Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here's a small challenge for you all...I need some ideas of where to donate a 1998 vintage Sharp camcorder with 40X digital zoom that still operates. I have all the accessories.
My thoughts were the local library, the community theatre, or the historical society. Recall I live in the boonies, so these places have small operating budgets.
Other ideas?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post

Here is an article outlining several web sites that pay you to recycle electronics, computers, etc:

Fiscal Fitness: Get Cash for Your Castoffs - Manage Your Life on Shine

FYI, I haven't tried any of the sites myself yet.
I sold an old laptop to one of these (cashforlaptops.com) -- they quoted a price online, provided a postage paid box to mail to them, and mailed a check to me within a couple of days of receiving the laptop. I thought the price was fair for my old dell ($105).
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Here's a small challenge for you all...I need some ideas of where to donate a 1998 vintage Sharp camcorder with 40X digital zoom that still operates. I have all the accessories.
My thoughts were the local library, the community theatre, or the historical society. Recall I live in the boonies, so these places have small operating budgets.
Other ideas?
I suggest the historical society, if they actually have someone who knows how to interview people who have lived in the area a long time and is willing to do the work. Failing that, whichever of the other two organizations will actually use it.

And one other idea, youth sports teams....could they use it to videotape games for later dissection, use it to help batters or golfers or tennis players perfect their swing, or the like?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:43 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I suggest the historical society, if they actually have someone who knows how to interview people who have lived in the area a long time and is willing to do the work. Failing that, whichever of the other two organizations will actually use it.

And one other idea, youth sports teams....could they use it to videotape games for later dissection, use it to help batters or golfers or tennis players perfect their swing, or the like?
Great idea for youth sports teams. I know a few coaches.
I will definitely ask the historical society first. The library is poorly funded and might even offer it as a loaner item for civic groups or to record inventory for insurance purposes.
I also thought of the local Y for all sorts of kids' events they host.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:17 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

A timely article

from Dummies.com, some concrete practical steps to declutter. The triage method (3rd bullet from the top) makes a lot of sense.

How to Get Rid of Clutter - For Dummies
Old 02-19-2010, 05:04 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Mystery object

I have a real white elephant that has been hanging around for years...it was a gift from long ago. My intent is to take it to a local antique store and sell it.
I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what this thing is. It has a curved "seat", is made entirely of brass, and has seated facing griffins on the handles. Or is it really a seat?
I went searching on several antique sites and could not find anything like it. My search keywords were "brass curved seat griffins".
Any help in identifying it would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brassseatgirffins.jpg (31.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg griffindetail.jpg (27.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-19-2010, 06:06 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I went searching on several antique sites and could not find anything like it. My search keywords were "brass curved seat griffins".
My guess is that it is seating for a dressing table. I don't know if there is an "official" name for that piece of furniture but that's what it reminds me of.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:12 AM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have a real white elephant that has been hanging around for years...it was a gift from long ago. My intent is to take it to a local antique store and sell it.
I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what this thing is. It has a curved "seat", is made entirely of brass, and has seated facing griffins on the handles. Or is it really a seat?
I thought it might be for holding 1-3 logs of firewood for future use, by a fireplace. (?) Whatever it is, I think it's beautiful and the antique store might give you a decent price for it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I thought it might be for holding 1-3 logs of firewood for future use, by a fireplace. (?) Whatever it is, I think it's beautiful and the antique store might give you a decent price for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
My guess is that it is seating for a dressing table. I don't know if there is an "official" name for that piece of furniture but that's what it reminds me of.
Both excelllent guesses. TY for trying.
I went searching again using "dressing table bench griffins" and "brass fireplace griffins" keywords...still no dice.
Let's see what other ideas come from the forum membership. I have to run to an appt. I'll check back later today.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:34 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Bear in mind that some alternate spellings exist such as gryphon, griffon, griffin.

This item also could be used as a magazine rack. In fact, with all these potential uses I am surprised that you want to sell it!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #71
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi All!

Love this simplifying thread and Freebird's challenge was just what I needed to finally drag myself out of lurkerdom...

I did a search on "brass folding stool griffins" and found the exact same item listed at an antique gallery.

Looks like it's a French Iron Bench, C.1920 as shown about a third of the way down this page:

Chairs

Looks like it might be valuable--check out the blue price color code.
GreenEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum, GreenEyes.

And what a wonderful discovery! I'm sure Freebird5825 will be thrilled to read your post.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

I went through most of my life believing new and improved was better. I retired, and thought now that I have time, I will try some of the old, slow and simple ways. I found they were old and simple, but certainly not slow. Got rid of the gas BBQ and went to charcoal. Got rid of the coffee maker and got a press, power mower to a push mower, blower to a broom, car to a bike, heater to a wood burning stove, A/C to an evap cooler, power to a non power can opener, a ton of kitchen gadgets to a knife and a cuttting board.... worm composter, composter, herb garden, thrift store..... I save tons of time and money, have more room, and I’m more comfortable and self sufficient. I could've saved a lot of work during my working life.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
FIYes, that's pretty good!!

I have one item so far to start this week's 7 items. I decided to throw out some curlers (the sponge kind, for sleeping on). My curling iron is good enough for morning touch-ups if necessary, and with my curly hair that seldom is needed. I haven't used them in years.
OK, for Saturday February 20th I have:

sponge rollers
6 bottles half used fragrances and bubble bath
foot care kit
box of small paper cups
box full of obsolete cable internet information
very old AD&D computer game that doesn't work in Vista
booklets and software for a laptop computer that completely cratered
booklets and software for a desktop computer that I no longer have

Old 02-20-2010, 02:10 AM   #75

This week I'm getting rid of some recording equipment I never really used.

Two microphones
Two microphone stands
A mixer

And to get it to seven I'll be purging two books:

- A bio of William Jennings Bryan
- A bio of General Franco
Old 02-20-2010, 02:36 AM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

OMG, it's Saturday again. I'll think of seven things by Sunday, maybe I'll sleep on it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (28.4 KB, 121 views)
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:04 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

This week:

11 college textbooks ranging from accounting to great reads such as "Urban Problems in Sociological Perspective"

2 dell desktop pc's and my old Imac

2 - 3 gallon jugs of peanut oil
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:08 AM   #78

OK this week I broke down my old huge TV stand and replaced it with an antique table that was just sitting in the corner, took two boxes of books and one small box of mixed nick nacks to the thrift store. I also sorted four boxes of papers which my forefathers had saved resulting in a large garbage container of old paper. I will also be giving away a few DVD's.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:53 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyes View Post
Hi All!

Love this simplifying thread and Freebird's challenge was just what I needed to finally drag myself out of lurkerdom...

I did a search on "brass folding stool griffins" and found the exact same item listed at an antique gallery.

Looks like it's a French Iron Bench, C.1920 as shown about a third of the way down this page:

Chairs

Looks like it might be valuable--check out the blue price color code.

You are AMAZING!
Yes, it is identical to the one I have. Now I have a basis for its age and value when I talk to the antique stores. Heeheeheee, let the buyer beware the informed seller.
Welcome to the forum and many many thanks for your discovery.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:17 AM   #80

I have a pile of stuff ready to go and I'm feeling annoyed at myself that it's still here. A huge bag of clothing, several old suitcases, and a box of household cr*p. I wanted to drop it off at the thrift store yesterday, but was reluctant to drive and park there with all these mountains of snow still everywhere. It's a tricky parking lot to navigate normally, and I thought it might be downright dangerous with mountains of snow shielding visibility.

Next week, it's got to go!
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote