Joan Rivers has died

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I couldn't stand the woman, but I hope she will rest in peace. She had one surgical procedure too many.

The plastic surgeon's work is done, time for a taxidermist.

I have a hard time reading these "RIP" posts. There's nothing wrong with them, they just make me sad. A quirk of mine.

Joan Rivers entertained a whole lot of people.

I have a hard time reading these "RIP" posts. There's nothing wrong with them, they just make me sad. A quirk of mine.

Joan Rivers entertained a whole lot of people.

Then don't read them.

I really didn't follow her career or comedy act as I found her kind of humor too abrasive.

That said, during the news of the week, I saw the coverage of an 81 year old woman, who went to a clinic of what was thought as routine then ending up on life support and died, with her daughter and grandson having to deal with the sudden loss.

From that perspective, it is sad and scary.

She had one surgical procedure too many.
Yes, an endoscopy, which would seem to be much lower risk than her many plastic surgeries. I wonder why an 81 YO (with money) would go to a small outpatient facility for something like this. Full sedation always carries some risks, I'd want the deck stacked in my favor if I could.
Preliminary reports make it sound like they lost the airway and did not reestablish it for a significant period of time prior to her going into cardiac arrest.

Yes, an endoscopy, which would seem to be much lower risk than her many plastic surgeries. I wonder why an 81 YO (with money) would go to a small outpatient facility for something like this. Full sedation always carries some risks, I'd want the deck stacked in my favor if I could.
Preliminary reports make it sound like they lost the airway and did not reestablish it for a significant period of time prior to her going into cardiac arrest.

Agree completely. The clinic is being investigated. I would not want to be the ENT surgeon or the anesthesiologist.

I wish Harold Ramis were still around, but RIP, Joan. I wonder if she will be turned into a saint now.

She wasn't my cup of tea either although I must admit to occasionally watching a little of "Fashion Police" (a new low, I know). She could be funny at times in a rude, crude, over-the-top sort of way and I am surprised that she did not get sued for slander considering some of the things that came out of her mouth. There must be a lot of latitude for "comedy". I feel certain that if something like this happened to another well-known person she would have pounced at the opportunity to turn it into fodder for a few jokes.

Years ago she wrote a book called "Still Talking " . It was written after her husband committed suicide . It was basically a book on grieving and getting through it . I read it after my husband died and found myself laughing and crying along with Joan Rivers . May she rest in peace !

I like her. But I like brassy Jewish women. Kind of an antidote to the phony sweetness that many women affected where I grew up.

Ha

Everything that I have read about her on a personal level seems to indicate that she was a very nice person (one-on-one). I don't find her comedy offensive when she poked fun at herself ("tears of the clown" I guess). But she could really say some shocking things about others on Fashion Police. You could see Giuliana and Kelly Osborne squirm, but I'm sure they knew she nailed the ratings. I think her famous come back was "Oh, get over it".

The publications all indicate that she was a tenacious, very hard working lady who broke ground for women in stand up comedy circles and I believe that. If I lived in a 29 million dollar NYC apartment I doubt that I would be running here, there and everywhere still working like she did and I give her credit for that.

I always liked Joan Rivers. I thought her jokes were great. Her timing was brilliant, and although her jokes were often at the expense of others, they were even more often aimed at herself. The 2010 documentary about her, "Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work" was pretty good. She worked incredibly hard.

My favorite Joan Rivers: "I stuck my ATM card in the machine, the message read, 'Kill her at once!'"

Were it not for her I'd have never known of the maculine attributes of certain apparent females.

I liked that she never pulled her punches. And never apologized for playing hardball.

RIP

I didn't like her - one of those snap decisions probably based on one of those award red carpet things she did.

But then I heard one of her comedy routines & loved her! She was abrasive, but oh, so funny.

I liked her early. She was unique, a female version of Rodney Dangerfield. Good bye, Joan Rivers. RIP.

Everything that I have read about her on a personal level seems to indicate that she was a very nice person (one-on-one).
The publications all indicate that she was a tenacious, very hard working lady who broke ground for women in stand up comedy circles and I believe that. ...

I never really cared for her brash, often crude humor. But I listened to a live interview, maybe just a year or two ago, and I really liked her on a personal level. She was tough and worked her way up in a male dominated field. She didn't have it easy, and she had a lot of success. I can't understand wanting all that surgery, but what the heck, her choice.

-ERD50

I didn't like her - one of those snap decisions probably based on one of those award red carpet things she did.

But then I heard one of her comedy routines & loved her! She was abrasive, but oh, so funny.

Phyllis Diller was also someone who could rub people the wrong way, but I got a lot of respect for her after hearing her on a Fresh Air interview. She was very smart, approached her job like a craft (describing how jokes were written, what types of delivery worked for various types of set-ups, etc) and she earned every bit of her success.

Joan Rivers was polarizing....you loved her or hated her. Few people just shrugged her off. I thought she was brilliant. I heard that many celebrities wanted to be mentioned by her in her act. Made them relevant I guess.

I just hope she didn't have fear or pain at the end.

I appreciated her work ethic and non-apologetic brashness.... she commanded attention..

Attachments

• NJus9sQ.jpg
    NJus9sQ.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 8
Agree completely. The clinic is being investigated. I would not want to be the ENT surgeon or the anesthesiologist.

Was there one? For many "minor" office procedures, sedation is given by the surgeon or a nurse. I have only heard a bit about her sad passing.

FWIW- I enjoyed her humor, but then I like Don Rickles too.
RIP JR.

Last edited:
Her funeral will get the red carpet treatment on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom