Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Most of our technology was developed in the last couple hundred years.
Where will we be a couple thousand years down the road if advances continue at this pace?
When is our expiration date?
I think we're about halfway toward disappearing...either the sun will burn us up or the earth will "die" on its own - forgot which is supposed to come first...

From Wiki:
Future
See also: Risks to civilization, humans and planet Earth

The future of the planet is closely tied to that of the Sun. As a result of the steady accumulation of helium ash at the Sun's core, the star's total luminosity will slowly increase. The luminosity of the Sun will increase by 10 percent over the next 1.1 Gyr (1.1 billion years), and by 40% over the next 3.5 Gyr.[130] Climate models indicate that the rise in radiation reaching the Earth is likely to have dire consequences, including the possible loss of the planet's oceans.[131]
The Earth's increasing surface temperature will accelerate the inorganic CO2 cycle, reducing its concentration to the lethal levels for plants (10 ppm for C4 photosynthesis) in 900 million years. The lack of vegetation will result in the loss of oxygen in the atmosphere, so animal life will become extinct within several million more years.[24] But even if the Sun were eternal and stable, the continued internal cooling of the Earth would have resulted in a loss of much of its atmosphere and oceans (due to lower volcanism).[132] After another billion years the surface water will have completely disappeared[133] and the mean global temperature will reach 70°C.[24] The Earth is expected to be effectively habitable for another 500 million years or so.[134]
The Sun, as part of its evolution, will expand to a red giant in about 5 Gyr. Models predict that the Sun will expand out to about 250 times its present size, roughly 1 AU (150,000,000 km).[130][135] Earth's fate is less clear. As a red giant, the Sun will lose roughly 30% of its mass, so, without tidal effects, the Earth will be in an orbit 1.7 AU (250,000,000 km) from the Sun when the star reaches it maximum radius. Therefore, the planet is expected to escape envelopment by the expanded Sun's sparse outer atmosphere, though most, if not all, existing life will be destroyed because of the Sun's increased luminosity.[130] However, a more recent simulation indicates that Earth's orbit will decay due to tidal effects and drag, causing it to enter the red giant Sun's atmosphere and be destroyed.[135]

shouldn't that be high on the next president's agenda?!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This appears to explain the whole thing:

We&squo;ve kept UFO proof secret to protect Hollywood | The Courier-Mail
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:24 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

In an effort to bring first hand information to the board regarding the possibility aliens walk among us, I traveled to Roswell, New Mexico, the claimed alien capital of the world. I've been here an hour and have seen one suspected alien but it turned out to only be a dog wearing a tinfoil hat and a sign that read: "I'll hump your leg if you buy an annuity".

Stay tuned for additional reports directly from the front lines.

REW,
Eyewitless News
Fairly unbalanced
Old 07-27-2008, 04:44 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
In an effort to bring first hand information to the board regarding the possibility aliens walk among us, I traveled to Roswell, New Mexico, the claimed alien capital of the world. I've been here an hour and have seen one suspected alien but it turned out to only be a dog wearing a tinfoil hat and a sign that read: "I'll hump your leg if you buy an annuity".

Stay tuned for additional reports directly from the front lines.

REW,
Eyewitless News
Fairly unbalanced
Are you properly attired in tinfoil hat? "THEY" will control your mind. You just thought it was a dog, most likely it was a grizzly marmot.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Hmm. I thought I saw a pair of cojones, but on further review they appear to be meatballs.
Eh...cojones...meatballs...they're the same.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post

shouldn't that be high on the next president's agenda?!
Quickly, quickly, get AlGore, Helios is overheating, must be dang SUV's fault!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:30 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Quickly, quickly, get AlGore, Helios is overheating, must be dang SUV's fault!
yes, this isn't global warming, global broiling!