Join Early Retirement Today

Jimmy Connors and tennis
Old 09-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Jimmy Connors and tennis

Did anyone else enjoy the clips they showed yesterday-or was it Saturday? Seeing that next to today's game makes today's players seem like accountants to me.
Although I hated some of his on-court behavior toward umpires and linespersons, nobody I ever saw hit the ball with such joy. I saw him in person many times, once on an outside court at the US Open where he was sometimes as close as 6 feet from me while the ball was in play. He very seldom took a mathematical calculation to go for a ball--it seemed irrelevant to him whether he was up 5 love, 40 love, or down by the same. Went for EVERY ball.
I've had other faves-Sampras, Roddick, someone whose name I can't recall at this moment. But for their game, Connors stands alone.
Opinions?
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Didn't see the clips..but at a time, he was the face of American tennis.

Brings back memories to when I was in college.

Either you were a Connors fan or McEnroe fan. Oh yeah..there also was some guy named Borg in the mix too
Old 09-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou
Did anyone else enjoy the clips they showed yesterday-or was it Saturday? Seeing that next to today's game makes today's players seem like accountants to me.
Although I hated some of his on-court behavior toward umpires and linespersons, nobody I ever saw hit the ball with such joy. I saw him in person many times, once on an outside court at the US Open where he was sometimes as close as 6 feet from me while the ball was in play. He very seldom took a mathematical calculation to go for a ball--it seemed irrelevant to him whether he was up 5 love, 40 love, or down by the same. Went for EVERY ball.
I've had other faves-Sampras, Roddick, someone whose name I can't recall at this moment. But for their game, Connors stands alone.
Opinions?
My all time favorite athlete. He really played to the crowd. Will never forget the 91 open run to the semis. Remember the all-time greatest point against Paul Haarhuis in 91 when he was backed up against the wall hitting what 4 moon balls before getting back into the point to win it? In the top 10 for almost 20 years. Not the greatest player ever, but the most tenacious.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

He was to tennis what Pete Rose was to baseball and Larry Bird to basketball - guys that had talent but not necessarily as much talent as some of their peers but who worked their butts off to be at the echelon of their sports through grit and determination and never giving up.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Remember Ilie Nastase? He was another character that could really play the game. His temper got in his way a few times though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ilie2.jpg (5.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 09-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52
Remember Ilie Nastase? He was another character that could really play the game. His temper got in his way a few times though.
A definite character, nicknamed Nasty Nastase. I remember several times his picture in the newspaper from playing tennis with his middle finger fuzzed out while saluting the official linesman.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I remember that magical run in 1991 Connors had. He beat Jimmy Arias in a great match, too.

I saw Nastase play in a Seniors match at the U.S. Open in the mid-1990s. It was on one of the outer courts where the fans can sit right behind the players in the few rows of seats there. It was very hot that day and Nastase wanted to play without his shirt. When some of us said that he should, he told us he would be fined. But when some of us said we would pay the fine he just laughed with all of us. Funny day at the Open.

I was a big McEnroe fan although when Connors was playing someone other than McEnroe I rooted for Connors.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Don't know if it's true or rumor, but didn't Nastase one time clock a ball boy with a serve on purpose because he said the boy was too distracting to him?

That's what my brother said when I was younger, but I never could tell if my brother was just telling a tall tale or not.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I remember in the past year or so Bleacher Report I believe had the top ten tennis players of all time. Connors was not on the list which I found incredible. He has about 105 career victories which no one was within 30 of that total. He had 8 majors, but rarely played the Australian Open during his peak years. He has the second longest streak of weeks at number one only passed by Federer. Probably some teenage blogger who wrote it.