John Madden dead at 85 today

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
Sorry to see him pass on. He was great for the sport.

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/4355417/john-madden-dead-nfl-statement/

“On behalf of the entire NFL family, we extend our condolences to Virginia, Mike, Joe and their families,” said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

“We all know him as the Hall of Fame coach of the Oakland Raiders and broadcaster who worked for every major network, but more than anything, he was a devoted husband, father and grandfather.”

Madden was also the namesake of the famous “Madden” video game franchise.

He led the Raiders to victory against the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl XI and finished his career with a 103-32-7 record.

Another icon gone. RIP

My favorite saying of his: "Never mind that the horse is blind, just load the wagon".

He used to tell that to his team to fire them up.

Just last week I was recalling the 'Immaculate Reception' game which was almost 50 years ago and I can still remember watching with my Dad and family friends just before Christmas that year. Madden was on the losing side that day to another great coach but both coaches went on to win Super Bowls with their teams.

He was a great coach and commentator. RIP.

When I hear the phrase "Boom!", I think of him.

Also remember that he didn't fly so traveled by bus to all the games.

Very sad. Odd timing; they just broadcast that special about him this past Christmas Day. I enjoyed him so much during his broadcasting days.

It is sad. I watched the "All Madden" documentary on Christmas day and it brought tears to my eyes. It's well worth watching when they repeat it, which I'm sure they will do given he just passed. A great man both on the field and off.

RIP. A good man and great entertainer.

Frankly, he was a huge factor in growing the game. His broadcasting was accessible to everyone, and infectious. The experience of watching football on TV has gone downhill since he left.

As for his pre-TV career, all I remember is looking at him along the sidelines beat my Bears. It was 1976 and Walter Payton was an emerging superstar. He gave the Raiders a run for their money. The Raiders went on to win the Superbowl, yet a mediocre Bears team almost got them.

Through binoculars, I remember Madden pacing the sideline, with that iconic tag swinging from his big-man Haggar slacks. It was a hell of a game. It was a quirk that I was there live. I think my uncle didn't like how cold it was so he gave me the ticket.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear.... At least he got to call the games when football was a great sport. Sports like football (and NASCAR) have changed (the rules) so much they are just not the same.

RIP John....

I remember him best from his coaching days. I watched his Raider team "edge" the Vikings in a Super Bowl when I was a kid. He paced the sidelines waiving his arms while Bud Grant stood like a statue. That was great football.

He was an investor in East Bay real estate for many years. Liked the Walnut Creek to Pleasanton area. The sons were involved as well. Red Bear Properties headquartered in Pleasanton...

I remember him best from his coaching days. I watched his Raider team "edge" the Vikings in a Super Bowl when I was a kid. He paced the sidelines waiving his arms while Bud Grant stood like a statue. That was great football.

I think that's why I remember that Bears game so well. In my mind's eye, I remember putting the binoculars on him and he was a good 3 yards onto the field, constantly. Very animated, with that iconic tag on his waste blowing in the breeze. The current rules practically put the coach in a box these days.

Back
Top Bottom