JPMorganChase telling the truth to its customers

Nick12

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In the news Chase advising why clients bank account balances are so low and advising clients in next steps

Make coffee at home
Eat food that's already in the fridge
You don't need a cab. It's only three blocks.

Too funny...

Yep and the PC police have already slammed them and they've removed the motivational tweet.

idk, I didn't think it was that funny...making fun of your customers is not very smart. Its assumes that most folks with a low net worth are in that position because they are frivolously overspending.

From a bank that charges quite high fees on the typical account, and got a huge bail out and pays its C-suite very well, it was tone deaf.

Last edited:
In the news Chase advising why clients bank account balances are so low and advising clients in next steps

Make coffee at home
Eat food that's already in the fridge
You don't need a cab. It's only three blocks.

Too funny...

Maybe the low balances are actually because they pay such paltry interest rates that their clients move most of their funds elsewhere!!!

The local Chase bank near my home 12 years ago tried selling me to move my money to their bank. Fresh coffee, tea, bottle water and fresh baked cookies in the lobby. After the 2008 phony mortgage scandal and a huge fine the bank had to pay, the food and drink perks are no longer at the local Chase bank.

Another C level who doesn't know when to shut their pie hole.

idk, I didn't think it was that funny...making fun of your customers is not very smart. Its assumes that most folks with a low net worth are in that position because they are frivolously overspending.

From a bank that charges quite high fees on the typical account, and got a huge bail out and pays its C-suite very well, it was tone deaf.

It also makes the idiot assumption that the customers with low balances at your bank don’t have funds elsewhere.

C Suite advice:

Thank your limo driver. No cash though. They enjoy their jobs
Give your nanny a few hours off during the week
When your Admin saves you from a 14 hour layover in Gary Indiana send some flowers. Cash will send a bad precedent

Don’t bank at a place that thought charging a fee to see a teller was a good idea

The local Chase bank near my home 12 years ago tried selling me to move my money to their bank. Fresh coffee, tea, bottle water and fresh baked cookies in the lobby. After the 2008 phony mortgage scandal and a huge fine the bank had to pay, the food and drink perks are no longer at the local Chase bank.

Might be your local bank management holding back. The Chase branch around here has a few air pots of coffee and I think hot chocolate packets too.

-gauss

This thread out to bring out the strong opinions (which I see has already started).

Chase was in a strong position in 2008 and able to snap up weak players. Most of these were strongly encouraged by the Federal Reserve who was desperate to find buyers of distressed banking institutions like Washington Mutual and Bear Stearns.

The fact is that the US Government asked JP Morgan Chase to buy Bear Stearns. Bear was in such bad shape that the Fed offered to finance $30 billion in Bear Stearns mortgage backed securities in order to get Chase to do the deal.

The situation with Washington Mutual was similar. Wamu was hemorrhaging deposits quickly, and became the largest failed bank in US history. When Lehman declared bankruptcy on September 15, 2008, WaMu depositors started a run on the bank, and WaMu lost 9% of their overall deposits in just 10 days ($16.7 billion). Not long afterwards (September 25, 2008), the FDIC had to step in and take over WaMu and sold it to JP Morgan Chase. It is important to note that NO OTHER BANK bid on WaMu. NONE.

As part of the bail out funding of various institutions, the Treasury/Federal Reserve TOLD the few strong banking institutions that they needed to take the government investment for the good of the country. If they had not, the run on the weak institutions would have continued. As part of that meeting, JP Morgan chase agreed to take $25 billion in loans, which they re-payed with interest in 2009.

In a 2012 testimony, Jamie Dimon stated:
“JP Morgan took TARP because we were asked to by the Secretary of the Treasury of the United States of America. Put the FDIC in the room; the head of the New York Fed, Tim Geithner; chairman of the Federal Reserve, Ben Bernanke.

He added: “We did not, at that point, need TARP. We were asked to, because we were told, I think correctly so, that if the nine banks there, and some may have needed it, take this TARP, we can get it into all these other banks and stop the system from going down.”

Later, the federal government fines JP Morgan for mortgage issues, which the vast majority of which were from .... Bear Stearns and WaMu prior to Chase's takeover of those failing institutions....to the tune of $19 billion.

So:
1) Institutions were failing
2) Chase is asked (almost begged) to help the country by buying Bear and WaMu
3) Chase is asked to take bail out money
4) Chase repays the bail out money as soon as it was legal to do so with interest
5) Chase gets screwed by the government for issues associated with the very same institutions the government asked Chase to take.

Chase now recognizes this. In a 2015 letter to shareholders, Dimon wrote:
“In case you were wondering, No we would not do something like Bear Stearns again — in fact I don’t think our Board would let me take the call.”
He also wrote in 2015 that 70% of the legal costs that they have paid as a result of the mortgage crisis were directly attributable to the Bear Stearns and WaMu asset purchases.

One of my favorite sayings: No good deed goes unpunished.

Maybe the low balances are actually because they pay such paltry interest rates that their clients move most of their funds elsewhere!!!
Perhaps the clients with low balances may be living on the edge, living above their means and blame others for their personal choices that became their problems but won't own up to it and try to fix themselves. I know some neighbors that have low account balances ( they told me) but are living it up. At least they support the local economy.

IMO, Chase interest rates are abysmal, so money for interest goes to other institutions. However, we use our Chase Credit Card to pay for almost everything, and Chase to pay all our bills. They keep a close watch on the CC, thankfully. Just two weeks ago they notified us of an IN PERSON Credit Card charge attempt in North Dakota. Since we live in TX...

I really like how they watch that stuff.

I must be an outlier here.

I thought that a forum that espouses thrift, discipline, good money management and LBYM would embrace Chase's suggestions. Most comments seem to be slamming them.

Last edited:

I thought that a forum that espouses thrift, discipline, good money management and LBYM would embrace Chase's suggestions. Most comments seem to be slamming them.
+100/ hard for some to receive feedback and embrace it for the good of change.

Hear, hear! Er, I mean, +1 :blush:

Astonishing, and anti-business. We have a so called consumer economy. Should be pushing line of credit........:rolleyes:

IMO, Chase interest rates are abysmal, so money for interest goes to other institutions. However, we use our Chase Credit Card to pay for almost everything, and Chase to pay all our bills. They keep a close watch on the CC, thankfully. .....

+1
I would keep all my money in Chase, except they don't pay competitive interest rates, otherwise I really like the local bank and their website.

Yes they did screw me over a large personal check deposit once, by not explicitly telling me the rules. But it was years ago and I've gotten over it.

Perhaps the clients with low balances may be living on the edge, living above their means and blame others for their personal choices that became their problems but won't own up to it and try to fix themselves. I know some neighbors that have low account balances ( they told me) but are living it up. At least they support the local economy.

I took advantage of the generous Chase bonuses to open a checking and savings account there. But now I keep minimums there to avoid charges and only keep the accounts for convenience in paying credit card bills and for a couple of other potential services. I’m sure I’m not the only one keeping the bulk of their money elsewhere.

Last edited:

+1

Folks here indeed do espouse thrift and disciplined money management. At the same time, we know as fact mega-corps are bad and big banks are the worst of the bunch, which is why we collectively left their employment. So, how can something so bad do something so obviously righteous? This is either an antinomic E-R Forum moment, or it’s a true paradox? Which will it be? :)

Maybe the tweet is an example of that millennial ironic self-irony we hear so much about

Back
Top Bottom