Join Early Retirement Today

I've Become a Computer Power Miser ... and I Like it!
Old 08-21-2018, 06:58 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've Become a Computer Power Miser ... and I Like it!

Since switching over to Windows 10, I never could get the automatic sleep settings working properly. I used to have the screen save kick in after 3 minutes, then monitor go off after 10 minutes and computer automatically sleep after 20 minutes.

Now my power management is mostly a manual process. I have a function key set to sleep when I press that. What I find now is instead of sitting around the commuter for hours waiting for an email or a FB post or new nonsense news stories, like a cat waiting for a mouse peeking at a mouse hole, the LBYM personality just puts the computer to sleep or hibernate when I know I won't be on doing anything useful on my computer for more than 10 minutes.

I almost make a game out of how long I can not use the computer throughout the day .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2018, 07:14 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Using my P3 P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor I was surprised how much power my PC drew even in sleep mode, (and even while it was off). Some days I just my Ipad. PC makers need to find a way to get power usage down to zero while off.
I did not write the numbers down but if I recall correctly my PC drew 50% of the power in sleep mode as compared to when it was on. Even while off it was drawing 10 percent of normal operating wattage, if my memory serves me correctly.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:14 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

When my computer is on sleep mode, I can still used the USB port to recharge devices. Also, the LED light on the usb connected speakers stays on.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Holy Mackerel! Our 3 computers are on 24/7.
How much does that cost @ $.10/KWH?
We DO turn off the monitors

imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:43 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

According to the DOE, sleep mode of 16 hours per day cost on average 22.2 cents per month based on 11.59 cents/kWh rate. Of all the things I spend money on, that's a pretty good value to not have to cycle the computer power every time I leave the machine.

I too did the Kill-a-watt check a couple months back. It had the opposite affect on me, as I was surprised how little energy the computers (I have 5 desktops in use everyday) and 50" plasma TV used. YMMV.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:49 AM   #6

I bought a thing where, when the computer quits drawing it's normal "on" power, the power gets cut to all the wall-wart power supplies under my desk. No need to have those pesky little things getting fed 24/7 if they're only required when I'm active on my computer. I suppose I could turn them off manually, but I realized I just didn't do it.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I bought a thing where, when the computer quits drawing it's normal "on" power, the power gets cut to all the wall-wart power supplies under my desk.
I bought one of those about five years ago. I figure in seven or eight more years it will have paid for itself.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:06 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My computer is on 24/7 to control lighting, pumps, and fans in our house. It also records TV shows with a TV tuner. And I use it for work and our daily computing tasks.

Since I sit right next to the computer all day my main focus was quiet operation so I selected components that use little energy and don't need loud fans to keep things cool.

I have a UPS power supply that shows my computer uses about 70 watts when the monitor is off, and about 80 watts when the monitor is on. That's about the same as leaving a light bulb on all day (though we're all LED's here now, so they're down to 11-15 watts each).

My computer is a very minimal portion of our total electric usage. Our water heater and well pump are probably our two biggest energy hogs, other than the wall heaters in the winter.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I bought one of those about five years ago. I figure in seven or eight more years it will have paid for itself.
I think that would apply to almost any device with a 5-6 year lifespan.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Sleep mode on desktop PCs does not save power as much as it does on a laptop. The motherboard hardware is not built the same way, nor is the power supply.

And mobile CPUs are built to be power sippers, while desktop CPUs are built for more speed.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I have adjusted my laptop power settings so that I use as much power as is humanly possible, 24 hours/day. It's so annoying to me when the laptop has to be awakened before use.

Besides, what's money for? My average monthly electric bill so far this year has been $54, and that includes air conditioning. I can afford to be a big spender like this.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Sleep mode on desktop PCs does not save power as much as it does on a laptop.
Not true.
My iMac goes from 229 Watts full-on usage down to 1 Watt in sleep mode.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

OK. The Macs work better than the PCs. No PC desktop I have ever owned does that.

About running them at high speed all the time, their fans wear out or get clogged up with dust after a couple of years. I have known people upgrading their PC or laptop just because of that. Fine with me, as I have a lot of semiconductor stocks. Somebody has to support them.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
According to the DOE, sleep mode of 16 hours per day cost on average 22.2 cents per month based on 11.59 cents/kWh rate. Of all the things I spend money on, that's a pretty good value to not have to cycle the computer power every time I leave the machine.

I too did the Kill-a-watt check a couple months back. It had the opposite affect on me, as I was surprised how little energy the computers (I have 5 desktops in use everyday) and 50" plasma TV used. YMMV.

My Dell draws about 130 watts. If I had 5 desktops running all day that would be 800 watts all day long . That is like running my microwave all day long and my room would be very hot.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:08 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I found my notes. By Dell draws 130 watts when active, 97 watts while on but idling, and 50 watts while sleeping. And most interesting, 16 watts while off but plugged in.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:36 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

When I figured my cost for 3 computers "on" 24/7 using the recommended calculator it came out to $24,018.57 per year.

Dunno the difference between watts, kilowatts, megawatts, milliwatts, and megawatts, so, I checked with Google and found this:

Quote:
Electricity ranges from about 10 cents per KWH to 20 cents in the US. So the computer on 24/7 would cost $32.40@10 cents and $64.80@ 20 cents. The computer on 100% full power capacity 24/7 would cost about $193 to $386 per year. It depends on the computer, the activity, and your cost of electricity.
Thankfully, I can handle this, 'cuz our computers "rest", most of the time.

Just realized we spend $150 on wild bird and bunny/squirrel feed EVERY year.

Time for us to go back to the drawing boards on our budget... Jeanie says she's tired of eating Ramen Noodle soup for every meal.

Somethin's gotta give!!!
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yeah, that's the math that keeps me from doing all kinds of stuff like this. My UPS gave out, though, and I actually downgraded to this thing.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My power use scheme works pretty well -
When I am finished with a session, I turn the computer off.

The router and modem also get turned off each night. I have always done it this way with no problems or longevity issues.

All of my computers run SSD's and boot up in 20-30 seconds, so no real inconvenience.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I looked at the watts via my new UPS and it's zero when sleeping. Runs at 70 to 150 when active.

No big deal.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:07 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I suppose the power used by a laptop might also depend on whether it is charging its battery or not. So usage might be different in these situations:

1. Not plugged in. Duh!

2. Plugged in, battery charged, sleeping.

3. Plugged in, battery charging, sleeping.

4. Plugged in, screen brightness set on high, keyboard brightness set on high, doing bitcoin mining, and charging the battery.

5. Same as #4, but using bluetooth, wifi, and watching videos, with fans on.

And then when you have that all figured out, you can become an Illumination miser and keep all lights off in your home because you wear a solar-charged LED headlamp for whenever you need light.

Don't forget to unscrew the light bulbs inside your fridge and freezer.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote