It's Valentine's Day !

BigNick

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Mrs BigNick and I are going out for a nice dinner. And for once I have a decent present for her.

Today is the 25th anniversary of our getting engaged. IIRC, this consisted of me and her being outside a jewellery store looking at rings and me saying "So, would you like one of those?". Pretty romantic, I think you'll agree. Anyway, I proceeded to buy her the worst engagement ring ever: a white gold band with what looks like a small piece of grit set in it. It wouldn't hurt anyone (I've since been told that the point of an engagement ring is to be able to properly scratch the car of anyone who looks at your fiancé).

So tonight she will be getting a replacement, proper engagement ring, with a good-sized rock. Heck, it's such a good size, it's set in one of those "holders", bent over the top to stop the thing from running away. :D

Any other Valentine's stories ?

I'm of two minds on it. One is the understanding that it is a wholly manufactured holiday by Hallmark Cards to spur sales during what otherwise was the slowest time of year for their business. So there's a bit of the "grrrrr" factor to if for being so easily manipulated.

OTH, it is an opportunity to make DW feel a bit special and appreciated, and nothing bad can come of that.

So tomorrow she gets dinner at the restaurant of her choice. I might even wear a tie and leather shoes. The things one does for love....

Valentine's Day, also known (according to a twice-divorced local news anchor) as Black Tuesday...

DW and I avoid the restaurant dinner madness and opt for a 'romantic lunch' instead. Works for us.

Last edited:
Happy Valentine's Day. I don't have any good stories, but enjoyed yours. I am one of those people who try to avoid restaurants on Valentine's Day and Mother's Day. I hope everyone going out tonight has a great time though!

I went whole hog, though last Saturday; after all, we're both still w*rking...

Dinner, champagne, chocolate-covered strawberries, roses... I think it worked! :flowers:

We bought each other the same greeting card. Great minds and all that...

My condolences to all the afflicted.

Love to read these stories!
My plan was to make DH his favorite meal, which we have seldom because it is work intensive. Cooking is my hobby, so we go out seldom, considering the cost and that I can do better tasting and healthier at home. Unfortunately, I am in bed with the flu. He got me roses and a card, and I got him a card. The meal will have to wait for Thursday, I fear.:(

Eh, complete hallmark holiday. DW and I choose not to participate amongst the two of us, instead choosing to celebrate dates meaningful to us. The kids, who live life from holiday to holiday, are in full swing.

Eh, complete hallmark holiday. DW and I choose not to participate amongst the two of us, instead choosing to celebrate dates meaningful to us. The kids, who live life from holiday to holiday, are in full swing.
Even tho boys had cooties back then, I loved giving and receiving valentines. I remember even at six years old, I'd blush getting a valentine from a cootie infested boy....:blush:

I gave DW a card showing a couple. The male labeled MR Right, The Female labeled MRS ALWAYs RIGHT.

She thought it was so funny, called her sisters to about it.

I am sure I will be reminded of those lines for the rest of our days.:whistle:

Love to read these stories!
My plan was to make DH his favorite meal, which we have seldom because it is work intensive. Cooking is my hobby, so we go out seldom, considering the cost and that I can do better tasting and healthier at home. Unfortunately, I am in bed with the flu. He got me roses and a card, and I got him a card. The meal will have to wait for Thursday, I fear.:(
Bummer, hope you recover soon and enjoy those roses meanwhile. :flowers:

I've been trying to convince DW to become a gourmet chef but she prefers to put cooking at a slightly lower level and go out more often. Today we are going out to a French style deli sort of place for lunch. They make small, delicious cakes too. Then we will go for a walk around a local lake. For dinner she is making one of my favorite dishes which is even better as leftovers.

"Whattaya mean cooties, ain't no cooties on me..."

Dynamo Hum, Frank Zappa

Happy Valentine's day to everyone. Working late this evening , will arrive home at about 9pm so I have no plans for any special dinner.

My commentary on Valentines comes courtesy of Unknown Hinson.

But I do have to say that BigNick's story is very romantic.

The cootie remark reminded of a Valentine I got when I was in 5th grade from a boy I really liked named Buddy. It had a rhinestone on it! I removed the rhinestone and kept it, but threw away the card because I was afraid my parents wouldn't approve. Funny the things you remember more than half a century later.

The cootie remark reminded of a Valentine I got when I was in 5th grade from a boy I really liked named Buddy. It had a rhinestone on it! I removed the rhinestone and kept it, but threw away the card because I was afraid my parents wouldn't approve. Funny the things you remember more than half a century later.
Awwwww....you really were special to him. :smitten:

-------------------------------

Happy Valentine's Day.....(even to the boys who still have cooties) :-*

Last edited:
Once, before the young wife and I were married, I had roses delivered to her at the women's college she attended. I had them delivered on February 13th, because there was snow in the forecast and I wanted to be sure she would have them on Valentines. Wouldn't you know that there was, in fact, a big blizzard that night and nothing could move on the road on Valentines Day, including any flowers destined for the other girls. I was certainly "most valuable boyfriend" that day.

Since then, I have always had flowers delivered the day before, as I did yesterday.

For Ms. G. and I it is a special day 31 years of married bliss.

Eh, complete hallmark holiday.

I keep hearing this, and I don't get it. I remember Valentines Day since I was a kid, I don't think of it as a 'made up' holiday.

Now I do think that way of 'Sweetest Day' - and wikipedia agrees:

Since Sweetest Day was invented by commercial interests which stood to profit from such a holiday, dissenting Cleveland residents refer to it as a "Hallmark holiday"[9] (although it was not invented by Hallmark Cards company).

But Valentine's Day (I'm pretty sure we had to call it Saint Valentine's day at the parochial school) has been around a while (also from wiki):
The day first became associated with romantic love in the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer in the High Middle Ages, ...

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom