Join Early Retirement Today

Jack Welch, dead at 84
Old 03-02-2020, 07:36 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Jack Welch, dead at 84

Former General Electric chairman was "A life force made of love," wife says.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...es-84-n1146876
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2020, 07:46 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I guess it was the third wife...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Welch
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I guess it was the third wife...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Welch
maybe he stack ranked the former wives vs the mistress and the bottom performers had to go?

I should be nicer to the dearly departed. IMO he was a charlatan and bad for business
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:02 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Well at least he lived long enough to see what he so boastfully built fall apart. Please excuse my snark.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:10 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

He finally has enough.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hmm, it seems there is no love for him here.
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:41 AM   #7

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
IMHO - Welch popularized the worst of unchecked business practices.

Competing for a managerial position? Second and third place talented individuals are turned into pariahs - Losers have to go elsewhere. A clear indication of management culture for cohesion and teamwork.

Forced ranking every year to get rid of bottom 10% Performers? After 2 years the good ones are getting cut and the best ones leave the company developing a toxic culture.

International 'focus' - is gobbling up diverse divisions creating a better unstructured conglomerate business model? Quickly, the increased company product diversity results in bean counters having no technical savvy about the business division and it drives out of resources, talent and innovation. Look how a much slimmer present day GE is trying to unwind that mess.

A CEO with integrity and moral compass? Ha! He openly diddled his secretary and divorced his long married wife after becoming the business icon of leadership. Thpppptttt.

Strengthening the bottom line of the balance sheet? He cooked the books with GE capital to help justify his outrageous salary and stock options.

A CEO who added value to shareholders? Wonder what the stockholders think of his legacy now.

Don't get me wrong, I am a staunch capitalist who believes the means of production belong in private hands to build wealth and benefit the economy. Knuckleheads like Welch disgrace the system and destroy wealth and prosperity while they line their own pockets. The only difference between him and Bernard Ebbers is that Welch did not get caught.

Whew. Glad I got that off of my chest.

Atom
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:52 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

He always sounded good on the Sunday shows, but that was the extent of any admiration I might have had for him. Still, RIP, Jack Welch.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #9

He ranks right up there with chainsaw Al Dunlap as far as CEOs go. One of the worst CEOs of all time.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:59 PM   #10

Ah yes, Six Sigma. That overhyped load of BS. I went through that in the factory I worked at back in the 90s. We made great improvements at our plant AFTER we convinced management to stop wasting so much time training employees on the wonders of R bars, bell curves, PONC status, standard deviation, flow charts, etc.
and get back to basics!

What we did was simple. Identify a problem area, get a group of 4 or 5 people who worked in that area, meet once a week, & follow the steps posted on a plaque in our cafeteria since 1975.

1: Identify root cause.
2: Take corrective action.
3: Follow up/monitor

No BS like Six Sigma required.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #11

He's not dead, Jim. He's just an under-performing asset.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:18 PM   #12

Obviously, sustainability was not his legacy.
latexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:33 PM   #13

The forced rankings became a joke at my old employer. I don't need to beat the competition i just need to beat you. Very toxic. Bring on the clowns the guy was a joke. Too bad many good people suffered.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:35 PM   #14

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Former General Electric chairman was "A life force made of love," wife says.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...es-84-n1146876
Ack. I just read this fawning article and threw up in my mouth. What a pack of mistruths.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
St Peter: "Sorry, Jack, but we use a forced ranking here at the Pearly Gates"
Old 03-02-2020, 02:30 PM   #15

St Peter: "Sorry, Jack, but we use a forced ranking here at the Pearly Gates"

I'd add my own performance review but that would be piling on and would draw a 15-yard penalty. So I'll focus on Jack's positives.

In his defense, there is no evidence that he ever sold crack to kindergarteners. I guess that's about it.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:09 PM   #16

I worked at GE early in my career, 5 years and just long enough to be vested and have small pension. Gladly took a cash buyout offer in late 2018. I worked under Welch's time and could see then that he was not good for long term success of the corp.

In my opinion Welch was selling off the company, taking advantage of suppliers, not treating employees well, and was too short term focused. All in pursuit of profit and stock price. Sure the stock price did well, but at what long term expense? I think we all know how that worked out.

I won't say good riddance, trying to be nice and will just say hopefully history will show lessons learned to prevent similar actions.

Found this article which was interesting in that it does not sugar coat the Welch legacy:
Jack Welch Inflicted Great Damage on Corporate America
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/j...172844562.html

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:58 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Jack Welch? Quite the opposite from James Sinegal, the humble former CEO of Costco, who managed to take care of employees, customers, and shareholders at the same time.

Jack Welch said he cared about shareholder value, but it was really about his stock options. But then, he is not the only CEO with this selfish and egocentric trait. Nothing unusual here. He was simply among the more celebrated and revered ones.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:07 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

The CEO at the MegaCorp I worked at totally bought in to the Welch system. So Welch managed to drag down other companies as well. I know nothing of him personally so I'll stop there.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:53 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
The CEO at the MegaCorp I worked at totally bought in to the Welch system.........
Same here. Those forced ranking, fire the bottom 10% years were especially rough. Zero remorse cashing my fat pension checks.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:59 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Jack Welch? Quite the opposite from James Sinegal, the humble former CEO of Costco, who managed to take care of employees, customers, and shareholders at the same time.

Jack Welch said he cared about shareholder value, but it was really about his stock options. But then, he is not the only CEO with this selfish and egocentric trait. Nothing unusual here. He was simply among the more celebrated and revered ones.
Yes, unfortunately his high profile popularized that management style, and it hasn’t been good for American business IMO.