Job Burnout? what did you do to change it?

to the top...

Just put the words virtual assistant into Google for lots of sources.

I once posted a proposal for work at International Virtual Assistants Association and got several responses. I then narrowed it down to the final candidate and had her do some samples of work.

For info on hiring a virtual assistant for less money (out of say, India) read the outsourcing chapter in the Timothy Ferriss book titled "The 4-Hour Work Week".

I know an author/freelancer in Maryland who has had a virtual assistant in Florida for years.

Not only will you probably like having the help on the reports, just making this move may help you feel more empowered and in control. It will also rescue some brainwaves needed to reflect on your situation.

FWIW

spncity

spincity, Thanx for the info and website, I will certainly check this out regardless what I do, this could be helpfull in about any situation or job/business.

The plot thickens with this work situation though, more BS stuff to do as of tonite, geez!

Me too...

I reached job burnout in Manufacturing a few years ago and it's really gotten awful lately. It's a good company/job/pay/bennies and I am lucky to have the job - but I've been doing it long enough that there is no challenge left and it's mind-numbingly boring. I've been approached about moving up to VP but I don't want any part of that --- most of them have lots of money and perks (and travel) but they don't have lives from what I can tell, no thanks. So I am networking with my Sales contacts and thinking seriously about finishing my career there to hold on to pay (or close enough), bennies and vacation in an industry that I already know well. Are there other career paths at your current company that might revive you? However, I am FI and only intend to work 5-8 more years, not your 20.

FWIW, nothing wrong with asking others what they think. But where I used to ask such questions thinking someone else would have the holy grail answer, I've concluded no one can answer for you, only you can know when it's right for you - all things considered. If you're burned out and don't make a change, it means you weren't satisfied it was time. When it is, you will jump without someone having to push you. Note the quote below, something I think of often...good luck.

Last edited:
I reached job burnout in Manufacturing a few years ago and it's really gotten awful lately. It's a good company/job/pay/bennies and I am lucky to have the job - but I've been doing it long enough that there is no challenge left and it's mind-numbingly boring. I've been approached about moving up to VP but I don't want any part of that --- most of them have lots of money and perks (and travel) but they don't have lives from what I can tell, no thanks. So I am networking with my Sales contacts and thinking seriously about finishing my career there to hold on to pay (or close enough), bennies and vacation in an industry that I already know well. Are there other career paths at your current company that might revive you? However, I am FI and only intend to work 5-8 more years, not your 20.

FWIW, nothing wrong with asking others what they think. But where I used to ask such questions thinking someone else would have the holy grail answer, I've concluded no one can answer for you, only you can know when it's right for you - all things considered. If you're burned out and don't make a change, it means you weren't satisfied it was time. When it is, you will jump without someone having to push you. Note the quote below, something I think of often...good luck.

midpack, yes it is a tough decision and only I can really make it, I do seem numb with the job and that should be telling me something!

I often think (specially lately) I am flat out scared:eek: to pull the trigger.... there I said it! .... and yes I seen your sig ... you only live once.

Xtradoe,

Your issues are not unique. Many of us worked in industries that mandated extensive reporting at all levels of the organization. Hundreds of them a year and many of them to governmental agencies. So I feel your pain.

I think you have to understand why you are dreading your job beyond the reports. I sense you fear where you company is headed and that adds to your anxiety. Been there done that, have the scars to prove it.

Burnout is a dangerous thing for some folks. It can make you do things you might not do otherwise. It makes your life look dull and grey but it is an illusion. I have worked two very high stress jobs at the some time and I was already "crispy" with burnout long before that happened. I was already FI but I chose to stick it out for personal reasons. Be careful in your decisions. Make sure you do things for the right reason.

If you employeer is really headed for the trash heap than get out now. If not, you have some time to find what you really want to do; stay or go. If you stay you need to find a way to redirect your negative feelings into creating a fire in your belly. You need to want to do some aspect of your job that brings you some kind of personal gratification. Without it you will be very unhappy and your home life will reflect it. If you can't change the job then change how you do it. Get the VP, find ways to expand your job into areas you enjoy. That will help you endure the stuff you don't like i.e., reports.

Not having a degree would have been the kiss of death in my former industry. Not sure what impact is has in yours but if it prevents you from leaving then maybe it is time to get that degree. I had several folks working for me that were working full time and taking classes towards their degree. It is done all the time and the long term benefits to you could be very great.

There is no magic wand to make you like all part of your job. Sometimes we just have to find ways to prevent burnout. Nobody is making you burnout but yourself. Take action now or the next 20 years are going to seem like tortue.

Xtradoe, in my experience, sales orgs increase the reporting and weekly (daily) reviews when sales are not what they should be (by whoever, and whatever criteria they are using, usually quota or revenue). The guys on top start to inspect everything and that 'rolls down hill'. In todays economy (although I am a little bit dated, having been out of it for 7 months now), this is not unusual.

I was fortunate in that I had at least 5 distinct 'careers' at megacorp. Each one was different enough and challenging enough so that I never got bored or burnt out. I did get stressed a lot though. I had 5 weeks of vacation for the last 10 years and actually took it all in the final 5 years (those of you w*rkaholics at megacorps can surely relate to this).

I found that taking a 3 or 4 week vacation helped me chill down enough to get back into the fray. You may want to see if you can take a long vacation and just chill. See if that helps put your head back in the game. If not, see the next two ideas. Hopefully this one does it.

An alternative is to see if you can get into another part of the business. This way you can use your knowledge of the company and it's products, ...etc. to help in other areas. The new job learning curve should help you get over burnout.

Finally, if you want to stay in sales, you can always leverage your success so far and get a new job at a new company ... the change could be what you need. However, be aware, that the same reporting and sales reviews will probably be in the new place too.

Good luck on your decision.

It appears to me that I am suffering from job burnout, some of it is because the last couple yrs. they have required us to do about seven different reports every quarter that range from a points system report on what we sold to what they call a individual learning plan, now I am not saying these are not good, but I just plain dread alot of reports, we are sales reps, not reporting junkies! we also have weekly call reports due every week and expense reports (I totally understand the expense report and have no problem with that one)
My hobbies are cars, trucks, anything with a motor or anything that goes with the car and motorcycle culture, etc.

The way things are going you arent going to make 20 more years.My cousin was in a similar situation as you,working for a big Company (Air Canada)in some managerial capacity and after 20yrs he hated it and realized he would be burned out if he continued for another 20yrs,like you he was into bikes and trucks so at 40yrs old he resigned from the company and bought a Harley and enrolled in a truck driving course,its now 10yrs later and he's been driving big trucks all over North America for quite some time and he is very happy with his life.

if you still like sales in general, consider transfering your sales expertise to another industry/company.

I would also suggest getting a degree. The local community college, while maybe not quite as flexible as online programs, is a good, relatively inexpensive way to start. They may also be able to give you credit for certain life experiences - moving the whole process along.

A lifetime of stress and depression in this job are not going to be conducive to future good health,you need to start working on a plan-b.

A lifetime of stress and depression in this job are not going to be conducive to future good health,you need to start working on a plan-b.

Great point! I think I hear sabbactical calling louder & louder! shhhh do you hear it??:)

Thanks all!

Just wanted to say thanks for the good feedback!
Not sure what the final decision will be, but I will keep you posted.

mini-sabbatical

Sorry for the late response -- just saw this post. I definitely second the "mini-sabbatical" idea. I was close to being burned out last year, so I took three weeks off in Dec/January to go to Central America and study Spanish. (between that and Christmas, I basically was off for 4 weeks)

I can't tell you how much it changed my attitude. Things that used to bother me now seem so trivial that I don't even care. The trip showed me so much about the rest of the world that I now feel much more satisfied with my life. Perhaps it's passive, but I've recognized that 20% of my job is going to be terrible no matter what, so when things are bad, I write it off as those 20% and put it behind me.

I've also come to realize that if I can take a trip like this to "recharge" and try on a different perspective every winter, I can last many years longer in my current job than I previously thought. It turned a crisis situation into a (hopefully) sustainable one. The only thing I would change is to make it longer -- I think 4-8 weeks would be great. If you can pull it off, even if it is leave without pay, it is worth it.

Sorry for the late response -- just saw this post. I definitely second the "mini-sabbatical" idea. I was close to being burned out last year, so I took three weeks off in Dec/January to go to Central America and study Spanish. (between that and Christmas, I basically was off for 4 weeks)

I can't tell you how much it changed my attitude. Things that used to bother me now seem so trivial that I don't even care. The trip showed me so much about the rest of the world that I now feel much more satisfied with my life. Perhaps it's passive, but I've recognized that 20% of my job is going to be terrible no matter what, so when things are bad, I write it off as those 20% and put it behind me.

I've also come to realize that if I can take a trip like this to "recharge" and try on a different perspective every winter, I can last many years longer in my current job than I previously thought. It turned a crisis situation into a (hopefully) sustainable one. The only thing I would change is to make it longer -- I think 4-8 weeks would be great. If you can pull it off, even if it is leave without pay, it is worth it.

Pretty sure as I stated earlier I doubt I can take a sabbactical without leaving, now I could use my vacation up possibly but that would throw up red flags ..... but if I end up leaving what would it matter?

I think I am beyond a short leave, I think I am tired and really tired of the internal politics and B.S that seems never ending.

Thanks for your input.

xtradoe, if you're an experienced sales guy, you don't need a college degree, just a different place to practice your craft. Sales is the most results oriented job you could have, and any company that relies on outside sales would be fortunate to have you. Also, sales is sales (to paraphrase a chicken parts commercial). If you're good, you can do it at A as easily as B.

Some companies end up overmanaging their sales force with endless reports and checkups. They are not needed. If you're the best sales guy they have, and your numbers are consistently over the top and very profitable, they shouldn't care if you spend half your day at Starbucks.

The downside of this is that you must perform. A company that doesn't micromanage the sales force trims the deadwood rentlessley. If you can survive and thrive in that environment, you can be very, very financially successful.

I went from a farmer teetering on the brink of bankruptcy at 40 to FIRE at 64 next year. ( How's THAT for a carreer change?;)) It was hard work, but I made myself the best sales rep in the company, and even though I do have to do a few reports, they pretty much leave me alone. A year and a half of college, but no degree.

They subscribe to the theory that you can't overpay a sales rep, as the more you pay him, the more he's making the company.

So, again, in my opinion you don't need a degree, just a different employer......

So, again, in my opinion you don't need a degree, just a different employer......

Puzzley, I think you hit the nail dead center, specifically the last 2 words.
Nice to hear you made a successful transition back in your 40's, what type of business/sales are you in and what geographic area? .... Thanks for posting.

xtradoe:

I totally understand where you are coming from. I myself am tired of the megacorp bs and am the low person on the totem pole....I cannot imagine being in mangement here!
I would say taht you start nurturing your personal life and start spending some time on your hobbies and such....outsource the mundane assignments to a virtual assistant---those two things will give you a bounce in your step.
Try this for 3 months and see if you feel better....if not, then you know that you need to find greener pastures.

I am doing this myself right now......

Xtradoe, If you're feeling burned out, it's time to move on. I don't think that bells and whistles like a VA will help.

For too many years I stayed in a career that I hated, only because of the pay and benefits, and eventually I lost my nerve to do something about the direction that my life was heading.

Finally I was able to retire, but looking back, I know now that I should have nipped the problem in the bud early on. I was too chickens**t to take that step. Don't fall into a trap where you will come to hate your job even more. Retrain if necessary, but start taking steps to revitalze yourself now.

Well .... Here's an update!

Update:

After sitting down with a good friend, we talked about my situation, one, I am in no place to be able to retire early, so after weighing pros and cons, for now I am going to make the move up North to a different territory, like my friend said it may be enough to spark a bit of newness to get me going and unstuck.

I looked at a couple jobs but wasnt interested in what they were looking for, so I think for now I am going to focus on the move, making the best of it and maybe buying some real estate since it is a buyers market, there are some real deals up there.

I have given myself the two year time frame, I need to try this for at least two years and if I buy something soon and decide in two yrs. I am hating it, I think the market will recover enough so I could get my money out of it and move on or move on and rent the property out until it gets better.

Something my friend pointed out that may help is I have never been a home owner, I have lived a very care free lifestyle renting...... my friend says home ownership may change alot of where I am at mentally too.

One thing is for sure, my job pretty secure, although maybe some things I dont like about it,job security is pretty good, and I do have very solid income, with insurance, co.car, a 401K which they contribute 4%, there are going to be guys retiring, and that even makes it more stable and as my boss said, we wouldnt be moving you if you were someone that was on the chopping block, they have put up some money and will be paying for the move and all costs etc.

So I just thought I would update those that have commented and were wondering what I decided, for now I have decided I still want a steady income,stability and maybe even some real estate!

Thanks & Regards,

Kudos to you for making a change that may enable you to be happy. I hope everything works out ok...and yeah keep us posted. :)

Puzzley, I think you hit the nail dead center, specifically the last 2 words.
Nice to hear you made a successful transition back in your 40's, what type of business/sales are you in and what geographic area? .... Thanks for posting.

xtradoe, sorry for not posting this sooner, but I'm in insurance sales, and my territory is Ohio, although I live in KY. (Yes, lots of travel involved....)

What Next!?

Now the company is waffling on the expense portion the agreed too for the move? what a joke this is getting to be!

Maybe I will be leaving this outfit!?

Update! .....

Well I have made the move and I know somene here said this would happen and it did, THE MOVE MADE NO DIFFERENCE!

I am just plain burnt out and just basically dreading the grind, the customers are nice up here and they are very receptive to me, but it is the same old grind and I am just not feeling it at all, I really want to jump off the wagon.

I have this place leased for another 4 months and have considered sub leasing the place if I could.

The economy sucks here & pretty much all over and I am not sure what I would/will do but I guess at this point not sure I care, not a good state to be in I know, but what can I say its the truth.

Thanks for reading my venting! ........ Now what?

When I got job burnout....I threw my retirement papers in from being in the Navy for 20+ years.

Don't regret it one bit!

Well I have made the move and I know somene here said this would happen and it did, THE MOVE MADE NO DIFFERENCE!

I am just plain burnt out and just basically dreading the grind, the customers are nice up here and they are very receptive to me, but it is the same old grind and I am just not feeling it at all, I really want to jump off the wagon.

I have this place leased for another 4 months and have considered sub leasing the place if I could.

The economy sucks here & pretty much all over and I am not sure what I would/will do but I guess at this point not sure I care, not a good state to be in I know, but what can I say its the truth.

Thanks for reading my venting! ........ Now what?
If going back to the same old grind was fun, everyone would want to do it and it wouldn't pay as well... :D

Guess you have to decide which of your possible futures appeals more to you. With retirement in mind, I would suggest that you think long term rather than immediate gratification.

Don't quit unless you have another job lined up. Regardless of experience, not having a degree these days limits you greatly. It may seem bad for you right now but trust me it could be much worse. If I quit my job right now it would probably take several months to find a job that paid 25K/yr starting. Don't jump ship unless you have a plan.

Back
Top Bottom