It's Summer. Defend Your Burger.

Red Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Okay, here in the south, our grill is used year round. But many folk that hang out here are just entering "grilling season." My condolences for that. Anyhoo, how about a little social media smack-down WRT the meat of second place (as we all know, the throne belongs to bacon). :baconflag:

Our local butcher sells ground brisket. As most know, brisket is a tough cut. But like other tough cuts (flank, hanger, skirt), the flavor profile is immense. So, it makes a damn fine burger! I salt the burgers hours ahead of time like I do a steak, grill over charcoal with just a few splashes of Wooster sauce. Then, finish with cheese, lettuce, onions, and tomato. I use low carb wraps as a way to keep carbs manageable (no bun).

I'll be testing brisket for chili, meatloaf, and other recipes. :dance:

What say you? Got a burger with bragging rights? Then spill the beans! Or serve 'em as a side. :D

Good thread topic!
Never tried ground brisket but I guess I should.

My normal routine is 80/20 chuck, Angus if I can get it. I mix it with some salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a dash of MSG and Worcestershire. Mix by hand, just barely enough to combine everything, then back in the frig overnight to let the spices even out.

Then I make burgers nice and round, using one of those metal rings used to make English muffins. Two pounds of meat gives me five burgers.

The grill tends to dry them out more than I like, so I do mine on a Blackstone griddle. A nice thick slice of Swiss cheese on top for the last minute or two. When they're done, each one gets a slice of raw onion for crunch. Most of the time I use a low carb tortilla, but if any guests will be here I get some wonderful brioche hamburger buns from Kroger.

Okay, here in the south, our grill is used year round. But many folk that hang out here are just entering "grilling season." My condolences for that. Anyhoo, how about a little social media smack-down WRT the meat of second place (as we all know, the throne belongs to bacon). :baconflag:

Our local butcher sells ground brisket. As most know, brisket is a tough cut. But like other tough cuts (flank, hanger, skirt), the flavor profile is immense. So, it makes a damn fine burger! I salt the burgers hours ahead of time like I do a steak, grill over charcoal with just a few splashes of Wooster sauce. Then, finish with cheese, lettuce, onions, and tomato. I use low carb wraps as a way to keep carbs manageable (no bun).

I'll be testing brisket for chili, meatloaf, and other recipes. :dance:

What say you? Got a burger with bragging rights? Then spill the beans! Or serve 'em as a side. :D
Whole Foods Market in some Chicago area stores sells ground brisket burger patties, and they are delicious. An expert taste panel (my grandkids) ranks them #1. We just add salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder and a bit of worcestershire

Let's face it, if you use a nice premium brioche bun, the premium burgers with condiments get so thick you cannot get'em in your mouth.

I'm with you on grilling all year round too. That's why we have screen porches--to cook on.

Let's face it. Cooke a big burger and put it on a premium bun and you cannot hardly get it in your mouth.

And screen porches are great as they allow cooking outside 12 mos. of the year.

Been playing with sous vide Juicy Loosies and finishing up on the grill with more cheese on top. A nice way to get a perfect burger loaded with cheese in the middle and on top.

Been playing with sous vide Juicy Loosies and finishing up on the grill with more cheese on top. A nice way to get a perfect burger loaded with cheese in the middle and on top.

Shout out to a fellow Twin Citian?

Let's face it, if you use a nice premium brioche bun, the premium burgers with condiments get so thick you cannot get'em in your mouth.

I'm with you on grilling all year round too. That's why we have screen porches--to cook on.

Just "canoe" the bun. Scrape out a lot of the fluffy bread (especially the top) so there is room for the toppings.

That right they are from Twin Cities. I'm not from there I know a good thing when I eat it. The sous vide makes them easy and thoroughly messy.
Shout out to a fellow Twin Citian?

Last edited:
.... Anyhoo, how about a little social media smack-down WRT the meat of second place (as we all know, the throne belongs to bacon). :baconflag: ...

Got me to thinking.... what about mixing some lean ground beef with some ground bacon? Best of both worlds?

googled it and it looks like someone has already thought of it but I'll still give it a try.

nothing better than a juicy lucy! Matts bar in mpls supposedly came up with the idea but there are many places in the twin cities where you can get a good one.

you don't have to be in the south to BBQ year round. just keep the grill close to the back door and have a shovel nearby. :D

75/25 ground Chuck seasoned with a little Goya Adobo. The important thing is charcoal with mesquite chips to sear&smoke. If you're using propane you might as well cook it inside on the stove.

Grandfather hated to eat out. Couldn't get a decent burger anywhere. I went with Grandmother to the butcher. She picked out the best marbled sirloin steak and had the butcher grind it. Of course it's hard to beat that at a restaurant. That was a fine burger but my teeth are good and I'd rather have the steak.

Always use 80-20 ground chuck for DIY, wagyu premades also an option for gourmet.

I have 2 faves;
The super deluxe bacon cheese burger with lettuce, tomato and onion, little mayo spread or buttered grilled bun

The simple, just a burger on a bun with a slice of onion

Both done on the charcoal habachi of course

I typically use 85%, mix in some garlic powder, dried onion flakes, salt and fresh ground black pepper. Mix all together and make some nice bigger diam hand patties than the buns I am going to use; since they shrink. Once in patty form, sprinkle with more ground pepper and salt, both sides. Cook over med heat, I am fine with my propane grill. Turn off burners and put whatever cheese is desired and let that just sit in the warm grill for about 1 minute to melt the cheese just right.
A good brioche or pretzel bun makes a better burger than the std buns. Big slab of fresh garden tomato can't be beat when in season. I prefer grilled onions, but a nice fresh cut onion for those that like it. Bacon is always good on a burger.
Speaking of season, I grill out year-round. No such thing as winter shutdown for grilling out. We probably grill out 3-4 times/week almost all year round.

We buy the 93/7 hamburger. It’s healthier.

In truth I do not put much thought into it. Anything grilled tastes better to me than cooking it on the stove, in the oven, or in the microwave. Perhaps growing up as a city kid and rarely having access to grilled food, thus seeing it as a special treat, is the reason.

We grill when we have a a lot meat in stock, on a charcoal grill (keep meaning to get a propane grill, we had a built in one in our previous house, but it was not a priority before retirement). We grill as much as we can to make efficient use of the charcoal - all cuts of beef/poultry/meat, vegetables, fish, shrimp. With just DW and I we grill 1-2 weeks worth of meat/fish (it still tastes great after being reheated).

There is a local butcher we go to and buy their ground chuck which is good, but probably like many other grinds. What, however, makes a HUGE difference is they also sell this homemade paste to put on red meat. As far as we can tell it has beef broth, some butter oil, secret spices, but OMG does it add to the flavor of the meat. We eat them grilled without a bun, no condiments and they are the best burgers we have ever had.

We buy the 93/7 hamburger. It’s healthier.

Not for the cow :)

Edit to add - I’m not sure there is a meaningful difference in impact to one’s health between 93/7 and 80/20, or how that would be measured, but personally I would opt for the higher fat content and look for health elsewhere. For example, forgo the bun or skip the fries.

Last edited:
I buy the 80/20 hamburger. It's tastier. I really know it's tastier, but it seems no one really knows what is healthier.

-ERD50
+1

I guess it's healthy because "fat is bad for you"? Perhaps too much of saturated fat in beef contributes to higher cholesterol?

I've been reducing my saturated fat for the past 3 months to help reduce mine; it's time for another lipid panel to see if that's what the cause is.. Could be the issue I seem to have dropped 12 pounds in as many weeks by removing foods high in saturated fat. One thing I haven't cut back on is beef with fat. Careful choices can allow you to eat a reasonable amount of beef and stay well within USDA guidelines.

Last edited:
I eat a lot of bison as well as venison. DW opts out on those occasions. I add pork belly or bacon (and lots of minced onion) to ground venison.

I have used bacon inside the grind as well. Great addition.

We usually do bratwurst instead of burgers. I prefer Hungarians.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom