John Kenneth Galbraith

Maximillion

Full time employment: Posting here.
JKB passed away , at age 97, born on a small Farm in Ontario, he became one of the most influential economists and advisors of our time.

"Under Capitalism, man exploits man. Under Communism, it's just the opposite"

"More people die in the United Staes of too much food than of too little"

"There are differances between Republicans and Democrats, but the most important differance is that Democrats do willingly what Republicans do reluctantly because there is no alternative"

"The only function of economic prediction is to make Astrology look respectable"

R.I.P.

More Galbraith quotes:

"Nothing is so admirable in politics as a short memory."
"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

My favorite:

"The happiest time of anyone's life is just after the first divorce."

John Kenneth Galbraith would have been 100 this week.

".....the financial crisis sweeping the world is proving John Kenneth Galbraith was right - about the dangers of hyper-capitalism, the excesses of Wall Street, and the madness of financial deregulation.

"He saw the whole thing as a march of folly and continued to write about it up to his last book published in 2005," says James Galbraith, an occasional adviser to the Barack Obama campaign, and who carries the torch for the ideas of his father, who died in April, 2006."

reportonbusiness.com: Galbraith clan could raise a double toast

and of course 2008 is not 1929.....

History lessons: Galbraith's 'The Great Crash 1929' is still essential reading today - Business Analysis & Features, Business - The Independent

and there's no point in crying over spilt milk....

Galbraith a prophet we ought to heed - Opinion - Editorial - General - The Canberra Times

but I'm guessing "The Great Crash" (1955) will be on the required reading list at business school next term.

Thanks for reviving the thread. This guy sounds very interesting.
I went to B school and I never heard of him.

I will get some of his books. The Crash of 1929 sounds interesting.

Free to Canoe

right on:
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.

I went to B school and I never heard of him.
Free to canoe, see above.

I remember seeing him several times on William F Buckleys Firing Line,what a pleasure it was to listen to the man talk.

Back
Top Bottom