months mostly in the dark in the morning. Not sure I would like that as a parent.
The year was 1974. It was done nation wide. Parents were not happy about their kids waiting for the bus in the dark for a long stretch of winter. The revolt was enough for Congress to cut the plan short.

I walked to school, and school didn't start until about 8:15, so it was not a major impact to walk to school in twilight. However, I was an altar boy and had 6:30 or 7:00 am Mass and remember walking to church in the dark a lot that year when my altar boy week was active.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
This is not even a thing for a retired person. When working, it sucked. I had a hard enough time on Mondays, changing the clocks certainly made it worse. Now? Well I don't pay much attention to when I get into bed or when I get out of it. Other than changing a few older clocks, everything will self adjust, including me.
What he said.

I changed afew old fashioned clocks. That was it. No drama.

It is one hour of time difference. I don't understand all the angst about it. It didn't bother me when I was working and certainly doesn't now. [We need a "meh" or "snore" icon.]
Old 03-10-2019, 01:53 PM   #32

One of the best things about living in Az...no twice a year changing of the clocks. Just have to remind the relatives not to call too early in the morning!
Old 03-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I think I’ve experienced a hangover, and not the kind warranted by some elbow-bending, from the time change. The Monday effect plus one!

The lengthened daylight on Sunday was obvious and welcome but it’s adjustment week for areas that have to fool with the clock.

I hope those who are zeroing in on their own ER haven’t had too rough a time to start the week.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I haven't had to get up early to go to work the Monday after DST begins since 2001, when DST began in early April. After I began working PT in the summer of 2001, I always made sure to never have to get up early on the Monday after moving the clocks ahead. I was working from home for a few years, but I didn't have to check in until 10 AM Monday morning, not a problem even coming off a time change.

The only time in the last 18 years where the March/April time change had an impact on me was 6 years ago, in 2013. My ladyfriend became ill the night before and I had to take her to the hospital Sunday morning. She was there for a while before being admitted and remained in the hospital for a week.

She would help me prepare dinner at my place Sunday nights, so her absence left me on my own that night. Already weary from the time change and from waiting around at the hospital for several hours, it took me a few more hours to prepare my big Sunday night meal. It wasn't until 10:30 PM DST when I finally finished eating. I kidded her later, "Please don't get sick the day after DST begins!"

She wasn't sick last night, but it is kinda lousy for her to find it dark out at 6 AM again, after escaping that darkness the last few weeks. It will take about 5-6 weeks for the sunrise to return to its early time in mid-April. She will like going home during some daylight on her late days, though.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:02 PM   #35

I always hate going back to standard time, and look forward to when we go back on DST, but after reading the posts in this thread, I wonder if, once I'm retired, I'll really care? The main thing I hate about the winter is how it's dark when I leave the office to head home, and unless I go out for lunch, sometimes I won't even see the sun.

But, once I'm retired, that won't be an issue. I think the short days will still get to me, though. One thing I noticed this past winter, is that since I moved, I'm now down in a bit of a valley, with tall trees up right behind the house. So, on some of the shorter days, the sun never even clears the trees, and because of the hills, the sun "sets" for me earlier than the official sunset. And that got a bit depressing.

I've always wondered what it would be like to live in a valley, in the shadow of a "real" mountain, though...if that would mess with your senses more, if you were sensitive to sunlight deprivation?
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
One of the best things about living in Az...no twice a year changing of the clocks. Just have to remind the relatives not to call too early in the morning!
Do network TV shows change clock times?
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
Do network TV shows change clock times?
nope, everything is same as always on OTA Networks. Our prime time starts at 7:00pm no matter what the month.

On cable everything comes on an hour earlier.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:21 PM   #38

We don't have it here. But now I have to have my morning cup of coffee while watching CNBC instead of before watching it.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #39
Gone but not forgotten

DST... when? and why? Do you know?
Old 03-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
The year was 1974. It was done nation wide. Parents were not happy about their kids waiting for the bus in the dark for a long stretch of winter. The revolt was enough for Congress to cut the plan short.
I was pretty "Baked" that year and don't recall much!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote