Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2019, 12:52 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It is obvious that his new woman, Lauren Sanchez, is smitten by his good looks.

There wouldn't be any other reason that Ms. Sanchez would be interested in Bezos, besides the physical attraction. Correct?

Or it could be his sense of humor. Or his muscular physique.

Yes, those must be the reasons.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2019, 03:54 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I liked the article all the way until the end. Why bring Trump into it? Does everything and anything have to involve Trump?
+1. Indeed!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Looks like he won't be the richest man in the world.
Although he might be the most eligible bachelor
... and his ex the most eligible bachelorette! You never who know you might meet if you swipe left (or swipe right - whichever way it is).
Old 01-10-2019, 08:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad View Post
It is obvious that his new woman, Lauren Sanchez, is smitten by his good looks.

There wouldn't be any other reason that Ms. Sanchez would be interested in Bezos, besides the physical attraction. Correct?

Or it could be his sense of humor. Or his muscular physique.

Yes, those must be the reasons.
Watch out the judge judys of ER are going to shut this one down too

You're not allowed to share your opinions or even state facts...unless they make others feel warm and fuzzy.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
Watch out the judge judys of ER are going to shut this one down too

You're not allowed to share your opinions...unless they make others feel warm and fuzzy.
You and Mr Tightwad are real one trick ponies, why don't you give it a rest? BTW it is against forum rules to make negative comment about mods and moderator decisions.

I don't know if these are your deeply held beliefs about woman and marriage of if you are just trying to poke the bear, but not amusing to anyone but you.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
You and Mr Tightwad are real one trick ponies, why don't you give it a rest? BTW it is against forum rules to make negative comment about mods and moderator decisions.
Good one! Call me names and then incite the mods against me

Quote:
I don't know if these are your deeply held beliefs about woman and marriage of if you are just trying to poke the bear, but not amusing to anyone but you.
Or perhaps you should use the Ignore button since we're not amusing you
Old 01-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #27

As with the other thread on divorce, this one is quickly devolving into sniping and not adding value to the forums. Keep it up and the same outcome will happen quicker here.

Instead, if you have relevant commentary to ADD to the specific topic that you believe is helpful to the ER community, please post accordingly.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I agree a lot of the divorce talk here last couple of days has evolved into sniping.

However I hope that these high profile divorces serve as a helpful reminder for prospective newlyweds that they need to think through the potential financial and legal implications of marriage before signing the papers.

So much time and money is spent on the wedding and other bells and whistles. Why not drop a few hundred for a couple hours with a family law attorney too? It’s far less than would be spent for two lawyers and a divorce later on.

Nobody thinks a divorce or unhappy marriage is going to happen to them. But it happens a lot!!
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #29

@truenorth418, I understand what you're saying there but the outcome won't change unless the laws change and the laws won't change unless people are open to seeing that they're outdated, unfair and don't work in 2019.

Pre-nups are easily challenged and side stepped. However, I think in the case of Bezos they probably do have trusts and plenty of LLCs etc to stash money away into. Regardless neither of them (nor several of their generations) will ever have to worry about going broke even after the assets are halved.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
I agree a lot of the divorce talk here last couple of days has evolved into sniping.

However I hope that these high profile divorces serve as a helpful reminder for prospective newlyweds that they need to think through the potential financial and legal implications of marriage before signing the papers.

So much time and money is spent on the wedding and other bells and whistles. Why not drop a few hundred for a couple hours with a family law attorney too? It’s far less than would be spent for two lawyers and a divorce later on.

Nobody thinks a divorce or unhappy marriage is going to happen to them. But it happens a lot!!
These last two examples are real world examples of stuff happening MMM and his Mrs were young. worked hard, retired early and his blog exploded. Bezos hadn't even started Amazon when they married. How would you possibly account for this in a pre-nup.. In fact given the length of both marriages and the fact they both had kids there would be financial issues to manage anyway. After several decades and kids you can't just kick someone out the door with nothing.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
These last two examples are real world examples of stuff happening MMM and his Mrs were young. worked hard, retired early and his blog exploded. Bezos hadn't even started Amazon when they married. How would you possibly account for this in a pre-nup.. In fact given the length of both marriages and the fact they both had kids there would be financial issues to manage anyway. After several decades and kids you can't just kick someone out the door with nothing.
Mr. B lives in a community property state (Washington I assume) and with all this wealth being acquired after marriage, I think it is obvious that 1/2 of it is hers. Poor Mr. B may lose 400+ Billion on the deal. Think of how that feels! Perhaps we should start a Go Fund Me for him?

The tone of their announcement indicates that Mr. and Mrs. B are going to copy some of we divorced folks, and not let the divorce destroy what they have created. It sounds like they are of one mind in terms of keeping Amazon a strong going concern. Good for them.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

The world has changed. Waiting for our laws and customs and attitudes to catch up IMO is foolish for whichever group has lost power.

The best approach for anyone who might be concerned about loss is fairly clear I think. Still, many will not see this or will value other aspects over increased money safety when going into a relationship.

Life seems to require a fair amount of pain and risk overall, and how much anyone wishes to try to mitigate this depends on so many things. Also, the rules change over time. People in my age group married in a different legal and behavioral and public-attitudes regime, and few if any of us could have foreseen today's conditions.

One possible curve ball for the near future might involve broadening and re-defining "palimony". It may happen that you are not married, but if you live together, or whatever else might get pushed through, and shazam, there goes a bit chunk of your money if you want to exit.

Some posters have stressed that marriage is a contract. I guess, but the terms are always open to change and these changes will be applied to those who acted in accordance with the old "contract".

Ha
Old 01-10-2019, 11:29 AM   #33

They showed photos of Mrs. Bezos on tv yesterday and said she's had 4 kids. The woman sitting next to me said it's not fair. Billions of dollars and a figure like that after 4 kids.

<BarryWhiteVoice>MacKenzie, your the woman I want.
I'm all the man you need.</BarryWhiteVoice>
Old 01-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #34

They only have three biological kids. All sons. They adopted a daughter.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
They only have three biological kids. All sons. They adopted a daughter.
Having two daughters ruined my figure. And my wife was doing the heavy lifting.
GravitySucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
The financial implications of divorce (and child support, which is a separate matter) often come as a surprise to the divorced party who ends up paying.

The young couple ought to understand the financial implications years earlier, before they sign the marriage papers in the first place. Marriage is likely to be one of the most significant financial decisions they ever make, for better or worse.

When I sign any important contract, I have a lawyer take a look at it first and explain it to me so I fully understand it and I'm not surprised later on. Maybe I won't sign it after all if I don't like all the terms.

I suspect a lot of people wouldn't go through with the marriage if they really understood what could happen to them if it doesn't work out.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Having two daughters ruined my figure. And my wife was doing the heavy lifting.
Lol.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
When I sign any important contract, I have a lawyer take a look at it first and explain it to me so I fully understand it and I'm not surprised later on. Maybe I won't sign it after all if I don't like all the terms.

How did the timeshare salesman react to that statement lol. I asked for the prenup but DW said no way, she had a figure better than MacKenzies, a good heart and I loved her so I said to hell with my half, I'll do it for us.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #39

Instead of consulting an attorney, or lifting a finger in any of the other matters suggested, avoiding marriage solves everything. And is 100% effective at preventing divorce.

I have never had to send an alimony payment.

Mr. Tightwad, not sniping now or ever. Just saying things certain people don't want to hear.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

So Mr. T you found someone to have 2 kids with you and they are fine with no marriage? You would still owe child support if you guys split.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote