Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-09-2020, 10:48 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We love BBQ--steaks, burgers, ribs, fish etc.
Burgers--usually costco brand organic ground beef, sometimes 50/50 beef/bison.
Salt or Johnnys seasoning salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder.
Sometimes substitute or add creole seasoning or off the hook blackened seasoning for fish.
Have a treager and small charcoal weber.
Mmm-mmm
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We grill 3-4 /week on a gas grill, but I cheat with 3-4 lumps of charcoal on a grate above the gas outlets year round. We grill pork, ahi, chicken, and beef from our annual local cow. Forget that all grass stuff, we put ours on corn the last 6 weeks. Yesterday was rib eyes washed down with my Cab, Merlot, Petit Verdot blend. Today, it's shrimp and scallops in a lime juice marinade with some Sauv Blanc, or some Verdelho. Live and love to eat!
Old 06-09-2020, 02:28 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
We found a wonderful package at our local supermarket. it is 50% beef, and 50 % bacon!!
It cooks up great on the grill.

Sign me up for this!

Also, another vote here for frying the burger on the Blackstone. Makes a really nice crust that you don’t get with grilling over a flame.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:08 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

>>from Winemaker: Forget that all grass stuff, we put ours on corn the last 6 weeks. >>

I'm with you and the OP. Grain-finished Black Angus Prime, salted well ahead of time, is always our steak of choice.

When it comes to burgers, I usually do a mix of 50/50 beef and bison, when at home. But the best we've had from restaurants has been a mix of chuck, brisket, and either skirt steak or flank steak. Pork fat (lard) is added while grinding - suet has too high a melting point for a medium-rare doneness, whereas pork fat has a lower melting point that will keep the burger juicy.

Good brioche for burger buns shouldn't be overly sweet. In fact it shouldn't be any sweeter than a milk bread dough. There's a lot of crappy oversugared brioche in stores. It's worth seeking out the really good stuff.
zippy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:04 AM   #45

I live in northern MN and grill all year long. I recently added a pellet stove to my grill options and am having fun trying it out.

My go to is elk burger. Mixed at the locker plant 85% elk and 15% beef tallow. They have it perfected. Cooked over Traeger Signature Blend pellets it doesn't need any seasoning at all.

If I grill beef I prefer ground chuck.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
It's Summer. Defend Your Burger.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:18 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

It's Summer. Defend Your Burger.

We use ground sirloin, about 1/2 pound per burger, charcoal grill. Melt a couple slices of whatever cheese we have on hand. Brioche buns lightly toasted. Slice of tomato, slice of vidalia onion and bread and butter pickles (Bubbies).
nhcycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:54 AM   #47

We are carnivorous but last night as an experiment I grilled Impossible Burger I got from the grocery store. I liked it more than DW but we agreed it’s an impressive technology. I bet it would be very hard to detect as not actually beef in other recipes calling for ground beef.
Markola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:17 AM   #48

We made "burgers" last night.

Black beans, quinoa, rolled oats, garlic and onion powder, BBQ sauce and a dash of liquid smoke. Couple turns in the Vitamix. Form patties.

Grilled to a crispy outside. Delicious. I had 2 with some grilled veggies.

:-)
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:35 AM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Garden burgers and Impossible burgers are both pretty good, too!
Old 06-12-2020, 11:12 AM   #50

Reading through this thread and learning about the process that some will go through in making a hamburger reminds of an anecdote from Lee Iacocca's autobiography.

Iacocca tells the story that in the Ford Motor Company's executive dining room, Henry Ford II rarely ate anything but hamburgers. Furthermore, Ford complained that his own personal chef at home couldn't make a decent burger. In fact, no one made burgers as perfect as the ones at the executive dining room.

Wanting to impress Ford and undercut the other managers at his next cookout, Iacocca went to the kitchen and asked the chef to show him what he did to make Ford’s burgers so good. The chef went to the fridge, grabbed a thick marbled rib eye, ran it through a grinder, patted up a meat puck, and tossed it on the grill.

And there's yer burger!
Old 06-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom2708 View Post
We made "burgers" last night.

Black beans, quinoa, rolled oats, garlic and onion powder, BBQ sauce and a dash of liquid smoke. Couple turns in the Vitamix. Form patties.

Grilled to a crispy outside. Delicious. I had 2 with some grilled veggies.

:-)
Prior to going low carb, I would sometimes have black bean burgers. They are darn good!

If I'm cooking meat in a pan or on a flat top. Liquid smoke is almost always involved.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:15 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
What say you? Got a burger with bragging rights? Then spill the beans! Or serve 'em as a side.
I keep it simple. I make 3 burgers out of each pound of ground beef or ground chuck. I put a light coating of lite soy sauce on each side along with garlic powder. And some black pepper on one side only. Then I grill over charcoal until medium-well topped with cheese singles for mine and well-done with no cheese for DW.
I also butter the (cheapest pre-sliced store-brand I can find) buns and lightly toast them on the upper rack of the grill for a couple of minutes before assembly.
DW and her family really like them. (me, too)
ArmchairMillionaire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:16 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

50/50 burger. Half ground brisket. Half ground bacon. Sinful off the grill.
DrBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:34 PM   #54
gone traveling

mix 1/2 pork with 1/2 beef.... it will never be a dry burger....
dixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:39 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixter View Post
mix 1/2 pork with 1/2 beef.... it will never be a dry burger....
I sometimes mix half Italian sausage with 80/20 chuck and that's the combination DW likes best.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:20 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
We are carnivorous but last night as an experiment I grilled Impossible Burger I got from the grocery store. I liked it more than DW but we agreed it’s an impressive technology. I bet it would be very hard to detect as not actually beef in other recipes calling for ground beef.
Easy to detect when buying. Usually $2-3/lb more.

I have no "beef" with Impossible Burger, or any other veg substitute. Free market.

Just no reason to replace something I like with something I like the same, with the same taste, at a higher price. BUT, I will probably try them some time. Maybe I like the taste better?

Side note: DS was vegetarian for a time in HS and College, so we would by the Morning Star sausage sub patties, for him. I actually tried them several times, and preferred them to sausage patties. We still occasionally buy them, but they are pricey.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:29 PM   #57

I've grilled year round in NJ (many nights out in thunderstorms with my housemate holding a really big umbrella over me and the weber), but have been out in California since 1999, and nothing is better than calling folks on the east coast in the middle of january and discussing the fact that I am wearing nothing but shorts and am out in the yard grilling.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:30 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrisket View Post
50/50 burger. Half ground brisket. Half ground bacon. Sinful off the grill.
that sounds amazing. DW bought a meat grinder, so making some burger meat of our own sounds like a fun project.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:50 PM   #59
Dryer sheet aficionado

I like mixing spices, garlic, chili sauce, and beer into the meat, then grilling it. You can also mix in Parmesan cheese.

Don't forget the mayo.
drcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:29 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retch The Grate View Post
I've grilled year round in NJ (many nights out in thunderstorms with my housemate holding a really big umbrella over me and the weber), but have been out in California since 1999, and nothing is better than calling folks on the east coast in the middle of january and discussing the fact that I am wearing nothing but shorts and am out in the yard grilling.
+1.

I have siblings along I-94/90 from Minneapolis to Missoula. Always fun to rub a little seasoned salt in their frozen wounds during their long arctic winters.