Itemized Cost to Build a New House 2018-19

There are definitely places all across the US, including TX, where you can build a house for $100 per sqft without land costs.

My home insurance company used $130 / sqft when it quoted the replacement cost of my house last year. Here in South Florida a Cat-5 hurricane can come ashore and wipe my house off the map, leaving only the concrete pad with water & sewer hookups. :hide:

I hope that I never have to find out whether $130 / sqft is a reasonable number. :nonono:

For Colorado's Front Range? Yes.
Some are less. For example, Castle Rock is only $33K.
And, Brighton, CO is only $36K.
But, Frederick, Colorado is $62K just for water.

Water does not fall from the sky here.
I think there are other places in the country where houses are build, LOL.

You think that's normal? First current hit when I googled was Arlington, VA, a high priced area. https://building.arlingtonva.us/des-fee-schedules/water-sewer-services-fees/
$3300.

Just because you found an exception and think it's funny, doesn't make it wrong.

I live on the other side of DC in the MD suburbs which is also HCOL but maybe a bit less than Arlington, VA. Water & sewer connection fees for new homes are assessed by a Front Foot Benefit Charge. It is currently $12/yr per foot of building lot frontage. The charge is assessed for 20 yrs. That’s ~$24k for a 100 ft wide lot. It does not show up as part of the cost to build but it is listed on the property tax invoice.

Impact fees across California are ridiculous. I'm not kidding about the $450 a square foot cost to rebuild for subdivision houses in the Santa Rosa area, and some fees have been waived.

San Jose building fees: http://www.sanjoseca.gov/index.aspx?NID=415 Have fun figuring out the fees to build your 2,500 sf house. With the school fees and other non-City fees, you are looking at a lot more than the pie chart estimates.

Last edited:
Aja, our kitchen is just a galley work kitchen in our 1950’s ranch but most didn’t have dining rooms. Don’t know where people ate. In the 70’s someone added dining room and master bedroom/bathroom on the back of the house.

Just looking at it, I would agree builders grade. The cost of appliances is $4k. Flooring is $13k. I think when we were looking to build a house about 6 or 7 years ago (in Texas) the preliminary per SF was about $125. This was a cut above builders grade but would have been more to be what we wanted. Which is why we ended up buying an already built house (7 years old) for over $100k less than it would have taken to build (including cost of land) and we got a house that was of higher quality.

Aja, our kitchen is just a galley work kitchen in our 1950’s ranch but most didn’t have dining rooms. Don’t know where people ate. In the 70’s someone added dining room and master bedroom/bathroom on the back of the house.

People back then ate wherever they could sit, I guess. We had one big kitchen in the old house I lived in for a while (built probably 1930's in CT) and we had room for a kitchen table and 4 chairs.

That is an interesting cost chart. Prices sure have gone up through the years.
I built my home 34 years ago cost around $20 a sq. ft. with me doing all most all the construction. That number included all materials and land. I wish I would have built 10 of them back then. LOL
My son had one built about 7 years ago. He paid 235K it has right at 1750 sq. ft. and has 3 stall attached garage (44x26) which is insulated and rocked. It is a very beautiful home located in a HCOL area in a NNW state.

We got married in 1978 and built our first custom home in 1981. I did a rough sketch and took it to an architect. Loved the process. Got exactly what we wanted. Lived in it raised our family. 20x40 inground pool.

Sold it in 2004 and built our current custom home. Loved the process the second time around as well. Love our home and wouldn’t mind doing it one last time.

Last edited:
Luckily out here in AZ land isn't such a shortage as some areas. Most new homes in AZ are built inside a development. The developer builds up the infrastructure (lot division, electric, water, cable, etc.) and those costs are included in the cost of the lot that you buy. Never heard of impact/connection fees and the like, if there are any the developer takes care of it. When I had my house built I purchased the lot then hired a home builder. The home builder dug a trench out to the street to tap into the utilities, no extra charges.

SDC System Development Charges are (last time I heard) $40k in Portland market. I think one community was wanting to (and probably will get) $15k just for Parks SDC. Water, Sewer, Transportation all get a shot at it. I think schools & the Regional government get about a 1% excise fee. Not including any permit fees. So let's say $50k before you've moved any dirt. Easy to see why a lot will go for $250k

The lighting budget? $3k? hanging bare bulbs...maybe

surprisingly the clean up is pretty close. Maybe I need to raise our prices!

every market is different.

The costs are a little higher on most items than for my place but not a lot (with about the same square footage). The one exception is foundation where I paid almost double including labor which I farmed out, but the foundation included a walkout basement lower level which is part of the total square footage. The foundation also included an attached two car garage on the upper level with an attached one car garage on the lower level. I have been working on my place for 4 years which probably accounts for a lot of the price difference. I have noticed quite a price increase in materials over these years.

Impact fees across California are ridiculous. I'm not kidding about the $450 a square foot cost to rebuild for subdivision houses in the Santa Rosa area, and some fees have been waived.

San Jose building fees: San Jose, CA - Official Website - Building Permit Fees Have fun figuring out the fees to build your 2,500 sf house. With the school fees and other non-City fees, you are looking at a lot more than the pie chart estimates.
I don’t think anyone would be surprised, CA has had a much higher COL than many others states for decades. The OP was “just an example” there is no universal case.

Going through this process right now for a home in western Colorado. With land it’s more in the $275-$315/sq ft range to build. Existing homes of equal quality are in the $220 range - same neighborhood. Eye opener. Looking at resales now instead.

We came very close to doing a new construction build earlier this year. $200+/sq ft not including land, and that was in the Midwest in a reasonably LCOL area. And we were not doing high-end..just "nice".

When we determined it was going to be $800K+ to build a 2,500'ish sq ft retirement house, we (thankfully) decided not to pull the trigger and backed out of our land deal. Thank God we did, or ER would have been totally out the window - at least for the next several years.

There is literally no end to the costs you don't even think to anticipate when building new. Our challenge is that we want our "forever" house as it would be the last one we own, and the things we want (heavily wooded/private lot, first floor master, open floor plan, lots of windows, no living or dining room, home office) is like looking for a purple unicorn. We've been looking for literally YEARS for a "used" house and while we've seen 2 or 3 that were acceptable, there was always a major trade-off that was a deal breaker. The last one for example was in a town that was not even remotely close to hospitals, parks, bike trails or anything..it'd be 30-45 minute drive each way for anything we wanted/needed to do.

Can be tough to find the house you want if you have any significant "wants" (like we do)..

I don’t think anyone would be surprised, CA has had a much higher COL than many others states for decades. The OP was “just an example” there is no universal case.
Not sure if you came up with the chart on your own or if it's based on the article, which shows average costs. Not sure why that's a hard concept for some to grasp. Of course there are places were costs are above average, and a few far above average. That means there are also places below the average.

The Santa Rosa $450/sq ft rebuilt--I'll take your word on that, but why is it so high? You've already got the land, and the site work is done except for clearing the charred remains. There's some cost in the clearing, but it can't be worse than doing a tear-down. Labor in CA is probably higher. Materials can't be that much more or you'd find a way to ship them from a cheaper area. Just trying to understand.

A new home was built down the street from me last year. It is a 2600 square ft.(up) 3 br. 3 bath home with a huge screen porch off the back and a fully finished basement. Double garage up and single garage in the basement. It is an open floorplan with high ceilings, etc. The house took a month to frame and another month to fully brick. $300K cost plus $78K for dirt work and driveways.

My wife and I built our forever home back in 2004 for $60K (Washington State). We did all the work ourselves; crawlspace foundation, framing, roofing, windows, plumbing, electrical, insulation, sheetrock, flooring, built our own cabinets, tiling, etc. 2003 - Building Our Own House

Granted, not everyone has the time or resources to build their own home. We also had a few things going for us, as we already lived on the property in a mobile home. So there were no impact fees, septic system, or well to contend with (we already did those when we first put the mobile on the property). However, doing it ourselves saved us a ton in labor costs, allowed us to upgrade to nicer hardwood flooring, tile, better window coverings, etc. Best of all we paid out of pocket and a little bit of savings so we had no mortgage when we were done.

Still, there are many things in that chart I would not consider "must haves". For starters, just because the average home size is 2500 sq/ft doesn't mean you need that much space, especially just for two people. Our home is 1495 sq/ft and feels like a mansion to us. We both grew up in homes less than 800 sq/ft and lived quite comfortably. (At $150 sq/ft a 2500 sq/ft home would cost 375K compared to only 225K for a 1500 sq/ft home). More space just equals more junk to fill it, more materials to build, more to heat, more to clean, higher property taxes, etc. Luxury items like granite counter tops, exotic wood cabinets, paved driveways, expensive light fixtures, high end plumbing fixtures, and so on are not "must haves".

$8K for painting? Please. A brush, paint roller, and a couple hundred bucks in paint at most. It's not rocket science and doing some work yourself could save you thousands.

Not sure if you came up with the chart on your own or if it's based on the article, which shows average costs. Not sure why that's a hard concept for some to grasp. Of course there are places were costs are above average, and a few far above average. That means there are also places below the average.

The Santa Rosa $450/sq ft rebuilt--I'll take your word on that, but why is it so high? You've already got the land, and the site work is done except for clearing the charred remains. There's some cost in the clearing, but it can't be worse than doing a tear-down. Labor in CA is probably higher. Materials can't be that much more or you'd find a way to ship them from a cheaper area. Just trying to understand.
The chart is directly from the data in the article, just broken down a little finer than the article. I linked to the article for full disclosure.

And I have no idea about Santa Rosa, that was someone else as you probably know. But I agree there can't be as much disparity in home construction or replacement costs per sqft from one place to another as there would be with land costs included. Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes, I meant to quote or refer to a different poster on the Santa Rosa question.

Back
Top Bottom